Favorite power scope for coyote hunting AR?

Originally Posted By: SmeshOriginally Posted By: Jeff MockNightforce 2.5-10 x 32, velocity 600 reticle...

380995_2639184987677_1375112577_n.jpg

Jeff, Can you tell me more about this rifle? Love the butt stock with adjustable cheek piece. Why the one piece base and rings? Is this for QR purposes?

The rifle was built by Scott Milkovich from Specialized Dynamics.

It is chambered in .223, 20"bbl, and has a Geissele 2 stage national match trigger, Ergo Grip and a MagPul PRS stock.

I just really prefer the one piece scope mounts.

This gun is a serious shooter!

Give Scott a shout and I'm sure he can build you a shooter as well!

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockOriginally Posted By: SmeshOriginally Posted By: Jeff MockNightforce 2.5-10 x 32, velocity 600 reticle...

Jeff, Can you tell me more about this rifle? Love the butt stock with adjustable cheek piece. Why the one piece base and rings? Is this for QR purposes?

It is chambered in .223, 20"bbl, and has a Geissele 2 stage national match trigger, Ergo Grip and a MagPul PRS stock.

Can't get no better than that right there!
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockOriginally Posted By: SmeshOriginally Posted By: Jeff MockNightforce 2.5-10 x 32, velocity 600 reticle...

That is still one of the sexiest guns I have seen Scott build.

I use a 2-7X when I am hunting bobcats and foxes up close, and I use a 3-9X when I am normally hunting coyotes inside of 150 yards. 6-24X if I am out on the plains shooting prairie dogs.

I run a 4.5-14 x 40 on my ARs.
I leave it on the lowest setting at all times unless I have to zoom in for indentifying better.
4.5 is perfect to 400 yards so far.

Quote: If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King and brought out of moth balls by Vartarg217. And Id extend that to anyone under the age of 30, PHD or not.

Quote: "Favorite power scope for coyote hunting AR?" There sure is a lot of silence on the question since more than 6 years ago.

Im boasting the Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS-HUD-DMR scope for all its finery. Ranging being its top shelf capability. There are numerous attributes to this fine scope. Its now 16" length, with a sun-shade, atop an 18" AR10 barrel. The whole affair is not your handy dandy light maneuverable 30-30 Winchester lever action brush gun, but for stand snipping coyotes or chucks, its a dead on killer.

Originally Posted By: Gryphon There sure is a lot of silence on the question since more than 6 years ago.

yeah, that happens to threads that are many years old.

hold crap this is an old thread. to answer the question. I prefer 2.5-absolute max of 4x on the low end. I also prefer the scope not to have a massive erector zoom ratio like we see now days with 6x or more ratio. 3-12, 2.5-10 is my favorites in that range. basically I get great FOV, but I can just simply max out the scope power if I want to and I can easily still find the target. I operate the scope on lowest or max power, not much in between normally.

Well back when I posted on this tread in June of 2011, I had different scopes on my AR’s.
Now we run Leupold Mark AR scopes on 3 different Rock Rivers.
Leupold MarkAR 1.25-4x20 Fire-dot on both a Rock River 18” R-3, and 20” Coyote.
Leupold MarkAR 3-9x40 Mil-Dot. On a 20” Predator Pursuit.
I can’t believe how much I love these lower power scopes for coyote hunting, past 2 winters 4 of use have killed over 130+ yotes and 20+ Red Fox.

"4X" // At one time the leading scope was a 2.75X.
4X was a varmint scope. Things change.

For long range, I use my Leupold 6.5X20X40.

Back