22-250 with 1x10 twist?

I wish my TC venture was a 1@10 twist. I would buy a ruger but I have the TC venture and a Tikka TC both in a 22 250. I wouldn't mind selling the Tikka one of these day. Less than 40 rds down the barrel. I may sell it and buy one. Do they make a timney trigger for the ruger? I want a 1@10 so I can shoot 65 gr gamekings.

I'm having a Ruger 77 MKII 22-250 re-barreled right now, hopefully done in the next week, with a Shilen 1/10" twist #4 contour ss barrel. I thought long and hard about which way to go on twist, eventually decided on the 10. I have a 243 for 70 gr and up bullets. I hope the 250 will still shoot 55's and 53 gr vmax's well, but will also allow me to shoot 65 gr sgk's and possibly 69 smk's.

Had a 700 Rem, 22-250AI with a Hart 1 in 7 twist. Very, very nice shooting rifle with 80 gr SMK's, would also shoot 80 gr Amax equally well. Have another Hart 1 in 7, Rem varmint taper waiting to be used. Got bored with the 1 in 7 and sold it to a friend. Put a Shilen Select Match 1 in 8 twist, same 22-250AI Also shoots extremely well with 80 gr SMK's.
Did another 700 Rem with Shilen Select Match barrel,1 in 10 twist. standard 22-250 chamber. Finally got a load that shoots super with 69 gr SMK's. Has anybody worked up loads for the 52 gr HPBT matchkings? I had called Sierra before I went this route and their tech said no problem with stabilization or blowups with the 52 gr bullets. Info would save wasteing powder and bullets. Thanks. Cheers, Ottway

It was a nice day here and got a chance to try some Sierra 52 gr HPBT MK's out of the 700 Rem with Shilen 1 in 10 twist. Read somewhere that young Hodgdon liked 22-250's and worked up a great load with a new powder some years ago. It shot fantastic with new powder and he named it H380 because the load was 38.0 gr.
Was out and about yesterday and stopped in a more less local sporting Goods store to see what powders they had available. They had 1 container of H380, so I bought a container. I have never used this powder before. In any event, I started with 37.5 gr, nothing special, about 3/4". Upped it to 37.8 gr. Two shots literally in the small hole and the 3rd one enlargered the hole by 1/2 a bullet. Super! Loaded 38.0 gr with the same result. Loaded 38.2 gr, 1st 2in one hole and truthfully I pulled the 3rd shot to the right by 1/2", not height variation. I'm impressed, really.

Loaded 3 more and went to 300 yd swinger, came up 1 and 3/4 Minutes, 3 shot triangle, 1 3/4". So now I am a believer that a 1 in 10" twist will shoot lighter bullets without a big hassle in working up a load. I love it when it's easy. Federal 210 match primers.
I wish I knew how to post pictures, they are worth a look, but alas I'm an old dog and just don't know the technology. Don't be afraid of a 1 in 10. Cheers, Ottway

I have the Ruger American Compact in 22-250 with 10 twist. Shoots every thing from 40 gr to 60 gr sub MOA. Have not tried heavier bullets, but it out shot my Tikka t3 lite with every load. So I sold the tikka and bought 2 more Ruger Americans (1) in .243, and the other in 7-08. Both are also tack drivers.
Dave

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhEdit: I didn’t realize this was an old thread, and I’d already posted in it 5 years ago...

The fast twist 22-250's have made a huge leap forward in the last 5 years. Mostly 1/8. The 1/10 twist and slower is almost a thing of the past. I do think the 1/10 would be an ideal twist for up to 68 grain bullets.

kwg

Originally Posted By: bigdog1 Have not tried heavier bullets, but it out shot my Tikka t3 lite with every load. So I sold the tikka and bought 2 more Ruger Americans (1) in .243, and the other in 7-08. Both are also tack drivers.
Dave

So you were able to actually hit the side of a barn with the Rugers?

Originally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: KaleIf you want to shoot the heavier bullets why not just go to a .243?

You are right, but common sense doesn't mean anything to some people. They just want to be different.

You're right, common sense isn't that common. Which is clearly displayed by your moronic response. I'll give you just one example. Where I live it is illegal to use a .243 on coyote unless it's during big game season, and you have a big game license. So stop trying to act like your superior without first at least considering that the OP might not have the option of a .243. Even if that's not the case, a faster twist .22-250 is super practical. Some people get so comfortable perched on their high horse, they never consider stepping down even for a minute.

GC

Last edited:
Just my "common sense" opinion based on some experience. I have owned a Tikka T3 in 223 Rem with an 8" twist barrel for maybe 10+ years?, and last year I bought a T3 in 22-250 with the same 8" twist.

Neither did anything for me that I couldn't do with 50-55 grain bullets in other rifles that I own chambered for the same cartridges. If I want to use heavier bullets, going to larger cartridges (not necessarily a larger bore diameter) makes sense to me as both the 223 Rem and the 22-250 suddenly have trajectories similar to a 30-30 Winchester as you go further up in bullet weight. In essence, each of the two cartridges "can only do so much" based on their internal dimensions without giving up other favorable characteristics. For example, I own a 22-6MM Rem that works for 60 grain and heavier bullets, and it doesn't require me to give up a flat trajectory to get there with heavier bullets. Larger bored diameter cartridges do the same thing.......... For most normal hunting distances, barrel twist is usually a moot point. a 22-250 with a good 55 grain bullet will kill a deer just as well as a 22-250 with 75 grain bullets will do at normal hunting distances.

