Sage Rat Hunting in Burns OR - April 8 & 9

K9TXS

No Off Season

I went to Burns OR and had a two day hunt with Tim Titus who owns No Off Season. It was a rainy, cold and windy day on Monday and the rats were slow, but they were out. On Tuesday it was cold and windy but the rats were out in the morning and moving around fairly well. On Tuesday afternoon, we had a lot more sun, but the wind was still there and a lot more rats showed up. Tuesday afternoon was a great day and lots of rats were taken.

When I say wind, it was probably a steady 25 or 30 mph with about a 5 mph added gust. If you stood up from your shooting bench, you had to be careful so you wouldn't be blown off the trailer.

In our group, most everyone was shooting the 17 HMR. I shot my HMR as well as my Ruger 17 WSM. For me the WSM was the weapon of choice both days. Since the FPS was faster than the HMR, it bucked the wind a little better.

If you're looking for a guide for Sage Rats, I can't image a better one than Tim Titus. Check out his website listed above.

I live in the Houston area, so I'm not employed by him nor receive any payment for sending customers to him.

I went last year. Tim’s outfit is top shelf. What a great time. Wish I could go back and shot Tim’s sage rats every year.

The only real bad part about some of these better areas is you are very limited for places to stay. I know in the past, Tim's brother and sister inlaw rented out rooms of their house to out of towners.

The lunches NOS provided were exceptional, too.

Back