Foaming bore cleaners

sll

Now that about every manufacturer now has their own recipe on the market, just curious to which one gets your vote. I have been using Wipe-Out for over 15 years and never have tried a different brand.

I would hope that the OP would invest in a Lyman Bore Scope, you will see exactly how well the bore cleaner is NOT WORKING!

Get ready for a shock!

or

Stay in denial, your hobby!

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI would hope that the OP would invest in a Lyman Bore Scope, you will see exactly how well the bore cleaner is NOT WORKING!...
Yah, I've used Gunslik foam for several years, then recently popped for a bore scope.
Copper is the least of my worries.
Plus a slight tinge of copper seems to not alter accuracy, so its not cleaned to absolute pure stainless steel.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI would hope that the OP would invest in a Lyman Bore Scope, you will see exactly how well the bore cleaner is NOT WORKING!

No kidding. A borrowed Lyman bore scope (I now have my own) showed me just how filthy my 'clean' barrel actually was. Foam cleans OK but it does not clean good. Back to stronger solvents and bronze bore brushes and the proverbial elbow grease. NOW I have clean barrels. Meh. Live and learn.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanFoamers I used were great on copper, worthless on carbon, and I mean worthless.

And that's a fact!

Quote:No kidding. A borrowed Lyman bore scope (I now have my own) showed me just how filthy my 'clean' barrel actually was.

Yeah, Rusty, I had a friend bring his over and lead me down the path, as well.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Montana X-Treme products get my vote. I've been able to validate they do what they advertise they are supposed to with a Lyman bore scope. And it doesn't involve hours and hours of effort if you avoid neglecting a firearm.

For stubborn jobs, I use J-B's.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI would hope that the OP would invest in a Lyman Bore Scope, you will see exactly how well the bore cleaner is NOT WORKING!

Get ready for a shock!

It's truly amazing just how shiny products like Wipe-Out can
make carbon when viewed down the barrel using a bore light. Even
the stainless barrels appeared to be squeaky clean.

Then came the "mistake" of getting a Lyman Bore Scope.
Ignorance is NOT bliss when accuracy goes south and one can
not figure out why. After scoping the bore, the "why" became
readily apparent. The first 4-6" of all of them was coated
with very shiny carbon deposits! JB wouldn't get the job done
and I had to resort to Flitz metal polish. Even that took a LOT
of elbow grease.

What product out there really, truly, dissolves carbon??

Lots of information in these discussions on various cleaners:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...2931&page=1

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...4760&page=4

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3147069

I compared a lot of different bore cleaners using Lyman bore scope and now using TACTICAL ADVANTAGE applied w/wet IOSSO blue nylon brush and let sit overnight. Scrubbing bore 6-8 strokes w/the wet brush will usually remove all copper and carbon from two different factory barrels which are both copper magnets.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: DannoBoone

What product out there really, truly, dissolves carbon??

I do not remember where I first read it, but Easy-Off (I used the heavy duty) oven cleaner got a my heavily carboned .204 barrel clean. I used a bronze bore brush and a bit of scrubbing but sure enough it took it off. I let it soak overnight a couple times.

Buy some Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner, wrap some around your brush and clean your bore.
It will take rust, copper, lead, and yes carbon out of your bore.
It will remove the rust off your blue without hurting you blue.
That is what the add said in the American Riflemen.
It works really nice. Member on here told me to buy it.

I would say to NOT change what your using now. I was sceptical when I first read about Wipe Out, but my first use of it was all I needed! The stuff is absolutely awesome for removing copper.

I agree Ackleyman...it's not too good at removing carbon. That said, I clean first with Hoppes #9 to clean out the carbon and then soak overnight with the Wipe Out. Takes some time to do it that way, but it works great for me.

I was helping a friend yesterday, bore scoping his rifles to see if his cleaning techniques were Ok.

20 Vartarg
221 FB
22 Beggs
22/250

all custom barrels. His 221 fb had loads of carbon in it, he suspects that R#7 maybe the culprit?
The 222 had a pretty serious carbon ring in the neck.

If I still had factory barrels on my Savages, I would push 4 wet patched through the barrel to remove loose carbon, then start brushing with good bronze bristle brushes from Sinclair, Pro Shot, or Dewey with JB, give each one 25 strokes, then wet patch the JB out of the Barrel, then use a copper solvent.

I don't think that it is necessary to get bore down to bare metal every time, but that carbon accumulation does get super cooked on, making it all but impossible to get out without serious Al Oxide or Silicone carbide abrasives available from Sinclair's.

For serious carbon build up, when Hoppes isn't enough, I like the Remclean abrasive stuff. I've read lots of info where guys don't like/recommend it, but I've used it for years with great success. It will absolutely strip all of the carbon and copper from the bore if used correctly. I tried the JB stuff too, but didn't like it as it was too thick and made a big mess. Also, I didn't think it was as effective as the Rem stuff. I only use it occasionally though, and not for every cleaning.

Rem clean is a step up in abrasion from JB.

Bouncher, here is a product that I think that you will love, Montana Extreme copper cream. It is like JB in a bottle, a very mild abrasive mixed with a fluid. I use this on good bronze bristle brushes and on patches.

Regular Savage barrels will love this product for regular usage:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/331485/montana-x-treme-copper-cream-6-oz-liquid

My brother had been struggling with fouled factory barrels. I went over to his house with my bore scope and we had a gun cleaning day with this Copper Cream. He bought 6 bottles of this stuff and brushes by the dozen from Brownell's. He had been using his brushes way too long.

Last edited:
Back