Plusar Thermion

well been waiting since Feb. shot show all the positive things about the Thermion got all my money saved up ready to buy the XP38. I've been using the ATN Thor for 5 years and no problems, I guess I might pull the trigger on a new ATN 640 core. I cant believe that Plusar is not releasing any projected shipping dates or updates at all. Really wanted the Plusar but tired of waiting....

I thought early on they projected July or August release on the Thermion. Some of the Axion monoculars are hitting the market now.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI thought early on they projected July or August release on the Thermion. Some of the Axion monoculars are hitting the market now.
I too thought Midsummer was the thermium release.

I gave someone a deposit on a XP38. I was thinking late summer. I guess I better go check some old emails and figure out who charged me $200 for a deposit.

Originally Posted By: Alan D I just watched youtube video of Axiom XM30 ! Not impressed . I hope the Thermions are a LOT BETTER ! LarryB is saving for the XP38, so it is the 17 Micron 640 core. It will look like video from the Trail XP38, but in a different form factor with a different battery system, more memory, color palettes, and color backgrounds. If a person is looking at the 320 core Thermion XM series, it will be similar to the Axion, but you have a bigger objective size on some of the Thermions such as the XM38 and the XM50 so that will make a difference. Keep in mind, the videos aren't always representative of what it looks like through the thermal. The Axion is going to be great for a person who wants a very compact monocular, and moving to the 320 core gives the monocular more base magnification. Some people want that, and some do not depending on target species and location.

I'm confused...would the 12 micron in the xm be about the same as the 17 micron in the xp. I know 640 is way better but was wondering if it's worth the extra money to go with the xp over the xm. I'm only looking for 200 yards, I want make shots over 125 yards at night and was wondering if the 640 is worth the extra money. thanks

Originally Posted By: larrybI'm confused...would the 12 micron in the xm be about the same as the 17 micron in the xp. I know 640 is way better but was wondering if it's worth the extra money to go with the xp over the xm. I'm only looking for 200 yards, I want make shots over 125 yards at night and was wondering if the 640 is worth the extra money. thanks 640 vs 384 or 320 resolution is important. The higher the number, typically, the better the image. However, what I try to stress to people is Field of View and Magnification is so important as well.

thermion.gif

The 640 will look way clearer at base mag for 2 reasons. First because the base magnification is so much lower, and 2nd because it is a 640 core. For coyotes, I wouldn't go with the XM50 unless you consistently shoot past 300 yards as 5.5x base zoom is a lot. If you call lots of multiples or shoot lots of coyotes inside of 100 yards, you may want to go with the XP38 or XP50, as you can always use the PIP feature to shoot further if needed. The tighter the cover and less distance you can see would also lend itself better to the XP series due to the wider Field of View. For instance, hog hunters when shooting at sounders of hogs, love a wide FOV. For coyote hunting, I personally like a bit more magnification but that is personal preference and due to the wide open terrain I hunt.

If you consistently shoot coyotes at 100+ yards, you may want to go with the XM30 or XM38 and/or want to save some money.

thanks for your feedback, I forgot to tell you that I hog hunt 90% of the time, usually on open fields, but in some cover. the only coyote hunting I do is if they wonder in after I shoot hogs. not really concerned with the cost just want to get the best bang for my buck. I have an older atn 320 thermal and handheld they do a good job. just looking to upgrade and use the atn for a back up unit or if some one wants to go hunting with me. again thanks for the input.

If hogs are what you are after, and you typically are hunting groups/sounder of hogs at a time where you will plan to have follow up shots, the XPs would suite the needs of most people better than the XMs.

I shoot with a Flir PTS536 thermal, and it has a 4.5 x 3.5 FOV, so just a bit wider than the XM50 and I could shoot hogs with it but we don't have them in ND. I shot a quad, a few triples, and lots and lots of doubles coyote hunting with it. It is harder to find the 2nd, 3rd, 4th target, but it can be done, and the mag is nice once they are in scope. With the PIP feature of Pulsar scopes, you can get by with a wider FOV in comparison to other brands because you can always have PIP on and still be useful for longer shots.

