Slowing it down but still killing a few!

Galen

Last few weeks I've been busy but manage to get a set or two in sometime during the week.. I have not been posting in awhile but I have past my goal of 50 coyotes and am up to 63 or 64 coyotes now, Very happy and cant wait to hit em even harder next fall/winter!!

2584.jpg

2585.jpg

2586.jpg

Im curious do you have spots that kind of always produced and then spots that produce once here there and yon? We killed I think 20 coyotes in two spots last year and we only killed maybe five out of those two spots this year. The only reason we killed basically the same number this year as we did last year was because we picked up more spots. In my experience once you hit a spot hard there will be less coyotes next year. From what I've seen the more you shoot the more pup they have theory is bs.

Last edited:
Very interesting question, Definitely a complicated subject if you ask me!

I've heard the theory and it could make sense.. every coyote you shoot equals more small game animals & a much higher chance of an entire litter of pups to survive with the now abundant supply of food!

But as you mentioned, I have definitely noticed less coyotes on several properties that I hit hard last season & say the season before.. But is it due to our hunting pressure? Or did a farmer down the road harvest timber & they can now seek cover and hunt in the tree tops that were left behind and they now prefer the area that became cluttered with heavy cover practically overnight?, Just seem's there could be so many variables that go into why there's less coyotes on those properties that were so good in past seasons..

But when it boils down to it I have not noticed an increase of coyotes on my heavily pressured ground, actually seem to be less dogs using the area! I feel shooting 12-15-20 coyotes out of a general area will most definitely have an impact on the local coyote population for the time being, If nothing else I feel certain that shooting coyotes during March, April & June will have a major affect on fawn populations

Not an expert on the critters all I do is stand in a field and pull the trigger
blush.gif

Here in IL as you probably know the night hunting ends March 15th. I normally pick one or two up afterwards scouting long beards but it seems fruitless to daytime hunt after the hunting at night especially after noticeably having a harder time killing them even at night later in the season when the population is down a bit.

Last edited:
Many yrs ago the local sportsmen club had a trapper as a speaker at a meeting. He covered his methods etc and then said "I can catch coyotes every month except MAY."

He theorized that by May there was unlimited fawns and afterbirth available for food. He was hired to control much of NE MI where much of the hunting land is commonly called "club country." Land owned/leased by large hunting clubs and many gates to go thru to get in to hunt.

I found that interesting then and still do so.

Makes me wonder if he was trying to catch them the month of May or did he pull them due to having them having litters ?

Back