Questions on scoping vintage Remington Gamemaster.

GMAN_R

Hi all. I have a 1952 Remington 760 . Neat old rifle. Im finally getting around to putting a scope on it. I would like to keep everything on it as per vintage. I have located a base and rings. Heres where I need help. I know there were some quality scopes manufactured in the 50's. I would like insight from anyone as to makes and models of scopes from this era that I should be searching for. If you know a source for a scope please let me know. Ive also emailed Remington as I would like to know the rate of twist of the barrel so I have an idea as to the aporix bullet weight I should be shooting. This rifle has a flip down rear sight. Id like to sight it in with the iron sights, then mount the scope. That way if ever on a trip and scope fails I can remove it and resume my hunt with iron sights. Thanks everyone!

Probably more steel tubed Weavers used back then on a rifle like that than anything else. I have an old 1.5 x 4.5 Weaver. They are heavy beast.

An old Balvar 8 is a great vintage scope but needs special bases that are windage and elevation adjustable as there is no adjustment in the scope. Same With a Weaver V-8 but most of them will have the rings with it and you just need weaver bases.

My Balvar 8 in Weaver windage adjustable rings, I've since gone to Leupold turn in base and rings and adjust elevation by shiming the scope.

BWQPEX.jpg

Depending on what you are going to be hunting and your hunting style.

There are some great Weaver straight tube scopes out there I have a couple of K-1.5's on hunting rigs that I use for still hunting and tracking.

German Drilling 16ga/16ga/7x57R Weaver K-1.5 scope

RR0UBa.jpg

The Weaver V-4.5 was one of my favorite big game scopes. I had one on a Mannlicher stocked 270 that was a deer killing machine. It went to a ADC shooter in NW WI.

Just about any gloss fixed power scope will look period on that rifle, Leupold M-8's and Vari-X 1-4x20 would work well and they have newer glass in them and still have warranty support.

Here's a 1920 Drilling with a straight tube Leupold that doesn't look out of character.

PnIUhQ.jpg

Last edited:
GC and AWS wont lead you astray! Im thinkin old weaver and maybe redfield?? bases would be period correct on that piece?? Tipoff mounts probably too?? Not sure on the origins of those mounts. And something like the old weaver scopes would work.....i think i have one laying around here somewhere. As AWS said the newer glass etc would be better.

I think I might have a set of Weaver pivot mounts. I have a set on my Rem 7600 w/Weaver V-3 in 35 Rem.

I bought out the stock of a shop that was going out of business in the 1970's and have a bunch of Pivot bases and a few ring sets.

Old Weavers were a decent scope in their day since the repair shop in Texas went out of business it is a little harder to get them repaired.

I do have a couple of old Weavers here, and an old Leupold Mountaineer 6x, A favorite of Jack O'Connor, it's not pristine but works well, I tied for first at an egg shoot in WA with it, I was trying to see how old of a rig I could stay competitive with. If your interested in any of them.

Last edited:

I have 1958 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine in 243win.
Back in 1965, my dad bought me the rifle and a Lyman 4X for it.
I also own some nice old weavers. You see them on websites for sale.
A Weaver 1.5x-4.5x would be nice Scope, I own one great old scope.
See-thru rings were common back then and swing off rings.

Back