Helion brightness/contrast

For those of you that have the Helion scanners, what brightness/contrast settings do you start on? I have a XP38 but it seems like I have to keep the brightness and contrast almost maxed out to get close to the same image as I get out of my Apex on brightness of 1 or 2 with contrast set at 5 or 6. It could just be my eyes or maybe the different eye piece that allows more light to my eye but I’m curious. It just seems like if I set it similar to my apex then objects don’t stand out like they should. Thanks

Are you running black hot or white hot? Also, are you looking through them on the same night? I ask this because of course humidity plays a huge factor on the settings.

I run my Helion around Contrast of 11 and brightness around 4 but the brightness can be very different if I am using Black Hot vs White Hot. I adjust depending on the night, etc. However, I usually run contrast at 10+.

It really shouldn't matter, but one time I just couldn't seem to get the image I was expecting. After playing with brightness and contrast, I gave up and reset it to Factory Defaults. I then switched the mode back to identification which got me close to what I was expecting and then I tweaked from there and it was OK again. To this day I am not sure what got messed up to make it look like crap but at least I got it back.

Most of the time I keep it on white hot. It appears that white hot makes it easier to catch movement for me anyway. I use both the Helion and apex on every stand.

Kirsch touched on this a little...check to see that you have it on ID(eye symbol) mode and not forest or rock mode...at least on my Helion, it seems to make a world of difference in the image and the brightness and contrast settings.

Did that help ? If not, clean the lenses. Also, moisture on the lenses can make a difference. Are both units brought in and out of the house truck ? I would imagine in NC you have a lot of humidity and condensation could be a problem. I do notice on humid nights that my Apex doesn't need contrast and brightness as high as the helion for some reason. Not as much difference as you are seeing though.

Back