Binos for hunting

000shock

Im keeping my eyes open for some new binos for hunting mostly and some general use. I have some old 10x50ish bushnell $20 specials that i just cant handle anymore. The image is crap. Would you guys recommend 10x42’s for the little bit of extra magnification or 8x42’s for a better field of view? Im looking in the $200-$300 range. Thanks guys!

In that price range there's some quality available from Athlon, Steiner, Kowa. Give a call, 516-217-1000, and we can discuss what would be best

Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougIn that price range there's some quality available from Athlon, Steiner, Kowa. Give a call, 516-217-1000, and we can discuss what would be best

That's what I would do. Oh ya, I guess that's what I do. Doug will fix you up.

For general use get the 8x42, much more enjoyable. Vortex diamondbacks have worked great for us, they wil replace them if damaged no questions asked. Sport Optics has them, should be able to get them in the 180$ range.

For general use, 8x42 for a wider field of view. 10x42 if you're a varmint hunter or distance hunter. Anything higher than that is useless without a tripod. Glass quality trumps magnification.

For real hunting (sitting in a blind is not real hunting) the Vortex warranty is comforting because it's easy to bang up your binos in the field from drops or laying prone with a chest harness. I just bang my Vortex Razors up and don't worry too much.

Sorry i havent updated yet. Crazy busy with baseball season about to start. I have a 10U mustang team i coach and our tball program sucks, so im coaching 14-15 4-6 year olds on my own also. Definitely trying my patience keeping everything together! Great kids though!

Doug, if i do get new you will be my source. Im still really happy with my 8-34x56 argos i put on my 204 ruger from you. Without breaking in the barrel it still grouped 3/8” at 100!

Distance will def be on the menu. Prairie dogs up to deer and antelope when i draw tags. Its pretty spacious in west nodak when you get away from the badlands. Local classifieds has some vortex diamondback 10x42 i offered $150 on but no response yet. Theres also leupold bx3 10x42 mojave’s on there for $300. I might offer $250 and look at new from there. I was just wondering what would benefit more for areas similar to mine. I am still checking now and again guys, so thanks for the help and keep the input coming!

Last edited:
Back