Browning bxd shotgun ammo

Boommeup

Has anyone tired these on coyotes? 3 1/2 BB’s 1450 FPS suppose to be plated steel. On sale @ $20.00 a box after rebate. Would this be 12g/cc harden shot? Thanks to all that reply!

Steel you said. Can't be anywhere close to 12/cc if it's any kind of steel. Steel BB is way too loose in the loafers for coyote.

- DAA

Boommeup, remington and Win #4 Buck would cost a tad more, well worth the money.

Even Rio and other off brands of #4 buck would be better on coyotes than bb in steel.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/12-gauge?ss=4-Buck

I use Extra full chokes and one turkey choke in various shotguns for Four buck with great patterns at forty yards.

Last edited:
Here goes nothing.

Steel kills every bit as good as lead, we had to shoot steel for ducks in MN much earlier than the rest of the nation, I think it was 1979 and we made the transition from lead to steel with nary a hiccup BUT our duck guns were our skeet guns and we shot 7 1/2 lead over decoys for ducks and #4 steel killed them just as dead at that same range that lead 7 1/2's did. We rarely shot at a duck that wasn't feet down coming into the decoys so anything over 20 yards was rarely shot at.

Steel BB's will kill coyotes just fine, again the BUT, you have to wait until they are in the effective range of steel BB shot which is much LESS than the same size lead shot.

Steel kills very well if you keep your shots inside the effective range of the shot size you are using.

Last edited:
AWS, so what you are saying is steel is highly inefficient and must be limited to larger shot sizes, with lower pellet counts and limited penetration per pellet as compared to lead? Plus considerably shorter effective ranges given these limitations? So, with all that said, steel works if you are close enough? Good to know!
smile.gif

Actually there are more steel pellets per oz. than lead of the same size.
Yes, you need to use a larger size steel pellet to approximate lead. 1 oz. of steel T's has 52 pellets, 1 oz. of lead BB's has 51 pellets. Again the BUTs, larger steel shot has more wind resistance and less penetration than a lead BB although the weigh is virtually the same. Patterns with the steel might be better due to less pellet deformation.

My bird hunting partner uses steel 3's and 4's for all his upland hunting as he hunts a lot of irrigation ditches for pheasant and has numerous opportunities to shoot flushed ducks. He has killed more than his share of coyotes either flushed from the grass along the ditches or one his pointers have jumped and run back at him with his 3's and 4's. I don't think he's ever complained about the steel shot being ineffective but I doubt he's ever shot one beyond 20 yards. He says that most of the coyotes he encounters are close or they are farther away, not many in the middle ground where lead pellets might give him a little more range. He is looking for a drilling in 20ga with a 6.5x52R(25-35 Win) rifle barrel so he can stretch out his range on coyotes as they are abundant on his hunting grounds.

I hunt with lead equivalent non-toxics so my killing them with the shotgun is not relevant to this discussion.

Do I advocate using steel for coyotes, Yes if your willing to wait until they are within effective range of the steel shot you are using. In non-toxic areas such as CA not everyone can afford Dead Coyotes or any of the other high density loads out there. Steel will work if you get them close enough. Pattern your loads and do some penetration tests to see what your limitations are.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWS...Yes, you need to use a larger size steel pellet to approximate lead.

...Again the BUTs, larger steel shot has more wind resistance and less penetration than a lead...

My bird hunting partner uses steel 3's and 4's for all his upland hunting... I don't think he's ever complained about the steel shot being ineffective but I doubt he's ever shot one beyond 20 yards.

I hunt with lead equivalent non-toxics so my killing them with the shotgun is not relevant to this discussion.

Do I advocate using steel for coyotes, Yes if your willing to wait until they are within effective range of the steel shot you are using.

Steel will work if you get them close enough.

Beats throwing a handful of gravel, yes. Otherwise if there is any other alternative and no restrictions there is no logical reason to use it.

Your a braze man AWS for being so steel friendly! And your correct, Let them get close. But in my experience I’d have to agree with GC beats throwing gravel... I won’t be trying these shells.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics.

1450 fps steel BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 13.5 yards.
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards.
1180 fps lead number 4 buck shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 100.3 yards.

The lead number 4 buck shot gets good penetration way out past where the pattern fails.

