New Mexico Draw

Personally, not that great, but as a family, not bad I suppose.

All three kids, including the newly minted 9-year old who just passed hunter safety, drew youth javelina tags good for most of the state between January 1 and March 31. The older two, now 14 and 16, drew cow elk tags in the Valles Caldera, a place I have always wanted an excuse to go see. Now we get to see it with rifles in hand! The eldest, who will be 17 when the hunt comes to pass, drew a premier oryx tag, her third in as many years. That's not until next February though.

For me? Javelina, as you'd expect from someone who actually puts in to draw a tag for one of the nasty little things. But I figured since the kids were probably going, I'd go in with them. My hunt will be the month of February, so we'll have three months together where we can chase javelina, quail, and call coyotes. Can't hardly beat that. If we're lucky, we won't even see any javelina to shoot and we'll just hunt coyotes.
smile.gif
I also pulled my second choice deer hunt, desert muleys in a unit near town. My expectations aren't high, but the unit is in good coyote country, so if nothing else I can spend a few days shooting coyotes with a .300.

The best news was probably that my father-in-law and mom drew pretty decent northern NM deer tags together. He has been trying to hunt deer over with us for years. Now that he and my dad are retired, I can only imagine the old-guy shenanigans those deer are going to be subjected to this fall!
smile.gif

And finally, as my AZ friend mentions above, I'll have no choice but to try OTC Barbary again, even though my knees are already groaning at the thought of it.

Good for you Troy, It sounds like a busy year for you. I got 3 green and 4 red this year. The red sea included elk, antelope, oryx, and big horn. I did draw a quality mule deer and earlier a turkey in 2b/c and fall bear in the valle vidal.

Back