First Hog Hunt need bullet suggestions

Acronin

I'm taking my.22-250AI and using either 62gr TTSX or 70gr GMX, which I think will be ok. I am also taking my 7mm rem mag with 168gr Berger classic hunters. I considered not takjng the 7mm mag and instead taking the .243.

Question: if I use the .243 I'd like to use the 95gr SSTs. What are your thoughts?

Howdy,

I have used 110TSX and 120SST in the 6.8mm. I like both Barnes & Hornady bullets for hogs. Both are hog smashers in my book. Just a tip: study hog anatomy and don't take shots on them like you would a deer here in Nebraska. Todd Huey makes a few great videos on shot placement. I like the middle neck per his suggestion. I think a .243 + a 95gr SST would be just fine with the right shot.

Near Cumby Texas, my buddy dropped a 272 lb. sow with an AR15 + 70gr TSX with a neck shot. That day, I dropped a 180lb boar with my 6.8mm with a 120SST. I aimed for the middle neck.

TC

If you shoot them in the neck, any of those will work. Yellowhammer kills lots of hogs with neck shots using Vmaxes. Otherwise, I'd shy away from the the SSTs. If a hog doesn't drop at the shot, I like a nice exit wound with good bleeding. The SST is not as likely to do that as the 7mm or even X bullets.

I use the Barnes TTSX 130 gr. in a .308, and a Sierra 75 gr. HP from a 6x45. Head and neck shots are preferred. Last hog hunt I dropped 3 with the 6x45 and 75 grainers from 20 yards to 120 yards, all head shot and all dropped on the spot.

My suggestion would be to take me with you lol! This is definitely on my to-do list.

Can't make any bullet suggestions based on hog experience, but I'm sure any ttsx wouldn't let you down. I know I want to use a 30RAR with either 110 or 130 ttsx and it should be a hammer.

I good neck shot is good, I have crumbled a sow with 22 LR, pure luck she dropped in the water and drown before the shock wore off. Factory 223 55 gr soft points work well for me in my AR. Barnes TSX 120 in my 260, 180 Nosler Partitions in my 300 WSM, and my favorite is 3" of 000 buck in my 12 gauge.
Your hunting situation depends a lot on my recommendation. You hunting open fields? Bottom land? Brush country? With in minutes of my house I can hunt all of those. Day or night?
I will offer this, if you do the "Bang/Flop" on one don't go running up on it right away. Even the sows can have some nasty "dentures" and a stunned hog can be in a real foul mood upon coming to it's senses. I always stick a "Insurance" round in them when using my AR.
I drove up on a big sounder Sunday, and picked out a big sow. I stuck her in the lungs with a 55 gr soft point. I has I eased through the brush to see if I might get another, I saw movement. I stopped and studied the area closely and the shape of the sow came into view. She was hiding behind a dead tree not 10 yards away, and had rung her tail. I poked her with another one high in the shoulder and tipped her over. Do use caution when approaching a down hog, or in my case an area where we shoot to mortally wound so they run off to die.

Well I'm back and I appreciate all your suggestions. I did bag a big boar, approx 325 lbs. Neck shot with 168gr Berger CH out of my 7mm Rem Mag. We walked out brush and my buddy shot 4 with 00 buck. Didn't see a lot, but weather was crappy. I look forward to going again next year.

A little late on the conversation, but just joined today. I can definitely second the being cautious approaching a wounded hog. Took a 280lb hog back in December with my .45-70. He dropped right to the ground with a head shot @ 50yds. 1/2 way to him he started to try to get up and head my way. It took 2 more to the head to convince him he was dead. Still enjoying the pork, can't wait to go again!

Back