Sightmark Wraith

Thanks for the info posts. It looks pretty nice. I might pick one up for my 2nd night hunting rig (Rem 7 223) which is getting the barrel chopped and threaded. Currently have ATN 4K Pro and happy with it on the SBR AR but leaning towards going with a bolt action for most my night time hunting endeavors

Originally Posted By: GregOI have done a youtube video, from the perspective of a "new to NV" user. I'll have more info after this weekend. Nice review. A ton of information. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: GregONope
Still trying to figure out how to embed a video Open the 5th icon across the top when putting in your video. It says Enter Media Tag. It is directly to the left of the list icon. Select, YouTube Video, and when it asks for the ID, put in KSrqmD1CXKk which I believe is yours. It will look like this:

Originally Posted By: old catGreg have you sighted it in yet?

Yes, I have. I mentioned the sight in process in the first video. I got lucky, basically bore sighted based on scope that was on the rifle, sighted the Wraith to the same point, and it was perfect. I was working on a friends this past weekend. We didn't get so lucky, so it took some effort, but not difficult. The biggest challenge was keeping the rifle steady while adjusting to POI with reticle.

Greg, that's a very good and detailed review. Thanks for that.

The daytime video seems crystal clear at base mag and even at 2x, and the night video is good once you get the IR adjusted right.

How does video compare to what your eye sees? Is video better than you see through the ocular, vice versa or about the same?

I could have been happy for a long time with my Photon XT. I can live without audio, although I shouldn't have to, but the lousy battery life is a deal breaker. After experiencing the battery life of my Pulsar Trail XP38 I cannot go back.

Originally Posted By: cmateraI could have been happy for a long time with my Photon XT. I can live without audio, although I shouldn't have to, but the lousy battery life is a deal breaker. After experiencing the battery life of my Pulsar Trail XP38 I cannot go back.

I agree completely that we shouldn’t have to do without audio, given that technology has advanced so much in NV scopes. It just makes no sense to me that Sightmark would build a good scope from scratch and not have audio. As well, ATN has raised the bar regarding battery life with their new 4k. I have yet to run the battery down after charging it one time, and I have used the scope quite a bit. That should be the standard and not have to continue feeding scopes AA’s and CR123 batteries that only last 2-4 hours.

Regarding ATN, most of us have bashed them a lot over the years, and a lot of it was warranted due to less quality and poor customer service. Things do seem to be improving, however. I have phoned ATN three or four times in the last 6 months regarding warranty / repair and once to help me with a question about my scope. Every time I had a rep on the phone in short order and received good help.

For now I can’t think of a better digital scope than the 4k. I had high hopes for the Wraith but the audio deal has killed it for me. The 4k has great battery life as mentioned, audio is very good plus the scope has a ballistic calculator that the Wraith does not. Sightmark is on the right path but has a way to go to catch up to the 4k. The two redeming features of the Wraith are resolution and price.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Greg, that's a very good and detailed review. Thanks for that.

The daytime video seems crystal clear at base mag and even at 2x, and the night video is good once you get the IR adjusted right.

How does video compare to what your eye sees? Is video better than you see through the ocular, vice versa or about the same?

That is a good question. When comparing the video with what I saw looking through the scope, I had the impression that they where very equal in quality. This past weekend I shot a pig at night, I was rushed to take the shot and really took no time to fine tune the IR illuminator. When I look back at the video, I really feel that I had a better picture while looking through the scope. This may just be my perception during the heat of the moment, so more "testing" is required to make a call on that. So far I'm thrilled with the way the scope is working for me, but keep in mind I have no past experience to compare with. More to come!

Keep up the good work GregO!!! I'm on the edge of my seat trying to sort all this out. I feel 6mm06 has a lot of good issues about the batteries. I'd just like a good scope for night hunting, not to concern with all the bells and whistles.

Originally Posted By: BoommeupKeep up the good work GregO!!! I'm on the edge of my seat trying to sort all this out. I feel 6mm06 has a lot of good issues about the batteries. The less accessories you have to attach to a gun or scope to make them run such as a DVR or batteries, it is better. With that said, an external battery pack is cheap for the Wraith. I still would rather have a better integrated battery, but it isn't a deal stopper. I never run AA or 123s.

6mm - You're spot on about the battery life on the 4k. Something like 18 hours run time on a full charge, which is mighty handy. I really like mine.

Kirsch - what type/brand of external battery pack for the Wraith and how much run time? If it wasnt too bulky and would attach somewhere convenient on a bolt gun it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.

I'm simplistic with my night hunting requirements. The 4k is overkill with all the bells and whistles for me so I dont use any of it. Just give me a reticle and a coyote to shoot and I'm good with that.

Back