Coyote hunting Iowa

Pappi

Hello
I`am just getting into coyote hunting. Anyone from Iowa here. I retired at a early age do to cancer they say I beat it so I started another hobby to try coyote hunting. Any help out there I could probably use it lol. Started out with a Savage 17 B-Mag WSM. Thanks

Congrats on beating Cancer and starting a new hobby. There are a few guys from Iowa on here.

Try to find bigger sections to call, Square mile roads make some areas tough... My home area is fairly flat, and farmed intensively. I hunt big irregular sections and river bottom ground quite a bit.

I seem to have better luck if I set up my stands so the coyote can't be seen from the road. They get really spooky if a car drives by with all the road hunters.

Originally Posted By: Sportsman800 Great to hear your cancer free im from Illinois 45 miles east of davenport. What part of iowa you from.

We must be fairly close because I am in Illinois also, about 90 miles East of Davenport. I'm at my girlfriend's house in Bettendorf as I type this. LOL.

Congrats on kicking cancer's butt!!! Welcome! This is a great place that is full of great people and tons of helpful information. Your B-mag will do a good job as long as you understand its capabilities and learn it's limitations. You may want to consider something a little larger though. Your hunting will probably be similar to mine, here in Illinois. Daytime calling can be effective but difficult at times, with roads and farms being fairly close together. We started night hunting about 5 years ago and our numbers went waaaay up!

Thank you and yes I have a couple of farms I hunt and not close to roads both back of the properties and away from all the building. I have not done the night hunt yet got to buy the lights and a few more things.

Originally Posted By: Pappi Thank you and yes I have a couple of farms I hunt and not close to roads both back of the properties and away from all the building. I have not done the night hunt yet got to buy the lights and a few more things.

Great to hear you are cancer free. Make sure you check the regulations on night hunting. Artificial lights are NOT allowed and this includes IR from NV. Being close to Des Moines you might not want to take any chances either. Game wardens have NV and will be able to see if you are using the IR illuminator.
Coyotes can be called in during the day. Early morning is usually the best for me, evenings are good also. Make sure you can see downwind of the call and give them a secure route to you.
The more secluded an area is the better the calling is. But in the early mornings you can sneak in the dark and start calling at first light and get away with hunting a little less secluded area. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Back