I'm looking into night vision(maybe thermal), I could use some help from people with experience.

Rock Knocker

I'm thinking about buying some night vision. I'm pretty sure head mounted is the way I want to go.

In Minnesota it's not legal to coyote hunt with night vision or thermal... yet, hopefully it changes. So spotting and hunting won't be it's main role. I want it for hiking around at night, possibly shooting at some rodents or problem animals terrorizing chickens and maybe some fun target shooting at night.

There's night vision and thermal options. I've done a good amount of reading on PVS14's, which gives me questions about filmed or unfilmed, white phosphor, gated etc... Most of what I see are gen 3, I see optics planet has some gen 4 options but I'm not even sure what gen 4 is.

There are also some head mounted thermal options. Are they better? Better for spotting small critters I understand but are there more uses?

I want this to be a spend big and cry once type of purchase, I'm not looking to cut corners or dig through bargain bins. As far as I know there's really no way for me to test drive some of the options and see for myself what I like more.

We can’t use thermal or nv yet either but I’m trying to keep up to speed with this technology as fast as it is changing. I suggest contacting the different dealers, some of them are on here.

A few offer rentals. That would be a good way to try a few out & see what works for you. Let me know what you find out, I’m in the same predicament, lol.

I have went a step further. I’ve been in contact with my State Representative and we have a house bill in motion to change the law to allow our Game Commission to ok the use of thermal & night vision. Slow process but at least there’s a chance that it will change.

Sounds to me that you want a helmet mounted gen 3 PVS14 and a IR laser mounted on your rifle.
Green, filmed, auto gated will be the best bang for your buck.
From experience I recommend that you contact TNVC.

Last edited:
If you are going PVS-14 white phosphors, filmless is a much better picture. It can also be mounted behind your day scope. Nothing beats thermal for scanning & spotting, & IMO shooting.

Last edited:
Filmed and unfilmed is something I was curious about. I understand the concept, at least as much as a layman can, how much does it change the image and how much does it help the life of the unit? I don't plan on using this where many lights are around, no door kicking or sneaking around with street lights or headlights around.

The white phosphors also, are there actually benefits or is it just a matter of preference for most people?

I've played around with a gen 3 ITT rifle scope but it was bought used by a friend and it seemed quite used, it wasn't too impressive.

I am quite interested in the possibility of a rental like Mick brought up, I hadn't thought about that before, anyone know a place?

How about the life expectancy of the tube when it comes to filmed or not? Does the film really help save the tube from light damage or will auto shutoffs, auto gated or what not on an unfilmed tube do the same thing that fimed would do?

The NV would likely serve better for just plain hiking around with an IR light source added.

To hunt, the Thermal platform is without a doubt better.

Three44s

I spent some time looking into the FLIR Breach. The FLIR seems like a handy little unit but not very good resolution and the battery life sounds horrible having to replace a $3-$5 CR123 every 1.5 hours would keep the unit at home, decent price though.

So I think I'm sticking to night vision to start with, that way I get good resolution and I can attach it to a rifle scope or use IR lasers for shooting.

If MN hunting laws change I can then get something like a FLIR Breach and ether mount both on a helmet or mount the NVG to a scope and scan with the thermals.

Rock knocker, PM if you like I can forward you my cell or I can call you to discuss many options with you. Even if you dont buy from, always good to have an educated decision.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerHow about the life expectancy of the tube when it comes to filmed or not? Does the film really help save the tube from light damage or will auto shutoffs, auto gated or what not on an unfilmed tube do the same thing that fimed would do?

Both filmed or unfilmed around 10,000hrs useful life. Both tube flavors have autogated power supplies. They will also power off automatically if the electronics sense a super bright and sudden light source.

Color of the phosphor really does not allow you to see better IMHO, but some Mil members who are on NODS for hours each night say the white is more comfortable on their eyes after prolonged use.

Back