To each their own. If someone has special hunting "requirements" due to where they live, they should say so up front or they probably wont get an answer that they will like if someone responding has no additional information. And ridiculing someone else as being moronic for not knowing what they "need" but haven't outlined previously is not very "sporting".

As for the question, to each their own. I could easily live with only slower twist rifles (12" and 14") in 223 and 22-250 but I have each in faster twist barrels that do nothing special or magical for me. Others no doubt will disagree..........

Originally Posted By: Winny FanJust my "common sense" opinion based on some experience. I have owned a Tikka T3 in 223 Rem with an 8" twist barrel for maybe 10+ years?, and last year I bought a T3 in 22-250 with the same 8" twist.

Neither did anything for me that I couldn't do with 50-55 grain bullets in other rifles that I own chambered for the same cartridges. If I want to use heavier bullets, going to larger cartridges (not necessarily a larger bore diameter) makes sense to me as both the 223 Rem and the 22-250 suddenly have trajectories similar to a 30-30 Winchester as you go further up in bullet weight. In essence, each of the two cartridges "can only do so much" based on their internal dimensions without giving up other favorable characteristics. For example, I own a 22-6MM Rem that works for 60 grain and heavier bullets, and it doesn't require me to give up a flat trajectory to get there with heavier bullets. Larger bored diameter cartridges do the same thing.......... For most normal hunting distances, barrel twist is usually a moot point. a 22-250 with a good 55 grain bullet will kill a deer just as well as a 22-250 with 75 grain bullets will do at normal hunting distances.

To each their own. If someone has special hunting "requirements" due to where they live, they should say so up front or they probably wont get an answer that they will like if someone responding has no additional information. And ridiculing someone else as being moronic for not knowing what they "need" but haven't outlined previously is not very "sporting".

As for the question, to each their own. I could easily live with only slower twist rifles (2" and 14") in 223 and 22-250 but I have each in slower twist barrels that do nothing special or magical for me. Others no doubt will disagree..........

Oh I agree with you 100%. My point was that the poster that was condescending toward the OP had no right to be so. The poster asked about barrel twist in a 22-250. If the response was to suggest a .243, and then give a basis for that suggestion, it would have been a great response. But to state that the OP has no common sense for considering a 22-250 with a faster twist rate, rather than a .243, is a presumtuous, self-aggrandizing response. Your response, however, is dead on!

GC

P.S
In all you have stated above, 2 great points stand out. Firstly, when moving to heavier bullet, you will give up some trajectory (everything else being equal of course). The move to a larger cartridge often is the better decision. Secondly, a 55 grain bullet will be just as deadly as a 75 grain bullet at NORMAL hunting distances. Absolutely correct. Along with shot placement. It's why I use a 165 grain bullet in my .308 instead of 180 grain (well that and my .308 just shoots much more accurately with 165 grain in my gun). Always. It's just as deadly at distances I will shoot, and maintains a better trajectory. My 9-twist .223 will handle bullets larger than 55 grain, but it's as heavy as I hunt with. I do use cheap steel cartridge 62 grain for plinking, but not for hunting. And why don't I use a .243? Illegal here outside of big game season.

My only disagreement with your post is that the OP should have stated his hunting requirements. Nah, no need to provide all information. Answer the question posed, and if you want to suggest a caliber outside what is mentioned in the opening post, do so with reasoning, not just stating that "If you had any common sense you'd get a .243". Cheers man, and happy hunting.

GC

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreatCanadianP.S
In all you have stated above, 2 great points stand out. Firstly, when moving to heavier bullet, you will give up some trajectory (everything else being equal of course). The move to a larger cartridge often is the better decision. Secondly, a 55 grain bullet will be just as deadly as a 75 grain bullet at NORMAL hunting distances. Absolutely correct. Along with shot placement. It's why I use a 165 grain bullet in my .308 instead of 180 grain (well that and my .308 just shoots much more accurately with 165 grain in my gun). Always. It's just as deadly at distances I will shoot, and maintains a better trajectory. My 9-twist .223 will handle bullets larger than 55 grain, but it's as heavy as I hunt with. I do use cheap steel cartridge 62 grain for plinking, but not for hunting. And why don't I use a .243? Illegal here outside of big game season.

My only disagreement with your post is that the OP should have stated his hunting requirements. Nah, no need to provide all information. Answer the question posed, and if you want to suggest a caliber outside what is mentioned in the opening post, do so with reasoning, not just stating that "If you had any common sense you'd get a .243". Cheers man, and happy hunting.

GC

laugh.gif
Its the internet where anyone can say whatever they want. Hence my response to you. Besides, as someone stated, a 10" twist barrel in a 22-250 is kind of a thing of the past in today's world. The OP posed his comments in 2013, IIRC.

I just noticed that I defined slower twist barrels as being "(2" and 14")" in my post and I also mis-stated barrel twist slower versus faster comparisons. I changed it there and wanted to note it here.

"I could easily live with only slower twist rifles (12" and 14") in 223 and 22-250 but I have each in faster twist barrels that do nothing special or magical for me. Others no doubt will disagree.........."

Back