Planning a Wyoming pdog hunt.

Merritt79

I am planning a prairie dog hunt in Wyoming either the end of May first week in June. I am planning on going out by kemmerer or around that area. How much of that area is private? Also any restrictions out that way I need to be aware of? I was looking trying to any info on the game and fish website and couldn’t find anything. Did read some posts on other sites that depending on where you are there is a season on them. Any help would be appreciated I am taking some coworkers out who have never been. So I just want know if there are any restrictions out that way and if there is a lot of public land or mostly private.

Thanks Rick M.

No season on varmints in WY
You might try contacting the town government about public land, or private that would let you thin their herd. Getting an On-X map is a big help.

Most of the area around there is blm unless you go north of Kemmerer then there is more private. Stay south and east more toward Rock springs and you will have plenty of blm. But as WW said buy the onx or I use Kirsch maps. I like Kirsch better myself, I have his western states maps.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
You will find signs on most gates. Some with BLM signs and some just asking you to shut the gate. You probably wont find large quantities of PD's. I have very seldom sat in one spot for more than a couple hours. One of the chips for your GPS would be a good investment. I also have Kirsch's western states. It works great. If not, get with a BLM office or Utah/Idaho map supply and pick up some BLM maps of the area. I have only come across a couple areas that were closed to the public. I will be up there about that same time.

Once you get an area in mind, spend some time on google earth. If you zoom in enough, you should be able to see the bare areas around prairie dog holes. Look around enough to find areas you may have to walk 1/2 mile to, leave the truck behind.

Back