remington 7400

My dad had a 7400 30-06’. It dropped the mag out of the rifle every shot. He bought me a 7600 in 84’ and I use it deer hunting every year...even with two 64 gun safes packed full. I’ve shot 100’s of deer party hunting with it over the years and never had one jam. Had a few dud factory Remington Core Locts that never fired with dented primers and I stuck a patch in the gun behind the firing pin once that failed to ignite primers. Bad opening day. I had six deer in front of me that all lived.lol

I bought my dad a deer and bear engraved 7600 30-06’ around the last 90’s if I remember but he wanted a less of a kick and traded it for a 243 7600, then I bought a limited edition 35 carbine 7600 and traded him for the 243 that I pawned off for another rifle. I bought a new 35 whelen carbine 7600 last year to add to the mix. I love my Amish machine guns!

My old 30-06 7600 will shoot .6” groups with 180 grain NBTs and .4” with my reloads using 180 grain core locts at a 100 yards. It’s a tack driver. My bolt action buddies use to give me crap for years until one day we all went to the range and my 7600 grouped tighter than their 700’s. The 35 Remington shoots 3/4” groups at at a 100 yards with 180 grain Speer cores loaded a little on the hot side. I haven’t messed with the whelen yet but bought a box of the super velocity hornady loads and shot about a 8 through it and the groups were around 1.2” at a 100 yards. I’m sure once I cook up some loads for it I’ll get it shooting sub MOA like the others.

Last edited:
GC, I need some 760’s to add to the pack as well. I learned how to take them apart last summer after all these years! Never knew the barrel comes right out. I always thought It was screwed or pinned into the receiver. If I knew it was that easy I would have bought some multi caliber barrels for it over the years including the whelen. I bent the pump slide bars in years ago and it rattled loose. I took it all apart, bent them out, and reassembled it. The only issue I had was snapping the firing pin “bolt” as I would call back into the pump bars and took it to my smith and had it done for $5 and some donuts. Gotta give the slide bars a few coats with a little Oxpho blue from years of use and call it a day. The 7600 and 30-06’ is like peanut butter and jelly. They were meant to go together. The gun dose not hardly recoil imo at all. It’s a soft, slow push. I could target shoot that rifle all day long. The whelen carbine has some push to it.

I would have like to seen old teddy Roosevelt back in the day a humpin and a pumpin and dumpin big game in Africa with a 7600, 30-06! If they only came out a little sooner, lol
w00t.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorGC, I need some 760’s to add to the pack as well. I learned how to take them apart last summer after all these years! Never knew the barrel comes right out. I always thought It was screwed or pinned into the receiver. If I knew it was that easy I would have bought some multi caliber barrels for it over the years including the whelen. I bent the pump slide bars in years ago and it rattled loose. I took it all apart, bent them out, and reassembled it. The only issue I had was snapping the firing pin “bolt” as I would call back into the pump bars and took it to my smith and had it done for $5 and some donuts. Gotta give the slide bars a few coats with a little Oxpho blue from years of use and call it a day. The 7600 and 30-06’ is like peanut butter and jelly. They were meant to go together. The gun dose not hardly recoil imo at all. It’s a soft, slow push. I could target shoot that rifle all day long. The whelen carbine has some push to it.

I would have like to seen old teddy Roosevelt back in the day a humpin and a pumpin and dumpin big game in Africa with a 7600, 30-06! If they only came out a little sooner, lol
w00t.gif

my first deer rifle was a 7600 chambered in 30-06. shot ok with factory ammmo (roughly MOA) but shoots freaking cloverleaf's @ 100 with 165 SST's hand-loaded.

i got it because i loved my 870 so much.. and was like.. wait.. they make a rifle on the same pump system? sign me up! that rifle took a whole pile of deer before i started hunting with various AR platform guns.

My 7400 in 270 WIN is still in pristine condition after all these 35+ years later. Mostly because it didnt shoot tight enough groups so I went with a Mauser action 270. It was the difference between .75-1 and a tack driving consistent .25 MOA out of a Whitworth barreled Interarms. I never had any feed problems with the 7400 but I never tried to fast fire as I do with my AR10 or 762x39 AR15. The 270 is my varmint rifle of choice with a 130gr ballistic tipped hot load. I was once upon at time (a few decades back) a small scale newbie reloader and the Silvertip or Bronze points were my prescriptions of choice. For deer I greatly relish the 140s with a ballistic tipped pill. The 762x39 is my low power scoped brush gun anymore. My 30-30 WIN 94 is a great carry gun but I couldnt hit the broad side of a buck 5 yards away with it (it was a perfect ambush). To this day I wonder if I missed twice or the buck didnt know he was dead.

Last edited:
270’s were never know for their accuracy in what ever they were chambered in according to jack O’Conner. If it shoots sub MOA it’s probably better than most out there.

Back