223Ai ready

Stan da Man

Hi guys.
After waiting for ever to get the paperwork sorted to rebarrel, getting the rifle and sending it back to the smith because of feeding problems, I finaly have this little bad boy sorted.

Rifle was built on a Brno mini Mauser action 27" Shilen Stainless Match barrel.
With our local powders I pushed the 50gr V-Max to 3530 wich is well short of max.
Accuracy is amazing and i am sure if a pro was to shoot it, it'll look even better

Heres a photo of the finished rifle and the 5 shot group i shot this morning at an indoor range (white dot between the eyes)....weather sucks at the mo.

223Ai https://imgur.com/a/xmhvdHH

223Ai https://imgur.com/a/wJxgiwN

Hey Stan

Congratulations on finally getting that rig finished. Looks really good and it shoots really good too so all well worth the wait. It remember that it was a long time ago that you sent me a PM asking about my .223 AI and now you got yours and shooting good too. Great going.

I like to push those 50 grain Vmax (or Nosler Ballistic Tips) out my barrel with 28 grains of H-355 and use the CCI BR primer. Sure have taken a lot of small furries with it.

What is going to be your primary target with that where you live? Sure going to be different than here I know that.

It was a Brno Cz527 .223 Rem
Thanks AWS. It came out the way i wanted it. Told the stock maker to paint it Willys or army green and he nailed it.

Yeah Rusty seems like ages ago.
I must say choosing a load was the hardest part of the development. They all shoot that well. Will wait for better weather and take her to 300m.

Primarily Ill be hunting Jackal, baboons, monkeys and other varmint. We have a hunt in three weeks time and Ill ask the PH if he'll alow me to shoot an Impala. With the way the rifle is shooting Ill take a headshot any day.
Got some 65gr Gamekings that ill load for Blesbuck, springbuck, Warthoggs and other small game. Might try some monos to see how they do. Body shots with the V-max is a def no-no

Stan,

I just shot my new Mini Mauser 223AI for the first time, fire forming brass, last week. I formed up 40 rounds and had some really small groups. I think I am really going to like this rifle.

I have not fired any formed rounds yet and am wondering how it will feed from the magazine, does yours feed ok, did you have any trouble getting it to feed?

Thanks

I got some fireformed cases from a friend. Once fired from std 223 to ackley in his rifle.
Found that my headspace was a bit longer and i got a lot of light strikes with factory amo. So i am shooting loaded into the lands.

I found that the shoulder bumped the lip of the mag and that made it bounce up and not slide up past the extractor and to the boltface.
Smith fixed this by polishing the chamber, taking away some off the front of the mag and polishing the lips..

Took the Ack to 200m for the first time yesterday.
Found that seating position greatly affects poi.
First two shots went high, was sitting too low and adjusted the seat and the poi shifted down.
Two shots on the left was a user error and was called as the shots rang.
Verry pleased with the rest of the group.
I suffer from hypertention and its impossible to keep the crosshairs still. My heartbeat bounces the rifle left to right as you can see from the horizontal spread.
I am loading into the lands to fireform the cases to my chamber.
Was wondering if i can continue doing so even after fireforming and would doing so affect barrel life/ throat erosion.
Bullets and barrel are treated with HBN

223Ai 200m https://imgur.com/a/oHbkmqh
https://i.imgur.com/uGTysoF.jpg

Originally Posted By: RustydustHey Stan

Congratulations on finally getting that rig finished. Looks really good and it shoots really good too so all well worth the wait. It remember that it was a long time ago that you sent me a PM asking about my .223 AI and now you got yours and shooting good too. Great going.

I like to push those 50 grain Vmax (or Nosler Ballistic Tips) out my barrel with 28 grains of H-355 and use the CCI BR primer. Sure have taken a lot of small furries with it.

What is going to be your primary target with that where you live? Sure going to be different than here I know that.

What’s the barrel life been typically on your 223 AI?

Back