Pulsar Axion Key XM30 first impressions

weekender

I will start by saying WOW! Just got it in today and my first impression is Pulsar hit a home run with this unit. It is the size of a small range finder. Rechargeable battery is suppose to last 4 hours. The heat picture you see is excellent. Heat detection is super. I could see a crow easily at 200 yds. Just looked at 3 deer at 200 yds had excellent detail. The unit has PIP so you can be at base 2.5X for the big pic and 10X on the PIP if you want. Several color palettes to choose from. Base mag of 2.5 with zoom to 10X. This unit does not have video so sharing what I am seeing will be a challenge.

The only negative I see is if you are a glasses wearer like me, you have to press the firm rubber eye piece against your glasses to try to get a full picture. If the rubber eye piece would fold down like some binos do, I would give the unit a 10 instead of a 9.5. I LOVE IT!

You can get on board video by moving up to the next size unit with 4X base mag. I chose the 2.5X for wider FOV.

Vv0q7Do.jpg

Last edited:

Weekender,

That is a nice looking unit and it’s good to hear your review. Too bad we eyeglass wearers always seem to get the short end of the stick with optics.

About field of view, how well does it do with shorter ranges under 100 yards, more like 50-60 yards?

Very cool WE. Keep us posted on how it works for you in the field. I've been thinking about upgrading my thermal scanning capabilities and this unit is on my short list. Undecided between this one and the FLIR Breach. I need to decide if its worth the hands-free option (helmet mounted) vs hand scanning only.

06 I will let you know. Burns you may have to have something made to use this unit on a helmet but I think it would work as small and as light as it is. It has a 1/4 20 on the bottom. I think I would prolly have to remove or trim the rubber on the eye piece to use it hands-free. The rubber I am referring to is the part resting on my thumb in the picture above.

Thanks WE, meant to say earlier was trying to decide on the breach for helmet mounted vs the pulsar for hands free. Thinking the pulsar would be handier for my uses. Keep us updated on how it works out for you!

Choices choices....Axion Key XM, Axion XM30 (4.1-16.4x), and Axion XM38 (5.5-22x).

Looks like the Key XM has an LCD Display, while the XM30 and 38 have an AMOLED display

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpWeek, does that eyecup fold down?

Nope, I wish it did but it is too stiff.

Capitol I will work on that video. I tried it with my cell phone but it was so degraded, flickering, it wasn't fair to the unit to post it. I will keep trying.

Burns, I knew the key had a different display but since I haven't seen the other one I don't know how they compare. Because I hunt more tight cover, I opted for the unit with the widest FOV.

Last edited:
Back