Couple AR reloading questions

22 Chuck

Is it true:?

ARs like the bullet to 'jump'?

Heavier bullets like/require slower powder? Is going from 87 gr to 100 gr "heavier' for that question?

Can any one list case volumes for 25 DTI and 25-45 Sharps, please. Any good 25-45 loads youd share.

Thank you.
Chuck

The AR chambers like the same jump you'd use in a bolt gun. Based on magazine length the jump can be shortened somewhat but you won't be hitting the lands in many combinations.

I'll dig up some 25X45 stuff tomorrow.

Greg

IMO the desired "jump" is more dependent on the specific barrel and bullet vs. the type of action.

As mentioned, magazines are the limiting factory on Cartridge Overall Length (COAL) as is with just about any magazine fed rifle.

Some magazines allow slightly longer seating whereas some people modify their magazines to get a slightly longer COAL.

I wouldn't say as a general rule AR type rifles prefer more jump than say a bolt action... at least with over 30 AR15 type rifles and some 25 years of loading for them I've not come to that conclusion.

The standard COAL for the .223 in the AR is 2.260" and I've had fantastic loads at that mark.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptIMO the desired "jump" is more dependent on the specific barrel and bullet vs. the type of action.

As mentioned, magazines are the limiting factory on Cartridge Overall Length (COAL) as is with just about any magazine fed rifle.

Some magazines allow slightly longer seating whereas some people modify their magazines to get a slightly longer COAL.

I wouldn't say as a general rule AR type rifles prefer more jump than say a bolt action... at least with over 30 AR15 type rifles and some 25 years of loading for them I've not come to that conclusion.

The standard COAL for the .223 in the AR is 2.260" and I've had fantastic loads at that mark.
+1

If I'm trying to maximize accuracy, I reload for my AR's the same way I reload for any other rifle I have. I'll go so far as to use a modified case to measure max COAL, so I can seat bullets 0.005" to 0.010 off the lands. Standard COAL in an AR is 2.260" but, with the stainless AR-Stoner magazines, you can easily go as long as 2.300" without making any modifications.

Back