Round 9

DoubleUp

We had some nasty thunderstorms this afternoon and so I didn't even attempt to go tonight even though the rain had quit. It was still blowing pretty fierce. About 10 o'clock I decided to have a look with the thermal scope out the window and saw what I thought might be a coyote at the back of the field to the west which is over half a mile. I did three lone howls and saw the animal coming up the side of the field. It didn't come in, but continued on past the house at about 200 yds. distant. After I felt like it had gotten far enough beyond the house I blew a few pup distress notes. At 11 after getting my shower I decided to have another look thinking it might have circled back. Sure enough the coyote had just come into the yard. I shot him and he ran and jumped the ditch into the field and died doing somersaults. Here is the coyote, another good size male.

IMG_0484 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video:

So I'm looking down through the video list and it comes to my attention that DU seems to have the lion's share of the coyote action lately. CONGRATS DU on increasing the dead list. THANKS for the videos. Fine shooting too.

Wish I hadn't failed to get video of the pair I called in Monday night. I killed one of them at 225 yds. standing straight on and then missed the easy shot at under a 100 on the second one, bummer.

Called in another pair last night. My hunting buddy has been out with some surgery and last night was his first time back in a couple of weeks. These two coytes never would fully commit and he missed at 210 yds. Actually he had a better shot at about 165 yds. but was hoping we could get the double.

This is the female I called and shot last Monday night at 225 yds. and then missed the easy shot on the other one of the pair at 100 yds. Didn't get video.

IMG_0483 by Double Up, on Flickr

My hunting buddy missed one of a pair I called in Sat. night at 210 yds., but redeemed himself on the way home after he dropped me off and got this nice male.

Gene 50 by Double Up, on Flickr

Last night my hunting buddy was feeling poorly. He had surgery a couple of weeks back and is still recovering. Anyway I had to go it alone. This one backdoored me and was in my scent cone. I had to shoot him at 230 yds. or not get a shot. Unfortunately the stand had just started and I hadn't turned the dvr on. In the heat of the moment trying to kill him before he busted me, I forgot to flip the on switch. He looked like he was hit with the Hammer of Thor at the shot, but I couldn't find the bullet hole on him.

IMG_0492 by Double Up, on Flickr

Back