On the flip side, you could get an XM30 and almost a scanner for the price of the XP50, so it really depends a lot on budget. I would give Tom at Night Goggles a shout as he can provide more information on hog hunting and thermals. 909-312-5424 X531

I am glad I got an Apex XQ38 when I did. The 2.2x base magnification is all I need where I hunt and sometimes actually a little too much. I wish I had a bit more fov at times. There seems to be somewhat of a void at the moment with Pulsar scopes considering fov and price. The trend for lower priced scopes seems to be going with more magnification, which isn’t so good for guys like me who hunt somewhat tighter quarters, and the Trail models are more costly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06There seems to be somewhat of a void at the moment with Pulsar scopes considering fov and price. The trend for lower priced scopes seems to be going with more magnification, which isn’t so good for guys like me who hunt somewhat tighter quarters, and the Trail models are more costly. 6mm06, you are correct. This is not just with Pulsar but really any company going to a 12 micron core. The 640s increase the FOV but then the price goes up. However, this is where eventually the sweet spot will be that will get many scopes available in the 1.75x to 2x base mag range. The 17 micron cores actually suited a lot of low magnification/wider FOV applications. We have to keep in mind that companies like Pulsar are selling to lots of different countries and needs vary depending on species/terrain/location/regulations, etc. Even in the US, different terrains, and target species can change recommendations drastically.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I am glad I got an Apex XQ38 when I did. The 2.2x base magnification is all I need where I hunt and sometimes actually a little too much. I wish I had a bit more fov at times. There seems to be somewhat of a void at the moment with Pulsar scopes considering fov and price. The trend for lower priced scopes seems to be going with more magnification, which isn’t so good for guys like me who hunt somewhat tighter quarters, and the Trail models are more costly.

I own the same unit and never use the zoom. 2.2 and PIP is all I have needed so far.

For those select few that have the Thermion tell what you think about them. The few videos out there look decent. How does the PIP look? I'm guessing it's not needed as much as it once was due to the higher power of magnification.

Would love to hear more first hand opinions and videos.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hope this isn't considered a hijack. Ive been offered a smokein cheap deal on either a thermion xm38
or a trail xq38 but have to wait maybe a month or more for the xq 38. Same price what would you experts choose. Using it as a guest scope for pigs and 175 yards would be a long shot. Mostly over feeders at 100 yards or less.

Originally Posted By: igorHope this isn't considered a hijack. Ive been offered a smokein cheap deal on either a thermion xm38 or a trail xq38 but have to wait maybe a month or more for the xq 38. Same price what would you experts choose. Using it as a guest scope for pigs and 175 yards would be a long shot. Mostly over feeders at 100 yards or less. The Thermions are just starting to ship. Very few people have had a chance to use them so most is going to be speculation. However in looking at the specs of both scopes and based off other scopes with similar specs, here are your comparisons:

Thermion XM38, 4x Base Mag, 5.8x4.3 FOV, 320 res - 12 micron core
Trail XQ38, 2.1x Base Mag, 9.8 x 7.4FOV, 384 res - 17 micron core

Thermion Advantages:
Works on Bolt guns easier due to overall scope design (30mm)
Better ID due to higher base magnification and 12 micron core
Color Palettes and Reticles
Rated 350 yards more detection
2x video memory of Trail

Trail Advantages:
Longer Lasting Batteries
Better background image

I think either will work. If you typically shooting at singles, I would potentially lean towards the Thermion. If you get larger sounders of hogs on your feeders at a time, the Trail will have a wider FOV and a Trail XQ38 can handle 175 yards, especially with PIP.

You could also consider the Thermion XM30. It is 3.5x base mag with a FOV of 7.3x5.5 so between the two units and is less expensive than both and still has the same Detection range as the Trail XQ38.

Go to your feeders during the day with a glass scope at 2x and scan the feeder with the scope, and then change to 4x and scan the feeder and see what FOV you would want.

Thanks for the input Kirsch. Its obvious why your a pro staffer. I'm choosing to wait for the trail xq38 because of the batteries (already have a spare) and the mounting. This scope will do double duty as a scanner 90% of the time but will be wanting to mount it on a weapon occasionally. Also the better background detail is enticing. I have an xp50 that is exceptional as a scanner and unless I spend a lot of time tuning my trijicons they don't look any better than my trail. My Trijicons allways look slightly grainier. I don't know if I have one in a thousand of the best trails or maybe I have 3 slightly poor trijicons. My Trijicons are MK2 35mm and are plenty good but the Trail I just turn it on and set the front focus once and its fabulous. It makes me wonder how the quality control in the manufacturing process works and how (or if) one collection of components and lenses comes together to occasionally make an exceptional unit. Now if I can just get a trail to hold zero!

Last edited:
Back