Nevada Coyote Contests - Bill Carries Penalties Equal To Manslaughter

It is sad that some liberals think that coyote contests and cow farts are important enough to waste time addressing. We have so many major problems that need to be addressed. It makes just as much sense as California prohibiting mountain lion hunting. Now California is paying government agents to kill excess/problem mountain lions instead of having hunters paying to do it.

I would like to see the contests go away, If we can keep the unintended consequences away, YES get rid of the contests, its not respectful of the animal. It also tends to bring out the worse in people.

Another example of "divide and conquer". First get rid of the contests. Then they'll push to restrict hunting coyotes and finally they'll outlaw hunting them altogether.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettI would like to see the contests go away, If we can keep the unintended consequences away, YES get rid of the contests, its not respectful of the animal. It also tends to bring out the worse in people.

Could you elaborate on how a hunter participating in contest is less respectful than a hunter going out when there is no contest?

Originally Posted By: steve garrettI would like to see the contests go away, If we can keep the unintended consequences away, YES get rid of the contests, its not respectful of the animal. It also tends to bring out the worse in people.

Don't like it, you have the FREEDOM to not participate. Laws outlawing a type of sport or hunting should be based on SCIENTIFIC FACTS and not personal emotions.

I'm sure the coyote cares why he was shot. The whole "Trophy", "Sport", "Food" or "Contest" argument is all about the "humans" perspective.

Hunters shouldn't use morality against each other..

I have no interest in participating in coyote contests. It would actually benefit me at times if contests were outlawed. However, I think banning contests is absolutely ridiculous. If someone wants to participate in a coyote contest, I have no problem with that. Do you really think killing a coyote in a contest is less ethical than a rancher shooting them because they came to close to some newborn calfs? Reducing coyote numbers in an area is very healthy for the coyote population. If hunters don't keep coyote populations in check, then coyotes will overpopulate until they die of disease or starvation. Other animals will also suffer because of an overpopulation of coyotes. Being killed by contest hunters bullet is a much more human death than a "natural" death for a coyote.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: steve garrettI would like to see the contests go away, If we can keep the unintended consequences away, YES get rid of the contests, its not respectful of the animal. It also tends to bring out the worse in people.

Don't like it, you have the FREEDOM to not participate. Laws outlawing a type of sport or hunting should be based on SCIENTIFIC FACTS and not personal emotions.

Originally Posted By: SoftpointI'm sure the coyote cares why he was shot. The whole "Trophy", "Sport", "Food" or "Contest" argument is all about the "humans" perspective.

Hunters shouldn't use morality against each other..

True and true. There are forms of hunting that I do not participate in. But that is my choice, and so long as game and fish says they are legal, then others who do choose to participate, should be allowed to do so.

For example, I do not use decoy dogs. But I have a lot of respect for those who take the time to train their dogs to hunt coyotes, and I think that you see some responses from coyotes to decoy dogs that you don't see while calling without decoy dogs. But just because I don't choose to hunt that way does not mean that I am going to advocate for outlawing decoy dogs.

Hunters should agree to disagree and leave it at that. This idea that we ALL have to agree is a classic liberal fallacy. I see hunters bashing on each other all the time, whether it be about what they choose to hunt, or the guns they use, or caliber, and this saddens me. You don't like a method, then don't use it. But if it's legal, it is that hunters right to use that method or hunt that animal. There are plenty of "big game" hunters that think that predator hunting is wrong and that it's not "real" hunting. I will just agree to disagree and walk away.

Hunting contests are no more "disrespectful" of coyotes than a guy going out on their own to drop as many coyotes as they can in one outing.

I just read on another board that this bill is DEAD, for now.

Several years ago there was a push here in Colo. to allow ecalls for mtn. lion. There were lots of hunters that were against it. Heck, made it easy for the anti-crowd to kill it.

We do this to ourselves gentlemen!! We are so ignorant and prideful about posting grotesque pictures of dead coyotes that it was only a matter of time. For heaven sakes, they are using our pictures to further their cause! The common chest puffer response is "f@ck the anti's it is legal and I can post big piles of dead coyotes if I want". That ignorant attitude will ultimately change laws. I'm tellin ya if the Instagram and Facebook heroes keep posting distasteful pictures it will only get more restrictive. Why not use the same grace as big game hunters?? It can be done in a tasteful or respectful manner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: littledawgWe do this to ourselves gentlemen!! We are so ignorant and prideful about posting grotesque pictures of dead coyotes that it was only a matter of time. For heaven sakes, they are using our pictures to further their cause! The common chest puffer response is "f@ck the anti's it is legal and I can post big piles of dead coyotes if I want". That ignorant attitude will ultimately change laws. I'm tellin ya if the Instagram and Facebook heroes keep posting distasteful pictures it will only get more restrictive. Why not use the same grace as big game hunters?? It can be done in a tasteful or respectful manner.

Some posts really need a “like” button.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: littledawgWe do this to ourselves gentlemen!! We are so ignorant and prideful about posting grotesque pictures of dead coyotes that it was only a matter of time. For heaven sakes, they are using our pictures to further their cause! The common chest puffer response is "f@ck the anti's it is legal and I can post big piles of dead coyotes if I want". That ignorant attitude will ultimately change laws. I'm tellin ya if the Instagram and Facebook heroes keep posting distasteful pictures it will only get more restrictive. Why not use the same grace as big game hunters?? It can be done in a tasteful or respectful manner.

Some posts really need a “like” button.
thumbup1.gif

yep. can not find anything in that post i don't like.

one of these
thumbup1.gif
will have to do.

We watch our political "leaders" literally applaud a law allowing the killing of a baby even after being born, then listen to them associate the killing of a coyote at a level of manslaughter of another human. It's like living in the twilight zone. Yet, I say Kudos to littledawg and his post. We are our worst enemy. Simply spouting "it's legal so Pzzz off" isn't going to accomplish anything.

the reason I think its not right. for one thing you have people doing in many cases illegal things to do it. night hunting in areas where its illegal. blasting through areas to reach numbers, with no regard to enjoying the scenery or the hunting experience.

besides look at who wins these deals anyways. in most cases they get some secret hookup on some sort of private land. its not a gauge of who is the best predator caller anyways.

so if its not really a gauge of who the best predator caller is, is it really a contest? or is it a I am better than you type deal. I personally believe its disrespectful of the animal and the experience of predator calling. you don't have to agree. The only problem I see letting a ban happen is it expanding into regular hunting. but if the ban was just that a ban and no more. I am all for it and hope it happens.

Good thing your Texas opinion holds no water in Nevada. Any law restricting more freedom, and that is based on personal opinion and not facts pertaining to the well being of that in question, is never a good idea.

Back