17 Hornet for Woodchucks

Some of those groundhogs/woodchucks you have in the N.E. can get pretty good size and are a fair bit bigger than the rockchucks we have out here in the west coast, so depending on the distance you'll be shooting them, I think either will probably work but the HP's may be a little better.

Those things are pretty soggy built and can absorb a pretty heavy hit so I wouldn't expect much in the way of splat factory using any bullet in a 17 Hornet, but within reasonable distances, you shouldn't have any trouble killing them.

As long as you can hit them in the head you will be good. The 17 rem was good because of its speed, the 17 fb is a little slower and the hornet slower yet. As you lose speed you will also lose the magic of the 17 rem.

Really. So you don't think the 20gr will drop them if I hit them in the chest or the 25s ? Now I know your just messing with me.

Last edited:
Not messing with you at all. Perhaps I didn't word it the way I should have. Sure a 17 hornet with 20 or 25 gr bullets will kill a Ghog @ reasonable distance, but those bullets fade fast as the distance increases, hence the headshot statement. I stopped shooting my 17 fb for Ghogs as I was getting a lot of crawlers with both 20 and 25 gr bullets. For what its worth I have killed a fair # with a 17HMR at over 200yds but hit them in the head in perfect conditions.

I am a avid Pa. groundhog hunter and I tried a 22 hornet but quit using it because I got too many crawlers.
Joe

Yes, my Dad use to say the same thing about the 22 Hornet. Bullet would go right thru them and the would act as if there not hit. He would go over to their holes and see them laying there.

I've hunted Pa. groundhogs often for several years with .17 HMR, .17 Hornet, and .17 Fireball. The HMR is my least favorite and I've stopped using it due to crawl offs. I've had no problems with the Hornet to about 200 yds and to 300 yds with the Fireball shooting 20 gr v-max in the vitals. You may have an occasional one kick down the hole if sitting on top of it, but most are tail straight up and DRT. The 25 gr v-max or HP work fine too, especially if you may be hunting coyotes with the same rifle. A 20 gr on a coyote tends to splash if you hit bone.

Originally Posted By: basdjsI've hunted Pa. groundhogs often for several years with .17 HMR, .17 Hornet, and .17 Fireball. The HMR is my least favorite and I've stopped using it due to crawl offs. I've had no problems with the Hornet to about 200 yds and to 300 yds with the Fireball shooting 20 gr v-max in the vitals. You may have an occasional one kick down the hole if sitting on top of it, but most are tail straight up and DRT. The 25 gr v-max or HP work fine too, especially if you may be hunting coyotes with the same rifle. A 20 gr on a coyote tends to splash if you hit bone. I would tend to agree with distance's and cartridge's, for Ghogs. When I was shooting my 17fb it wouldn't shoot the 25 or 30 gn bullets as accurate as the 20 vmax so I stuck with the 20's. I wanted it to be my fox gun but it just didn't work as well as I had hoped.

Ok thanks. I do use it for fox and coyote. I should say I use the 25gr HP. I have dropped every fox and coyote DRT. I thought maybe the 20s might give me a little more distance.

The fireball is a sweet round. But I found that by slowing the 25gr.HP down, under 3000FPS I have DRT and no fur damage. As long as you place your round in the chest cavity lung heart area. I drop Fox and coyote were they stand as if hit by lightening. But I have not shot over 235yds yet.

Two things I've found with the .17's...They do tend to be finicky with different grain bullets and they shoot better when they're a little dirty. My Savage HMR loves 20 gr bullets but not so much 17 gr bullets. I don't clean my .17's unless accuracy starts to drop off. Jumping up to a 30 gr bullet usually requires a faster twist rate than what most factory barrels have in the Fireball and Hornet.

My 17 Hornet with 20 gr. had to many splashes on fox. Joe at nighteyes.com uses the 25 gr.hp with great success on fox & coyotes. I have a box of the 25 gr.hp’s but haven’t tried them yet.

basdjs, Interesting that you have better success when you slow down the 30's. I try to get the best accuracy and velocity. I never tried slowing them down. My 17fb has a 9 twist and did stabilize the 30's, ( Kindler golds ) they just weren't accurate, 1.5" groups @ 100 yds.

Pa.Mick, I had splashes also on fox with the 20 vmax but I had them @ 4200 fps. Do you know what brand 25gr hp Joe uses. I tried Hornady and Berger match.

Ok, I guess Ill just test some 20gr. V Aramageddon FBHP. For wood chucks. I know either will kill.

The Hornady 25grHP will put down fox and coyotes. They will Violently expand. After all that's what they were designed to due. But after testing various velocities and how they impacted targets that represents fox and coyotes. I was able to get them further inside the animal before this occurred. Now the bullet does not blow holes on the surface, but penetrates into the body then violently expands sending shrapnel as well as dumping all its energy. I believe this is the reason why they drop instantly at the shot and there is no fur damage.
From red to Grays to coyotes
jzh7tihm.jpg

Dt4ntL1m.jpg

oVQlniom.jpg

V1AZIgxm.jpg

The 25gr Hornady hp if I remember right. He puts up a lot of fur too ! What has impressed me is how many coyotes he has put down with the 17 Hornet. I think it has been because that is his caliber of choice for fox.

Back