First Peek at the 22-NXS!!

I'm running the 60 TMK now in my 9T 223 AI AR to std. magazine length and it's killing coyotes pretty good at a starting vel. of 3380. Always thought a 60 grainer designed like an oversized 53 V-Max would be just what we needed. So far it's working great for me, although it's gonna have to be just about perfect to beat my 69 TMK load.

I got the new chamber in and will be loading some ammo today. I'll see in the 60's are available. I've run 60 Sierra Varmints at a solid 3600 out of the NXS in the first barrel. 69 SMK's up over 3300 but I haven't pushed them hard yet. With luck I'll shoot them next week but I am jammed on time preparing for the Senior Olympics here.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI got the new chamber in and will be loading some ammo today. I'll see in the 60's are available. I've run 60 Sierra Varmints at a solid 3600 out of the NXS in the first barrel. 69 SMK's up over 3300 but I haven't pushed them hard yet. With luck I'll shoot them next week but I am jammed on time preparing for the Senior Olympics here.

Greg

60 tmk are only at midway as of now. Sierra told me they are in between runs right now but they will soon be showing up at other vendors.

Jumped on the boat and ordered a barrel 20" 1-7 twist. Planning on shooting 60 TMK, 62 TTSX and 69 TMK I'm sure I will get one of these to perform to my standards.

Must have missed it, I didn't see the side by side velocity comparison between Ritch's 20"bbl and your 24"bbl...what did it end up being and with what bullet weight?
I also see that you are going to test 55gr with 8208 powder...will be interested in those numbers when you get them.

Gene

Haven't shot the new chambered 24" gun as everyday I've tried to go to the range for two weeks it has rained. Strange winter for me here in AZ.

I shot some 55's earlier in my 24" and they are running a solid 3725-3775. 8208 averaged 3710 with a bit of room to go BTW. H4895 and H335 were giving excellent speeds with the 55's.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterHaven't shot the new chambered 24" gun as everyday I've tried to go to the range for two weeks it has rained. Strange winter for me here in AZ.

I shot some 55's earlier in my 24" and they are running a solid 3725-3775. 8208 averaged 3710 with a bit of room to go BTW. H4895 and H335 were giving excellent speeds with the 55's.

Greg
So probably a 100-150fps drop with a 20"bbl then?

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: GLShooterHaven't shot the new chambered 24" gun as everyday I've tried to go to the range for two weeks it has rained. Strange winter for me here in AZ.

Greg
So probably a 100-150fps drop with a 20"bbl then?

That would be a fair estimate. One thing is it will last a bit longer than a 22-250 on barrel life for sure.

Greg

New member here. This thread has my interest for a predator AR. I have a 22 Nosler and have had the brass issues. I am in the process of going to the Nosgar right now. Any updates on the NXS?

I received the new 22-NXS barrel a couple of weeks ago and since the rain let up I have shoot it some over the past two. Across the trips were successful. Accuracy is fine with groups in the 3's and 4's showing up during load work ups. Pressures were god with nothing unexpected. Cass are loking good with primers nice and rounded.

I concentrated on 55's and 60's this last two trips and shot some 69's and 77's on a quick check from old data just for some speeds and found groupings that were good there also with 5's with the 69's and 4-6's with the 77's. A beter guy steering would do better IMHO.

Speeds were good and outstanding in most cases when I pushed them a bit with CFE and H4895. 55's ran up to 3841 in one loading with with CFE solid 3750's with a couple other powders. 60's were 3700 with CFE with solid 3600's on two other powders. The 69's and 77's were not challenged much with a 69 going 3323 and the 77's at 3180.

The CFE 223 seems to be the powder of choice but I do want to venture out and try some slower types. The 22 Nolser shows some promise with slower stuff so I plan on trying those with a bit of a bump.

Ritch and I have compared our notes and results on the new chamber and it is a go. The barrels are now listed on his website for sale. One or two have already been produced and are in the hands of a pair of fellows that stepped up a few months ago and ordered in advance.

Greg

BTW On a side note anyone want a 30 caliber that makes the 7.62X39 look anemic and runs over the top of a 30-30 using a 24" tube by 150-200 FPS? I've been testing one of Ritch's designs and it is ready for prime time. 110's at 2812, 125's at 2628 and 150's at 2400+ with room to grow out of a 16" barreled AR15. This one has been field proven on mule deer at 300+. Between us we have fired over 175 different load combinations from 110's to 200 sub-sonics.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARThat's some serious horse power with the light stuff. Kudos to you guys for your work.

Thanks. If I load up some 40's I'll have to change chronographs because the LabRadar only goes to 3900..LOL

Greg

Haven't shot it lately but Ritch has been selling them. Given the fact that it shoots very well and fast all I'll be doing in the future is playing with some different bullets and a powder or two.

Greg

Back