Stopping Approaching Coyotes

Kirsch

A lot of people whistle, bark, or shout at coyotes to stop them for a standing shot. I typically just shout a quick "hey" and they almost always check up. However, this was a stand where I had 4 coyotes approaching slowly vs on a dead run and I shouted "hey" at the wrong time. If they are coming fast and hard, it almost always works. However, when they are really close and about to stop naturally, shouting at a coyote can be a bad thing as seen on this video as it spooked the coyote. Looking back, I should have either done a quick lip squeak, or let it stop naturally. The coyote's reaction changed my thought pattern from "how many am I going to get", to "oh no, I better get one." The video was captured with a Flir PTS536 during the night with 100% snow coverage, and 95% humidity. It is a fairly long video. The coyote gets spooked at 3:12 if you wish to skip ahead.

A bark works for me. Sometimes they run but mostly just stop and are curious. And yes being greedy has left me with no coyotes a few times. I try to concentrate on one at a time now. This winter I did some fancy shooting only to have 2 run off wounded. Both fell over with legs straight up and quivering. The time it took to shooting the second one the first ran off??? Then I go back to the second and it's gone..

Try a very soft mouth howl as you start squeeeezing the trigger. No lip or jaw or chest movement required like for a "bark" or "hey" which movement disrupts your point of aim.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisFail Buddy! At night I growl and day I bark. Nice work on the one. When was the video taken? Middle of January. I ended up with 10 for the night and this stand started a major run of consecutive kills. This is still one of those stands that sticks out as one that I messed up even though I did get one.
thumbup.gif

I didn’t think it was filmed recently because of the 4 coming in.

I have all th per equipment needed and am going to dedicate a lot more time hunting at night this coming season.

Most of the time I'll "woof" at them if I need them to stop. Had two come in and one almost ran the call over last Winter. I knew they weren't gonna stop no matter what so I just shot them.

I've had a few get scared when I made noise so I try to let them stop on their own if I can. If they're close and not stopping I shoot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGTry a very soft mouth howl as you start squeeeezing the trigger. No lip or jaw or chest movement required like for a "bark" or "hey" which movement disrupts your point of aim.

^^^+1

I've had a few turn and bolt even with a howl, so it should be soft.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGTry a very soft mouth howl as you start squeeeezing the trigger. No lip or jaw or chest movement required like for a "bark" or "hey" which movement disrupts your point of aim.

This is why I love reading this forum. Great idea!

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGTry a very soft mouth howl as you start squeeeezing the trigger. No lip or jaw or chest movement required like for a "bark" or "hey" which movement disrupts your point of aim. ^^^+1
I've used the "hey" at hundreds of coyotes and this was the first time I ever had one react this bad to it. Even so, if I would have stayed on the coyote, it went 10 yards and stopped. With the harsh reaction, I jumped to a 2nd coyote right away. The coyote wasn't approaching hard enough so I startled it a bit too much.

Nice idea with the "soft howl" as well. After using "hey" for 20+ years, it may be hard to teach an old dog, new tricks. The only time I typically use any sound is when they are hard charging, and it doesn't appear they are going to stop naturally or I have a limited shooting spot and then I will do it.

Every coyote is different. Just like some are tougher to kill than others. My problem is I get so wrapped up on hard chargers that I forget to do any noise. When it is over I call myself a dumb a-- and go on to the next one.

I'm with Rudy, only one time I can remember barking or making any noise. It did work, I killed the coyote. Maybe next time I'll do better.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGTry a very soft mouth howl as you start squeeeezing the trigger. No lip or jaw or chest movement required like for a "bark" or "hey" which movement disrupts your point of aim. ^^^+1
I've used the "hey" at hundreds of coyotes and this was the first time I ever had one react this bad to it. Even so, if I would have stayed on the coyote, it went 10 yards and stopped. With the harsh reaction, I jumped to a 2nd coyote right away. The coyote wasn't approaching hard enough so I startled it a bit too much.

Nice idea with the "soft howl" as well. After using "hey" for 20+ years, it may be hard to teach an old dog, new tricks. The only time I typically use any sound is when they are hard charging, and it doesn't appear they are going to stop naturally or I have a limited shooting spot and then I will do it.

I hear ya. I will let them naturally stop if I can. Different years, different coyotes, different results. Keeps it interesting.

I am usually a woof, or long howl guy myself. Those came like more Easteren ND/ MN coyotes than what I run into farther West. Myself they I would of picked the one I wanted and waited until they stopped on their own, then hit the ki-yi. Guessing one of the two to the left would of gave another shot or start hammering as they left. How far were they when you stopped them? I let them come as far as they will, unless they are getting to my wind.

Reminded me of the few times that I shut off the caller after having a group charging in to a pup distress, instead of slowing or stopping they swapped ends and headed out. Have had that happen a few times, and I don't recommend trying it...

Originally Posted By: HunterLee I am usually a woof, or long howl guy myself. Those came like more Easteren ND/ MN coyotes than what I run into farther West. Myself they I would of picked the one I wanted and waited until they stopped on their own, then hit the ki-yi. Guessing one of the two to the left would of gave another shot or start hammering as they left. How far were they when you stopped them? I let them come as far as they will, unless they are getting to my wind. I usually have coyotes come in really hot/fast. These coyotes came in very late on the stand. They came in to a very non-aggressive vocalization and approached slowly.

They got to about 70 yards when I shouted. The reason to stop this coyote was the ones to the left were going to wind me. If the coyote had stopped naturally or when I shouted, pretty sure I would have gotten 2 for sure.

Had always used a "woof" to stop mine. Not 100% but usually. Have of late used a lip squeak first, if not stopping go to the woof and then a whistle. If they have turned and are leaving then woofing or a whistle has been doing the trick. If they are in a full out run then might as well forget it and try to stop them with the 55 gr. V-max as was suggested.

Back