Nevada Coyote Contests - Bill Carries Penalties Equal To Manslaughter

littledawg couldn't have said it any better. We never used to be under any pressure until the WCCC started to get big and the "for hire" killers came in. Then it was the "Insta Heros" and the "youtube influencers" who are only out there to make a name for themselves and try to be somebody and get paid for what the rest of us do to recreate, that our sport start to get recognized. I love calling, been doing it 24 years only once joined a "comp" wasn't for me. It's not the contests that are hurting us it is some US that are killing the rest of US by putting themselves in front of every social media they can and exploiting the resources we have for profit and fame. Texas or not, Utah or not I hunt Nevada regularly, I wish contest holders would back off and go away. What is going on now with the sport over the last ten years even has become a joke. Same thing with shed hunting, why do some always try to make a buck off the wildlife and end up hurting everyone else in the long run?

Originally Posted By: crapshoot.... Any law restricting more freedom, and that is based on personal opinion and not facts pertaining to the well being of that in question, is never a good idea.

If that was the case, all we should be concerned about is the scientific/biological "facts" that contribute to legal harvest limits, season dates, etc.... If my State biologists have determined it is OK for me to kill 2 male Whitetail deer per year and I purchase my license, then I should be able to go shoot 2 and then just let them lay in the woods. I don't care about putting antlers on the wall and why should I be required to go through the whole process of gutting, dragging, hanging, butchering, wrapping and freezing the meat? The State said it was OK to kill 2 and I just want to kill my 2 for "fun". Those darn Wanton waste laws require me to retain the meat for myself or donate it to a processor for distribution to homeless shelters. That law has no scientific/biological bases, it is based on ethics (human opinions) so I'm guessing it is just another infringement on our "freedom" and should be abolished. Like the coyote that doesn't care if it was shot by a rancher, competition participant, or lone hunter, the deer doesn't care if I'm cooking the loins on my Weber grill or his carcass is being picked clean by coyotes and vultures.

I wouldn't mind if contests just went away. To tell you why, would mean airing a bunch of dirty laundry in public. But you want to talk about giving our hobby a black eye? I could tell you first hand accounts of contest hunters going way, way, WAY beyond the lines of safety, legality, common sense etc. Doing meth to stay up and hunt for 48 hours straight? Check - seen that. Driving literally 100 MPH to make check in after staying up for 48 hours on meth? Check - seen that. Illegal spotlighting, trespassing, theft, cheating, physical violence, on and on.

I've seen way too much contest hunting bull crap to have any use for any of it. The first time I ever became aware that contests existed, is when I sold two coyotes in the field to a couple guys hunting the Utah state championship. Later I heard it only took three to win it that year, lol!

I got no use for contests, at all.

- DAA

The majority of photos used by activists against coyote killing contests are pictures of the animal in their natural setting alive and well. They love flashing pictures of cute looking pups or coyotes with a nice coat looking innocent. Most of the carnage pictures are not taken off a Facebook or Instagram post. What gives their carnage pictures the most cred is for an advocate to go to the check in and take pictures or video of what they witnessed first-hand.

They already have templates of letters to send out in protest. Pretty simple, just download and type in the “from who” and “to who”;

https://www.humanesociety.org/sites/default/files/docs/coyote-stop-wildlife-killing-contests.pdf

We are a little bit too late if we think we can keep anti-hunting activists from finding pictures to use in support of their propaganda. There is so much drama on social media that I have quite posting my hunts anywhere other than my personal Facebook. Lately I have been even questioning that and missing the old days when it seemed like I was the only one hunting them in my area.

Originally Posted By: DAA The first time I ever became aware that contests existed, is when I sold two coyotes in the field to a couple guys hunting the Utah state championship. Later I heard it only took three to win it that year, lol!

lmao

I’m just curious as to what littledawg is meaning grotesque pictures? Are you talking about pictures with coyotes heads blown off or a massive exit wound? Or are meaning guys who take pictures with their weekend harvest lined up??

Originally Posted By: arielpI’m just curious as to what littledawg is meaning grotesque pictures? Are you talking about pictures with coyotes heads blown off or a massive exit wound? Or are meaning guys who take pictures with their weekend harvest lined up??

Really? If you can't find "gross" and pics, you're not looking very hard.......here's a real easy one. Ebaum's world "hunting coyotes with snowmobile" youtube video. You get to see him run down and over a coyote several times, watch him peel the skin with his tracks as he sits on the coyote and "woo-hoo" like an idiot. It's not "hunting" as most of us consider it, but "hunting" is in the title and is great fodder for anti groups. "legal" ? I guess. There is so much more if you care to search, and if you think the other side isn't, you are mis-leading yourself.

Don’t get your panties in a wad dude I was asking a simple question. I wanted to see what littledawg meant by grotesque and that’s it?? I don’t agree with people posting half blown up coyotes or head shots or running coyotes down with snowmobiles or whatever it may be but that’s why I wanted clarification on what littledawg meant. I have no desire to watch stupid videos like that and the more we watch them the more views they get and the more fuel for their fire we give them.

Yeah you're right, guess I implied a little attitude there, sorry. I'm just passionate about coyote hunting and this whole competition/"it's legal"/gross photo thing has struck a nerve.

No worries man. Yes sir I hear where your coming from and a lot of it has to do with social media and YouTube in my opinion. The only thing that I don’t agree with is fellow predator hunters saying I hope they ban contest. Really guys?? I don’t care if you agree or disagree with contest hunting the fact of the matter is that now they have their foot in the door and are infringing on our freedoms, they are going to be targeting more and more hunters. Just because I’m not a trapper doesn’t mean I’m gonna say I hope they ban trapping because it’s really messing up my hunting areas and I think trapping is unethical (which I don’t believe, just using an example). That’s how you guys sound saying they want contests banned and guess what? You got your wish, contest hunting is banned in Nm where I was born and raised and now they are gonna to ban it in Arizona where I currently reside.