AWS is a good guy. I actually get his point, it works under the right conditions, ect. Having no restrictions that require actually using the stuff there would be no real reason to go there is my point. It's all good.

I understand completely GC!!! Very interesting on the ballistics on those different rounds. I do like 4 buck, bought Lee’s mould years ago. Just haven’t played with it yet! Soft lead, Linotype or a mixture of both??? Any one have experienced with making your own buckshot? Tired hornady’s seems real soft. Your right Derby pattern spreads real fast!

Derbyacresbob

Could you supply the penetration of steel T's at 1450 fps compared to Lead BB's you've shown?

Thank You in advance.

I use lead BB's in my combo guns, 1 oz. of nickel plated BB's in my 16ga and 1 1/4 oz in my 12ga and have very good luck with them. Here's the BUT again, these are combo guns and I don't have to stretch the distance beyond 40 yards as I have a rifle barrel an instant away for anything beyond that.

16ga at 39 paces 1oz NP BB's the BB's did break leg bones
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/923/PnIUhQ.jpg
PnIUhQ.jpg

This one is with the 12ga w/NP BB's 52 paces to the carcass s0 it was shot at around 45-50 paces it dropped at the shot but forward momentum added a couple yards.

xGZlAI.jpg

I do have loads of ITX and Bismuth BB's for non-toxic areas but haven't used them yet and 50gr NBT Lead Frees for the rifle barrel.

Last edited:
I tried the standard S&B 4b, penetration was poor. I see Fiocchi nickel plated 4b ammo listed has anyone tried these on winter northern coyote?

1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards.
1450 fps steel T shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 20.8 yards.
1800 fps steel T shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 32.7 yards.
1300 fps HW13 or Hevi-Shot BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.4 yards.

Thank you for the prompt response. That casts a very dim light on steel even in larger sizes. I'd still use it if it was all I could find and concentrate on finding really ideal stands for closer shots.

I've cast .31 round balls for an old BP pistol that I have in pure lead. I've also taken the mould and cast them from wheel weights and used them in buckshot reloads and they patterned nicely but never got to use them for anything other than experimenting. I've never been a buckshot fan as it has been pretty unpredictable for me even in factory loads, when I tested them years ago 1960's one round would pattern nicely and the next was poor.

Yet there was a time I bet my life on the stuff carrying an old Steven's pump loaded with 9 pellets of 00 on patrol in Vietnam. Luckily I wasn't call for patrol duty very often I never had to fire it other than practicing with it.

BB's has worked well for me over the years.

Last edited:
We have to shoot steel shot on crows here before Nov. 1, and let me tell you it sucks. BB steel 3" mags will kill coyotes, aim at their heads, shots have to be close or a lot of wounding will be the result.

Boommeup, here is a link to a guy that kills a lot of deer with buckshot, he has a lot of loads shooting various chokes. His name is Wade and he uses Lee molds and sharp shooter molds.

He mixes 50/50 wheel weights and Linotype for some super hard buck shot, which gives him the patterns that you will see.

I have yet to load my Tss shot, and if you can afford it, the TSS will outperform anything and everything. Hard cast lead or lead from Ballistic Products will kill well, but you have to work up a load, just like shooting a rifle.

Every thing talked about is correct.
Steel will work fine IF you have to use steel.
Tungsten will work SOOOO much better with WAY more distance and pellet count ( because) you can use smaller shot and get the same penetration). BUT very costly.
To buy factory shells it can be over $5 a shell.
Coyote hair will deflect steel because you need bigger shot, un plated lead will deflect and "Stick" in heavy winter hair. ALL that said: I reload my coyote shells, as well as all my shot shells. I do prefer steel on upland birds as well as having to use them on waterfowl. The steel loads are way faster , less lead. it does not take many pellets to kill pheasants and grouse. I have looked in to heavy shot to reload but can't justify the cost, last I looked it was near $200 a 10 pound bag of shot. What I use is, #f nickel Plated lead in a 3 or 3 1/2 1 3/8/ 1 1/2 oz package, loaded with "Steel" powder. This load runs at over 1400 / 1300 fps. It will penetrate completely through a coyote at 50 yards I kill them at 70/75 all winter long. I use an 870 super express with a Dead coyote .669 choke .
VERY dense pattern at 60 yards. In the 3 1/2 load I get 53 pellets in and the 3" are 47 if I remember right off the top of my head.

Back