Ever buy your old gun back?

pyscodog

I bought a 243 a while back and a gun club member hounded me to death to sell it to him. I had only shot it a few times but he just wouldn't quit calling me about the rifle. I finally just said come and get it. I went to a local gun show and the rifle was on a dealers table. Said he bought it from the guy I sold it to. Went into a local pawn shop today and guess whats on the rack!! My 243.I don't think either of them shot the rifle. Thought about buying it back but they want more than I sold it for and I don't want it back that bad. But it is a nice rifle.

Sold a 700 Classic in 220 Swift years ago that I always regretted. If the guy that bought it off of me wants to sell it I would buy it back.

I had a friend that had a story about his roping horse like that. He would say, I bought this horse twice, but haven’t sold him once. He gave his kid the horse, boy’s life went another direction and the dad had to buy the dang horse again to get it back.

I bought a rifle from an individual at a gunshow, and then when he seen me walking around trying to sell it a couple years later he bought it back.

A buddy and I traded a TC Contender back and forth numerous times, but that was more like a good buddy pawnshop deal. Whenever the current owner needed money the other would buy it back.

Several years ago I purchased a S&W model 29 .44 magnum at a local store. After using it for a while I sold it to a friend, who in turn sold it to a friend, who then sold it to a college professor. Several years had passed and I had regretted selling the gun. One day I happened in to my home town gun shop and was talking with the owner while looking down into the pistol case. I saw a model 29 there and mentioned to him that I used to have one just like that. As I looked closer I noticed small scratch on the front of the receiver that I had done when placing a pistol scope on it. I asked to see the gun, wrote down the serial number and then drove home and checked my records. Sure enough, it was my old gun. I phoned the owner and told him to hang on to it, that I was on the way. I went back and re-purchased. The condition of the pistol was as I remembered it. I still have it.

I have re-purchased a couple of guns. The old crew of us hobby gun show guys trade guns and buy and sell back and forth quite a bit.

I bought a Ward’s Hercules SxS 16ga in high school at a pawn shop for $100. It was in rough shape, so I cleaned it up and got it freed enough to use. I loved the old scattergun, but all of my buddies bought new, shiny semiautos when we got to college, so I followed suit. I didn’t use the Hercules much for a couple years, then on one quail trip I slipped down a bank and slammed it upright, butt first onto the ground - I felt the vibration of the stock cracking in my hand. So being the young, dumb [beeep] that I was at the time, I took it home, injected glue, and took it to a rather unfair pawn shop (high prices, low offers, he’d Have $50 over MSRP marked on stuff, and would tell me with a straight face that HE paid MSRP, and had to make that $50 to keep the lights on... guy was a jerk in general). I sold him the shotgun for $200, he marked it at, “$400 Sale price $350.”

A decade goes by, and I spotted an old SxS on the rack at a Cabela’s in Nebraska while on a business trip. I picked it up and saw a price of $250 - Ward’s Hercules 16ga. I keep a few hundred bucks in my wallet at all times just for such occasions - silly impulses. I bought it. Only when I got it home did I realize there was a hairline fracture in the stock - so I checked the markings. Sure enough, I’d bought my old shotgun back, a few hundred miles and a decade away. I did end up “selling” it to a coworker/friend’s son a few years later, young high school kid who wanted a SxS but didn’t want to spend much. I had reblued it in the meantime, so I told him - since it’s no longer original, I kind of damaged the value - gimme $100 for it. Not sad in the least about a little money lost on that one.

Made arrangements to buy back a S&W model 10 from a small dealer/enthusiast. Had traded for an original XP-100 Fireball with boot many years ago. A few years back he said he might sell it to me, so he brought it to a show last month. So accurate that even i didn't have much trouble getting 1" groups at 25 yards. He wanted way too much money and it was just trashed - chipped rear sight, wrong grips, so dirty that i couldn't even inspect the forcing cone so i regretably passed. Actually, it didn't look like the same gun. Maybe i'll stumble onto another, model 19, or K-38 Target Masterpiece, but i'm not going to hold my breath while hoping for a reasonable price. Sad to see such a fine piece ruined. The XP has moved on and to do over again i would've kept the Smith.

I sold a blued .357 6" Colt Python to a guy with the understanding that if he ever wanted to get rid of it I get first dibs. This with the kicker that the price would stay the same. That was about 30 years ago and he still has that pistol. He's the collector type, I seriously doubt he has ever fired it. Ran into him the other day and he said he was thinning the herd. I mentioned the Python and he said he would think about it. I hope if he decides to part with it he remembers his promise about the price.

My first ever rifle with an aftermarket barrel was a .243 back in 1972. That thing was a shooter and I had 3 guys wanting it all the time. Well, I finally foolishly sold it...And bought it back 4 times!! The final sale was to a guy in Wyoming and I never saw it again.

I've bought a few back that I've sold from guy's that hit hard times, I never low ball them, just give their money back and turn them again.

I had a Colt Detective pistol that I sold several years ago but I managed to keep the box in my reloading room.
A guy came into my work knowing that I was always interested in a deal on a gun.
The pistol was a very clean Colt Detective so we made a deal and I brought it home.
For some reason I grabbed the old box I had laying around and checked the serial number.
It was my old pistol.
Not sure where it has been all those years but it is back home again.

Originally Posted By: 220_SwiftI had a Colt Detective pistol that I sold several years ago but I managed to keep the box in my reloading room.
A guy came into my work knowing that I was always interested in a deal on a gun.
The pistol was a very clean Colt Detective so we made a deal and I brought it home.
For some reason I grabbed the old box I had laying around and checked the serial number.
It was my old pistol.
Not sure where it has been all those years but it is back home again.

Wonder what the odds on that happening are?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWonder what the odds on that happening are?

I still can’t believe it but it has a permanent place at my house now!

Originally Posted By: 220_Swift Not sure where it has been all those years but it is back home again.

Now that is something, delivered to you without you finding it out and about somewhere.

Back