CCI Quiet 22 LR Ammo

Brad, the little 77-22 boat paddle is a nice rifle and shoot great. The trigger is stiff but otherwise a nice little rifle.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Brad, the little 77-22 boat paddle is a nice rifle and shoot great. The trigger is stiff but otherwise a nice little rifle.

I put a VQ target sear in my dad's Ruger 77/17 HMR quite a few years ago and it made a HUGE difference. It's a pretty inexpensive kit and is really easy to install with no special tools required. It only takes a couple minutes to install and makes a world of difference over the stock trigger. I highly recommend them to anyone with a rimfire Ruger 77.

I will second the cci quiet segmented hp. If varmints and squirrels are on the menu then they are the bullet you need. I shoot Richardson's ground squirrels with them and they are as devastating or more than a standard velocity hollow point

Subsonics are all I shoot anymore, mainly RWS, but here is a target where I shot 45 rounds of SK Standard Plus at 50yds. with my 581/541 custom. Sk Standard Plus are very close to subsonic. The RWS Subs will cut this group about a 1/3 smaller.

I may have to look at the segmented HP.

K22, that is some fine shooting with the SK Standard. I also have a 541-S rifle that is very accurate, but haven’t tried the Quiets in it.

Thanks 6mm06. I highly recommend picking up a brick of RWS Subsonics from SGAmmo and give them a try. Most likely you will want more.

The Remington in the photo was an attempt at getting a rimfire rifle to shoot as well as my KDF K22 rifle. This one now does and shoots many different types of 22lr ammo as well or better than in the photo. But, the 581S action has been squared and the bolt lugs lapped. A second take down screw added and the receiver ring threaded. The trigger is from a 541S. The barrel is a 541T that is treaded, rechambered to a D2 chamber and has a 11 degree crown. The stock is an old Bishop stock that I pillarbedded. It still needs checkered, but all in good time. When shooting 5 shot groups it is capable of very tiny groups.
Oh, and the KDF was factory stock and shoots easily with the Rem. We will not mention cost differences.
crazy.gif

Numrichs used to have 541 stocks that will fit your 581.

K22, do you know the velocity of the RWS subsonics?

To those of you that have suppressors for rimfires, what are you using? Anyone suppressing 17 HMR or 22 mag and with what degree of success (quiet)?

To those of you that have suppressors for rimfires, what are you using? Anyone suppressing 17 HMR or 22 mag and with what degree of success (quiet)?

Both of my rimfire cans are TBAC and I use them on my 17 HMR's. As I'm sure you already know, there is no way around the sonic crack downrange but it's not particularly loud anyway. The muzzle blast is all but eliminated though.

Even the best top rated rimfire suppressor aren't particularly expensive and IMO really adds to the fun of shooting anything, especially rimfires.

Last edited:
I'm using a Dead Air mask for my rimfires and is a hoot especially using subs. All you usually hear is the meat report on a 22. The 17 HMR and hornet are a little louder but still pretty dang quiet for popping critters. I think everyone should own at least one rimfire can!
thumbup1.gif

K22, do you know the velocity of the RWS subsonics?

It is 1033 fps. for the RWS Subsonics, the SK Standard Plus is 955 fps.

Crittr Gittr, I took a look at the Dead Air Mask today and viewed some videos on YouTube also. It looks pretty impressive and has me wanting one.

K22, which bullet do you find more accurate, the RWS Subsonics or the SK Sandard Plus?

Crittr Gittr, I took a look at the Dead Air Mask today and viewed some videos on YouTube also. It looks pretty impressive and has me wanting one.

K22, which bullet do you find more accurate, the RWS Subsonics or the SK Sandard Plus?

as I am reaching in my pocket to flip a coin.LOL
The true answer is both, but, the RWS is a hollow point and all that I recovered from Squirrels, which was rare, mushroomed like a Nosler Partition.
Another one to consider is the Norma Subsonic at 1017 fps that is made by RWS and is a hollow point. I have had very good accuracy with those also.

6mm that mask suppressor is also rated clear up to 22 hornet also.

Thanks Willy. What is the velocity of those rounds?

1030fps they are subsonic. They are so clean to shoot.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOne of my buddies has a lot of apple trees in his yard and was losing a lot of fruit to squirrels so he had been shooting them with a pellet rifle but had quite a few run off. He decided to try the CCI Quiet in is old .22 pump as he was concerned about one his neighbors not liking him shooting his gun in a (sort of) residential area. To his surprise (mine too) that ammo was not a very good killer and he got a lot of rodents that ran off after being hit. I'm guessing that their apple stealing days were over anyway but for sure they did not all drop at the hit. I have him a box of CCI .22 short hollow points that were sure killers and about the same db as the Quiet ammo so he went to that. He gave me a nice big bag of apples for that 50 round box of .22 shorts so that sure was a good deal for me.

I started using the CCI Quiets about 8 years ago and have no problem killing squirrels out to 45-50 yards and coons and porkies out to 35 yards,one shot kills all with head shots.

I can no longer get out hunting so I only use them for pest control around the house but it still puts a smile on my face when I drop a coon at 20-30 feet, even a chipmunk when I can hold steady long enough is satisfying.

Back