Stoner 22" 243 lr 308 A3 upper......which buffer set up?

varminter .223

Getting ready to order a lower and everything that goes with it for one of these Stoner uppers. I'm seeing a little bit of conflicting information online about what buffer tube, buffer and spring will work. Has anyone been down this road?

Last edited:
Use a 308 Carbine Buffer and Spring
or
Use The 308 Rifle Buffer and Spring.
Depends on which AR10 Stock you choose to set up your Lower.
An Adjustable Gas Block is Almost a necessity on a AR10"s.... 308,.260,.6.5,,243, 6CM, 6.5CM, etc.,

Last edited:
I ordered a complete lower from Palmetto with a ACS L stock and the PA10 "short" buffer. My buddy has the same assembly and we shot his 243 upper and there were some ejector marks. I would say an adjustable gb would not hurt.

Last edited:
I bought one last fall when they were on sale for $449 shipped...and haven’t shot it yet. I also picked up a complete aero prescion A5 lower with a a rifle length buffer tube installed on Black Friday for $200 shipped direct from Areo. The upper and lower fits like a glove. I installed a cmc single stage 2.5 lb trigger, a R25/450 bushmaster stock direct from bushmaster for $52!…to bad they aren’t available anymore, a couple of P mags, and I received my Warne 20 Moa Tactical grey base the other day which was the last piece of the puzzle. I’ll get it mounted up by the end of the week along with my Nikon 4.5x14 40 BDC optic and shoot it. I did buy a fluted three protector off amazon for $9.99 and picked up an extra.

From everything I read I needed a rifle length buffer being the barrel was 22”. I wouldn’t want a folding stock for this, long heavy upper. IMO it would look out of place and goofy along with being extremely unbalanced.

It’s cheaper to buy a complete A5 lower with a rifle buffer installed as I did. Drama done...ready to shoot. They were $249 or $269 shipped last time a I checked normal price directly from Areo. The factory trigger was actually really nice but l like light.

Here’s some pics of it I posted...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...336#Post3200336

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...2190&page=3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willy1947This is what I use in my DPMS 308 & 243
https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/enidines-hydraulic-ar-10-buffer/
I looked they don't make them anymore
JoeBob's has a nice one for the AR10 for $180

I used one of the Enidine Hydraulic Buffers for about 2 years on a AR15 5.56 as Hog hunting Set up(about 200 head killed). Worked Good until one Night, When the Rifle fired one Round and Stove-Piped, and I watched a dozen Hogs run off over the Horizon, GONE! On inspecting my Rifle the Hydraulic Buffer Had Come to pieces. I Put a Standard Spring/ Buffer in it, been cycling Fine for over for 250 more Kills.

Last edited:
Got my optic mounted today. Ill probably wait till monday to try it out. Gonna name it my 243 BMG since its weight feels in comparison to it.lol

Good part is I had enough eye clearance to mount my optic forward of the charging handle.

oJhGOQN.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I ordered a complete lower from Palmetto with a ACS L stock and the PA10 "short" buffer. My buddy has the same assembly and we shot his 243 upper and there were some ejector marks. I would say an adjustable gb would not hurt.

..not sure what you went with, but hopefully it was adjustable gas block...especially if you shoot or plan on shooting suppressed. I wasted money on "special buffers"...Bought a JP Ent Adjustable GB..for half the price of buffer...put original buffer in and my .243 ejects perfectly. Suppressed and unsupressed...

Originally Posted By: willy1947This is what I use in my DPMS 308 & 243

i had one of those on my lr308 until i got my suppressor - then had to go the AGB route. Even a slash's XH (10oz iIrc) wouldnt tame it. it used to be great on my 16" carbine gas upper [beeep]... totally tamed the lock time issues i had with that rig.

I bought the same 22" 243 upper as varminter 223. I put it on the cheapest PSA folding stock lower they offered and put a RR two stage varmint trigger in the lower. With factory loads and lower powered hand loads it will either stove pipes, fails to feed the next round or the brass just falls out of the gun. With max load (and best shooting load) it ejects just fine. I guess I wont mess with it. I am also getting pressure signs (flat primers) on factory ammo which I don't understand. I was using brass sized tight for my bolt action. I just got some Small base 243 dies I am going to try.

Originally Posted By: dozer_xjI bought the same 22" 243 upper as varminter 223. I put it on the cheapest PSA folding stock lower they offered and put a RR two stage varmint trigger in the lower. With factory loads and lower powered hand loads it will either stove pipes, fails to feed the next round or the brass just falls out of the gun. With max load (and best shooting load) it ejects just fine. I guess I wont mess with it. I am also getting pressure signs (flat primers) on factory ammo which I don't understand. I was using brass sized tight for my bolt action. I just got some Small base 243 dies I am going to try.

Sounds like the small base dies fixed the issue! ...his gun is a tack driver now.

Yes the RCBS small base dies made my gun very reliable. That BCA upper shoots clover leafs at 100 yards with 60 grain hollow point sierras. This upper is an awesome value!

I think the gun is over gassed because it ejects at about 1 oclock and the brass has swipes but it is shooting so good i am going to leave it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dozer_xjI bought the same 22" 243 upper as varminter 223. I put it on the cheapest PSA folding stock lower they offered and put a RR two stage varmint trigger in the lower. With factory loads and lower powered hand loads it will either stove pipes, fails to feed the next round or the brass just falls out of the gun. With max load (and best shooting load) it ejects just fine. I guess I wont mess with it. I am also getting pressure signs (flat primers) on factory ammo which I don't understand. I was using brass sized tight for my bolt action. I just got some Small base 243 dies I am going to try.
If your getting flat primers on Factory ammo,
Check your OAL of the Factory ammo.
You may need to seat the Bullet deeper in the case.
Probably touching the lands.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: willy1947This is what I use in my DPMS 308 & 243

i had one of those on my lr308 until i got my suppressor - then had to go the AGB route. Even a slash's XH (10oz iIrc) wouldnt tame it. it used to be great on my 16" carbine gas upper [beeep]... totally tamed the lock time issues i had with that rig.

When I joined this group I was told to buy a Specwar 7,62. That I did I have had no problems, nothing changed.

Back