How windy is to windy....

Depends how desperate I am and where the wind is coming from. I've sat for six hours at the bench n Oklahoma waiting to shoot five groups in howling gusting winds.I needed a load good enough to shoot eggs on a string at 150 yards. Of course that was when I was much younger and had to go shoot when I had a day off. Now I go when I don't have to fight the elements or the wannabes too much..LOL

Currently I'll stop at about 10 MPH steady. I've shot in gusty stuff up to 20/25 but when the target backers fly off the sticks it's time to call calf rope. In real world shooting I've shot PD's in winds up to 35 mph. Truly a challenge.

Greg

If you think it's too windy, it probably is. When you're testing loads you need to remove as many variables as possible. Wind included. I dont worry about a slight breeze though...

Our range flag is a loggin chain. When the anvil blows off the end of the chain, I call it quits.
cool.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Our range flag is a loggin chain. When the anvil blows off the end of the chain, I call it quits.
cool.gif

Regards,
hm

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: hm1996Our range flag is a loggin chain. When the anvil blows off the end of the chain, I call it quits.
cool.gif

Regards,
hm

LOL. That's how it was in Wyoming when I went.

At 100 yards, if the wind is blowing 30+ mph and is a crosswind, I won't sit and try to get a load dialed in depending on what the caliber is. Having said that, I don't think at 100 yards the wind is going to effect a bullet all that much unless you are maybe shooting a 17 Remington and even then, the bullet is traveling at 4000+fps so how much is the wind really going to effect it at that close of a range? I shot Wednesday night as I switched scopes on my 220 Swift and needed to get it re-sighted. I shot at 100 yards with a quartering away 15-18 mph wind and shot a 1/2 inch, 5 round group once I got the point of impact dialed in where I wanted it.

Truth be told, shooting with a strong wind probably has a lot more effect on the shooter than the bullet.

With a really accurate rifle, wind is everything. The wind is frequently the single biggest factor in group size with a really accurate rifle. Even at 100 yards.

I very often see pictures of groups posted on here that should be called weather reports, not groups.

Without at least a rudimentary understanding of this, "load tuning" in variable winds is a complete waste of time and components.

Wind flags are the best way to shrink groups with any rifle.

.17 Rem and .220 Swift are pretty close to the same in the wind, depending on particulars of the load. Either one, a 5MPH change in wind value is going to account for about 1/2" change at 100 all by itself.

- DAA

One problem I seem to run into is it can be dead calm at the house and when I get to the club/range, its totally different. Its only a 20 minute drive and its amazing how much different the conditions will be. Chances on a totally calm day in Oklahoma are about as good as winning the lottery.

Originally Posted By: DAAWith a really accurate rifle, wind is everything. The wind is frequently the single biggest factor in group size with a really accurate rifle. Even at 100 yards.

I very often see pictures of groups posted on here that should be called weather reports, not groups.

Without at least a rudimentary understanding of this, "load tuning" in variable winds is a complete waste of time and components.

.17 Rem and .220 Swift are pretty close to the same in the wind, depending on particulars of the load. Either one, a 5MPH change in wind value is going to account for about 1/2" change at 100 all by itself.

- DAA

^^^^^^^^^^This. Crosswind definitely opens up your group, even @ 100.

My previous post was made in jest.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have a few loads to try and its either gale force winds or raining. Can't get a break.

For rain as well as sun, I got one of those crank open/shut
umbrellas which can be attached to my shooting bench. If the
wind is blowing hard enough that the umbrella makes the bench
shake, it's blowing too hard for decent groups, anyway.

Originally Posted By: DAAWith a really accurate rifle, wind is everything. The wind is frequently the single biggest factor in group size with a really accurate rifle. Even at 100 yards.

- DAA

DAA, I completely understand what you are saying but if one waited for "ideal" conditions where I live here in Wyoming, one would never shoot. So, if I get a day that is up to at most 10-15 mph wind and I need to shoot, I am at the range. Fortunately, our range is set up where the prevailing wind is usually at our back. We do have an indoor range now that has 100 yard lanes but at $20 dollars a session, I don't go there.

DAA said:
With a really accurate rifle, wind is everything. The wind is frequently the single biggest factor in group size with a really accurate rifle. Even at 100 yards.

+1

If you have to shoot, you are way ahead to use a wind flag. Then at least you can shoot with the wind blowing the same direction.

Shoot 50 yards if you have to shoot in a 10 mph wind...this will tell you what you need to know.

ON windy days, it is not the velocity that nails your hide to the cross, it is the changing directions by only 30* that leaves you scratching your head.

Your range will have a predominant direction. Watch the hourly weather on the internet, usually late afternoon or very early morning will be the best. Don't screw around. Carry 50/50 water/alcohol to cool your barrel, shoot 3 shot groups.

Below is a very, very effective wind flag:
1/4" steel rod, 42" long
14" bicycle spoke
1/2" piece of red yarn 24" long

wind20flags20006.jpg
[/URL]

My first p. dog hunting partner used to tell me, "these ole 6 mils shoot right through the wind".

I went to a benchrest match, and bought a wind flag from a guy there.

When I got back home, ole Bill and I went to the rifle range, Then set the flag up at 200 yards, not knowing one thing about how to read a wind flag. I watched the wind blow to the right, then to the left. Figured a fool leans to the left and a wise man leans to the right, so I shot when the wind blew to the right. Shot a bunch of 1/2" groups at 200 that day with my Ruger 77 V in 6 Rem.

My ole hunting partner was blown away.

We stuck surveyors tape on a wood stick on our dogs hunts from then on.

The 50 gr vmax at 3800 fps from the 22-250 will drift about 2.3 inches at 100 yards with a 30 mph full value wind. You definitely have to take that into account if you are trying zero a rifle or shoot groups. Most people will not notice/feel a 3-4 mph wind on their cheek. You will see 3-4 mph winds effect poi with accurate rifles.

The wind starts to die down about an hour before sunset. Have everything ready to go. In temps above 50 degrees I use a battery operated fan to cool down the barrel. Keep notes and make the most of that hour.
If you have private property available, at first light works too.
Alway! Always use wind flags! A wooden stake with a long ribbon works too. Wing from head and tail are the worst. (They can push a bullet up or down). The best is left to right, visa versa. Having another person along to watch for the switches in wind direction helps too.
I try to keep the wind 10 mph or less. Our club's range in in a valley surrounded by trees that helps block the wind.
Vertical spread is what your after. The less the better.
Good luck and tell us how you did.

Last edited:
I have the best setup within 700 miles of Fargo North Dakota. Our gun club has a 6-lane 100 Meter Underground Rifle Range that is 70 degrees all year long , with NO wind.
Checkout RRRMC.com for a look at our Rifle Range.
We have over 1000 members and almost that many walk in non members.
All my guns are dialed in and get one hole groups, when I miss a shot on game , there is no way I can blame the gun or scope.

Back