Barrel suggestions for 20 inch 223 wylde

eja

I'm building a new upper and need suggestion for a barrel that will shoot 1 moa or smaller with 55-62 gr bullets. I have a 18 Black Hole and shoots ok but definitely is a 1+ barrel. I've been looking at Faxon, Ballistic advantage and Larue. I need to stay in the $250-300 range. Thanks for the help.

Save your money and just buy a rra barrel. You will have to depend on luck for anything else to shoot better. And I don’t give a crap how much the barrel cost or who made it Every rra barrel I have seen shoots as good as you can reasonably expect an ar to shoot

RRA barrels can be heavy, watch the contour. My 16" RRA Predator Pursuit barrel (heavy contour like national match but not bull/varmint) is too dang heavy for 16", it makes it front heavy. But yes it's accurate.

If you're serious about wanting sub moa and you're already willing to spend $300, then save up an extra $100 and order a custom Shilen barrel from Dtech or a White Oak barrel or similar. Don't gamble on another "maybe" barrel for nearly the same price.

There are lots of custom turned barrels out there in the $300.00 range. The ones from Tactical Ordnance that Ritch is offering are certainly doing sub-MOA and you get to order exactly what you want from contour to threading to finish. Give him a call and see what he can suggest as to weight etc. for your needs.

Greg

I get sub MOA from my Black Hole barrels but they were acquired years ago. I've read from time to time on the internet their products are not what they once were.

As far as the above post on having to depend on luck to get better results is nonsense. MOA and under IS a tall order, but with the affordable offerings out there, it's certainly doable.

Ballistic advantage has an MOA guarantee with Match grade ammo... which is a requirement for best performance regardless... or carefully crafted hand loads, which is all I shoot.

I also have a White Oak Armament barrel that shoots sub MOA.

There are A LOT of entries in the MOA ALL DAY CHALLENGE posted on ARFCOM with LaRue barrels... I don't think all those shooters are "lucky" per se... they just have good gear, ammo, and shooting skills.

No reason why you can't be right there with the bunch. Remember the key: RIFLE, AMMO, SCOPE, SHOOTER. The end result will be limited by the weakest component.

the barrels I have used ranked in accuracy

1)shilen 6.5 grendel barrel
2) 2 different dtech barrels, one took more load development than I would have liked
3) 4 different RRA barrels.
4) criterion hybrid barrel
5)black hole barrel, AT FIRST after 100 rounds for some reason accuracy went to crap and I could never get it back.
6) lilja
7)AR stoner (liberty barrel)

that is 11 barrels from memory, The RRA barrels may have done better but I always found a load that was 3/4 to 1 moa so easily I never bothered really tuning them. unless I am doing some sort of wild cat custom, RRA is going to be it. YES they can be heavy. but I use the lightest handguards I can get and try to save weight in other areas. The last one I bought was the 20" national match, it was $205 to my door on special, threaded, less the pinned front sight. I have given up trying to think there is some magic AR barrel and simply come to the conclusion that the AR platform is only ever capable of about 3/4 MOA. I don't care if god makes the barrel its not going to be any better than that on average for the long haul. YES I have shot .2" groups with my various barrels and load developments. Some around here would say. its 1/4 MOA "if I do my part" to that I say [beeep]!!!

RRA barrels will get all there is to get from the AR platform. They will also do it at a price that simply cannot be beaten.

I have no idea if they are actually good or not but xcaliber seems to get some good reviews. I'd like to try one someday but haven't got there yet.

Keep changing bullets until a good free floated barrel shoots to your expectations.

Too many people fall in love with the idea of one chosen bullet. Then buy 10 different bottles of powder trying to get it to shoot. Fast twist barrels with big chambers like long bullets.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchKeep changing bullets... Too many people fall in love with the idea of one chosen bullet.
Sometimes doing just that is necessary, like lead free requirements or long range shooters or shooting a particular style of match or just for economy of it.

I have always had a preferred bullet in mind before buying any rifle. That plays a role in why I chose that chambering and barrel twist and what it will be used for. I would never buy a (hunting) rifle and just let the barrel decide what it likes best, because best might not fit my intended use. With a little research and smart shopping you can likely MAKE your chosen bullet work for you. Of course I'm talking about reloading...

I recently built an AR around one particular bullet- lead free 6mm Nosler ballistic tip. With a little research and a quality barrel, it shoots great with my top choice temp stable powder. I'm not the only one who has built a gun around one particular bullet/purpose.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm in no hurry so still in research mode. I may even look into a completed upper. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: ejaI'm building a new upper and need suggestion for a barrel that will shoot 1 moa or smaller with 55-62 gr bullets. I have a 18 Black Hole and shoots ok but definitely is a 1+ barrel. I've been looking at Faxon, Ballistic advantage and Larue. I need to stay in the $250-300 range. Thanks for the help.

WOA has a ton of barrels that are right in your price point.

this is just one of many options that would probably end up in your wheelhouse, and it includes the gas mainfold.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/ba...old-875-20.html

if you cant find a 55-62gr load that wont shoot sub moa out of that barrel, you likely need to stop drinking so much coffee
tt2.gif

71c110b727fb9573596293ce230fa7a6.jpg

Just buy a Rock River upper and don’t worry about anything else. Anyone complaining about weight needs to hit the gym. We have 3 Rocks with the Wylde chamber (20” PP, 18” R-3, 20” Coyote) they all shoot dime size groups at 100 meters.,With our handloads 55gr. V-Max.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannJust buy a Rock River upper and don’t worry about anything else. Anyone complaining about weight needs to hit the gym. We have 3 Rocks with the Wylde chamber (20” PP, 18” R-3, 20” Coyote) they all shoot dime size groups at 100 meters.,With our handloads 55gr. V-Max.

WHAT HE SAID. I OWN ONE MYSELF.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlThis one will not disappoint, and save a few bucks : GM-20
check out the reviews too. Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlThis one will not disappoint, and save a few bucks : GM-20
check out the reviews too.

I have this barrel non fluted. Its a shooter. 5/8-3/4” groups with cheap bullets.

I would expect an X caliber barrel to shoot with the bullets touching or just about touching. The Remington Chamber from X caliber has a shorter freebore than the Wylde chamber.

If you are going to hunt coyotes, then twist it for coyote bullets, twist and appropriate throat geometry go a long ways.

X caliber bullets are very smooth inside and are not copper fouling monsters.

Last edited:
Lots of good suggestions. X caliber looks like a really good canidate. If I go with 223 rem chamber what twist for 55-62 bullets?

Back