I personally am a contest hunter and I really do enjoy entering contest and competing against some of the best around my region. Am I sad or upset that contest are banned, of course I am. Is it the end of the world? NO. I have taking years off from contest hunting before and it didn’t bother me one bit and I will be fine to never do a contest again in my life. But if you think they are just targeting contest you are deeply mistaken, trapping will be next and then they will try and limit how many coyotes you can shoot a year and so on and so on.

Sorry for the rant, had it on my mind last few days. Have a good evening men

This discussion reminds me of this video by Colion Noir.

Specifically the 1st 3:30 minutes. And then starting at 9:10.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve garrettthe reason I think its not right. for one thing you have people doing in many cases illegal things to do it. night hunting in areas where its illegal. blasting through areas to reach numbers, with no regard to enjoying the scenery or the hunting experience.

besides look at who wins these deals anyways. in most cases they get some secret hookup on some sort of private land. its not a gauge of who is the best predator caller anyways.

so if its not really a gauge of who the best predator caller is, is it really a contest? or is it a I am better than you type deal. I personally believe its disrespectful of the animal and the experience of predator calling. you don't have to agree. The only problem I see letting a ban happen is it expanding into regular hunting. but if the ban was just that a ban and no more. I am all for it and hope it happens.

People hunt illegally, unethically, and wreckless regardless of contests. Actually, in my experience, the majority of people hunting contests are a pretty good group. Banning contests won't stop any of this activity. You just won't be able to blame it on a contest anymore.
As far as "not taking time to enjoy the scenery or hunting experience", give me a freaking break! Talk about a purely opinionated reason to ban something. I mean tell a rancher you are only hunting for the experience and not really after numbers. See how he looks at you. You MAY still get to hunt there, but I guarantee the guy to show up next that he believes is a coyote killer, is going to get to hunt there also. And just because you are contest hunting mean that you are not enjoying all those things. People that hunt contests hunt hard and are usually good hunters too. I guess I just don't believe contests have a monopoly on idiots.

Last edited:
This is how the anti's divide us-Patrick Henry said "If we don't hand together, we will most assuredly hang together." Contests are not evil-some who hunt them are. If we see illegal behavior and do not report it are we not just as Guilty? Every contest I have ever hunted will DQ for a wildlife violation. You do not have to hunt contests to support those who legally do. This is just one step to ban all hunting.
I don't TRAP
I don't BIG GAME HUNT
I don't CONTEST HUNT
I don't use an AR, Crossbow or whatever the attack of the day is.
No matter what, with this mentality will we lose.
Unfortunately this mindset is alive and well in the hunting community
Don't for one minute think the anti's will ever stop until ALL guns and ALL hunting is abolished.
Your dog WILL get kicked it's only a matter of time!

Amen brother. We do live in a free country (for now). That also means I am free to do some things you may not agree with or like and you are free to do likewise with things I don't like.
Or we can just ban everything you don't like or care about and then ban everything I don't like or care about and then no one will be free to enjoy the things that make them happy.

Originally Posted By: shermanrmThis is how the anti's divide us-Patrick Henry said "If we don't hand together, we will most assuredly hang together." Contests are not evil-some who hunt them are. If we see illegal behavior and do not report it are we not just as Guilty? Every contest I have ever hunted will DQ for a wildlife violation. You do not have to hunt contests to support those who legally do. This is just one step to ban all hunting.
I don't TRAP
I don't BIG GAME HUNT
I don't CONTEST HUNT
Don't for one minute think the anti's will ever stop until ALL guns and ALL hunting is abolished.

Might want to confirm your sources if you want to make credible statements...

We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.
Benjamin Franklin

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/benjamin_franklin_151597

lol.gif
lol.gif

...or you’ll just come across as another illiterate Nevada redneck coyote contest hunter.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: shermanrmThis is how the anti's divide us-Patrick Henry said "If we don't hand together, we will most assuredly hang together." Contests are not evil-some who hunt them are. If we see illegal behavior and do not report it are we not just as Guilty? Every contest I have ever hunted will DQ for a wildlife violation. You do not have to hunt contests to support those who legally do. This is just one step to ban all hunting.
I don't TRAP
I don't BIG GAME HUNT
I don't CONTEST HUNT

Might want to confirm your sources if you want to make credible statements...

We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.
Benjamin Franklin

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/benjamin_franklin_151597

lol.gif
lol.gif

...or you’ll just come across as another illiterate Nevada redneck coyote contest hunter.

lol.gif

Good thing im just an illiterate Nevada redneck coyote hunter sans contest.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shermanrmI am a proud redneck coyote hunter who sometimes hunt contests. maybe at times illiterate.
Sorry that's all you got from my post.

I think maybe you missed my point.
That’s how the antis see all of us.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: shermanrmI am a proud redneck coyote hunter who sometimes hunt contests. maybe at times illiterate.
Sorry that's all you got from my post.

I think maybe you missed my point.
That’s how the antis see all of us.

That is true. Anti's will see us how THEY want to see us no matter what you do/don't do.

It is the same for gun owners and 2A supporters.

I entirely agree, that if you don't want to participate, then don't. But you don't come out criticizing another hunter that is doing things ethically and legally. Those who do might just be next on the Anti's list.

Quote:Those who do might just be next on the Anti's list.

.....and if not next, rest assured none of us are very far down that list.

Regards,
hm

Back