17 Hornet reloads

Im still working up a load for these, but so far I cant seem to do much better .75 @ 100yds. I have tried both 1680 and 2200 and 3 different primers with similar results out of my savage.
Always have some flyers, never consistent like Nosler's tipped 20gr bullets which group .4 or better on a regular basis.
12 gr. of 1680 has always worked on most 20 grainers but these little pills seem to require something a little different. Have not tried them on live game so I cant comment on how the perform.
When I get a chance am going to so slow them down to 3000fps and see if that helps.

Last edited:
You are not alone with your accuracy issues with those bullets. I have tried them in my .17 Remington and here lately my .17 Hornet and got disappointing results with both. I really had hopes for them in the Hornet but for sure they will not shoot as good in my gun as it will the 20 grain Vmax. Yesterday on our local ground squirrels I had several well hit rodents that did not immediately expire. Some did for sure but there was never an issue with the Vmax. Total blowups every time with really some impressive launches. I am sold on the Vmax.

AA 1680 shoots great in my gun but I have settled on 12.5 grains of CFE BLK as I use that as well in my .221 Fireball. That load works well in shooting partners gun so I'm guessing it will do you good too.

Keep ups posted if you do find a good load for that bullet. I still have lots of them and would rather shoot them up than let them sit on the shelf.

When I first got my CZ. I only could get Factory,20gr V-Max. I shot my first coyote in the chest DRT. But it blew a 1 1/2 inch hole out his side. Right there I decided never to use V-Max. So I bought a loader and loaded 25 gr. HP with IMR4227, acc.1680 and 2200. I trimmed brass, changed primers etc. I noticed two important things. First trying to get higher FPS my group opened up. But the group was still good for fox and coyote. I mean lets be honest if you could put a round in a 3 inch circle or less at 200yds. I could still take frontal shot on a fox at that range and drop him. But then I wanted to know if the round was going to blow holes, so I tested it in comparison to the factory 20gr. V-Max. for damage. What ended up happening was I reduced my powder charge so I was shooting 25 gr. HP at 2950 FPS according to the Chronograph. My group is around 1 1/2 inches at 200yds. and every fox and coyote from 20yds to now 235 yds. have drop right there without a twitch. After multiple autopsy, I have concluded that the round upon entering into flesh starts to expand, by the time it enters into the chest cavity it has fully expanded sending shrapnel into the vitals. All the energy is dumped, sending a shock wave sort of speak of that violently disrupts the vital organs. The rounds never come out. The only fur damage is a hole the size of the diameter of the bullet entering. If you would like to see a autopsy on a coyote, I just did another on this coyote that was shot at 235yds.
G183GVc.jpg

I have 20gr. I want to try for chucks, I still have factory 20gr.V-Max. as well. I wont use them on predators. My pet load is 25gr.HP with AA2200 11.5 grains. With this load I'm around 2950 FPS. It hasn't done any fur damage to fox or coyote pelts yet and decimates the insides of even the largest coyote. I was out calling one night and had a pair come quick, I got this 53lb. to stop just over 180yds. It dropped were it stood with one shot behind the shoulder.
IjnHJaMm.jpg

Hey FurTaker are you using Hornady 25 gr HP or the Berger's ?
The 25 gr Berger's shoot awesome out of my savage, several groups at .4''

Last edited:
Hornady 25gr HP. Couldn't find any others. I'm not a big fan of V-Max. after killing that coyote with the 20gr. and blowing a hole out the other side. Also heard Hornady is going to stop making them. But I found
USASPORTS. I think it was still selling 25gr.HP in factory and picked up 500 rounds from them. So Ill use my reloads for fox and coyotes. When its just coyote season I can use factory 25's.

Originally Posted By: MatlockNot the same bullet, but 12.5 grains of CFE BLK will put 5 into a dime (or less) with a 20gr Zmax.

Yup. Or the 20 grain Vmax as well. I plan on wearing out a few of our local ground squirrels tomorrow with mine. Sure works well on the critters.

I have been using them, 20gr.HP Varmageddon, loaded to 1.710 OAL with 12.5gr CFEBlk, Remington 6 1/2 primers. I can put them in a dime all day long at 100, and if the wind isn't acting up I can keep them in 1.5 inches at 200. This is with a Savage 25 walking with the 22" barrel.

Greg

Last edited:
Back