One Shot case lube spray

pyscodog

Great stuff IMO!

I had 18 fresh tumbled cases to resize and sprayed them with One Shot. I know your supposed to let it dry but I seldom ever do. Just my way, I'm not saying this is the way YOU should do it.Anyway, one case must have still had tumbling media in it and it got all over the other cases. I took a rag and wiped them off and not thinking, ran one through my press. It went in and out as smooth as silk. Long story short, just to see for myself, I ran the other 17 through the sizing die and everyone went as though it was freshly lubed. I been using it for quite some time now and its about as easy to use as any lube I have ever used. I put my brass in a pan, spray it down, mix it around and start resizing my brass. Haven't stuck a case in a long time using it.

When I first started using it sometime after it first came out, the instructions said to let it dry since it was a "dry" lube. The next day there would be a powdery film on the case.

Now when I let them sit for a day, they just look oily. I think they changed the composition of the spray to where you can apply it and go to sizing immediately. Which is a plus!

I think it is the fastest and most convenient method to lube a lot of cases.

I tried One Shot a long time ago and I hated the stuff, if it wasn't completely dry I would stick cases in the sizer die. I went with a lanolin bases lube in a pump bottle for large batch work(Frankfort Arsenal) it would dry faster due to having alcohol instead water base. I was loading in a high humidity area and the water bases lube was slow to evaporate. I use Imperial sizing wax for small batch and case forming.

I have used it for around 6 years and never had a stuck case. I don't let it dry either. The biggest case I load is 6MM though. Might be different with larger cases? I resize and trim all my cases and then put them in the stainless steel tumbler. This cleans any residue from the cases and they are ready to go.
Rudy

Originally Posted By: KenlguyWhen I first started using it sometime after it first came out, the instructions said to let it dry since it was a "dry" lube. The next day there would be a powdery film on the case.

Now when I let them sit for a day, they just look oily. I think they changed the composition of the spray to where you can apply it and go to sizing immediately. Which is a plus!

They still say to let it dry a minute and I adhere to that part.

One thing that many overlook is that on new dies you've just cleaned up a per-treatrmnt with it seems to make thing better from the get go. I stuck a couple cases in new dies years ago and now do it when I open up a new set. Maybe it was weird anomaly back then but it doesn't cost much to put a belt on those suspenders. These were on a Dillon 650 and the plate flexes so much more than a standard shell holder and doesn't have near the grab as a regular one. Perfect storm for the use of a case puller.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: KenlguyWhen I first started using it sometime after it first came out, the instructions said to let it dry since it was a "dry" lube. The next day there would be a powdery film on the case.

^^^^^^^^^^They still say to let it dry a minute and I adhere to that part.

One thing that many overlook is that on new dies you've just cleaned up a per-treatrmnt with it seems to make thing better from the get go. I stuck a couple cases in new dies years ago and now do it when I open up a new set. Maybe it was weird anomaly back then but it doesn't cost much to put a belt on those suspenders. These were on a Dillon 650 and the plate flexes so much more than a standard shell holder and doesn't have near the grab as a regular one. Perfect storm for the use of a case puller.

Greg

The first time I tried One Shot (guessing 10 Y ago) resulted in a stuck case. I promptly dumped the can and went back to old reliable Forster Sportlube (Now Hornady Unique) with which I have never stuck a case and I loaded a lot back then. The only drawback with the Sportlube is application method (case by case) and removal afterward.

Read all the threads touting the virtues of Imperial about the time I acquired a 243 WSSM so ordered some. As you probably know, the WSSM's are notoriously difficult to resize and are the ultimate test for any case lube,IMO. Imperial squalled like a banshee on the WSSM, so once more, I resorted to my Forster's, and went merrily on my way.

Another thread on the One Shot pointed out the "letting it dry" so decided to give it another try. Don't know if they improved the product or my failure to read the instructions (feature that!), but after cleaning my 223 & 308 dies thoroughly, decided it couldn't hurt to pre-treat with the one shot and set out to give OS one more shot. Love the ease of application and, hey...no stuck cases, when I follow instructions
cool.gif
, so have been using it ever since. I have not loaded the WSSM for a while, and if I do, I don't think I'll experiment as I still have enough Unique to wear out 3 or 10 WSSM barrels; I KNOW it works, just a bit slower.

I have the "makin's" for some alcohol/lanolin lube which I can find locally. Have to order One Shot, so when it runs out, I'll give the lanolin a try on all but the short stuff.

Regards,
hm

I clean then treat my sizing dies/bushings with one shot, even if I neck size using imperial. I am going to clean and treat all my bullet seating dies with one shot clean and lube.

I been using it on clean and fired cases both. I've let it set overnight and used it with the lube dripping off. Never stuck a case. I tried Imperial and it works great but the One Shot paste works just as well and I can get it locally and cheaper. If I'm doing a lot of brass the spray works the best.I have an aluminum pan that I dump the brass in. Give it a good spray of One Shot, (shake well before using)and wait a few minutes then give it one more. I also rattle the brass around kinda mixing it up. Works for me anyway.

I'm not sure why this stuff seems to get such a bad rap. I've been using it for ~14 years. I spray each row of cases in the block, reverse the block, and spray the other side. Then I go right to sizing. I've had a few stuck cases but they are always .223 (thin rim, can't take much force) and always when I kinda knew I missed some of the cases and should have known better. Typically you feel the die getting dry on the prior case and if smart you stop and re-shoot the next few cases to re-condition the die.

It's worked great for me on polished and some pretty nasty cases. I use it pretty much only for 223 cases because I load so many. I put one or two hundred cases in a plastic bag and spray them down, seal the bag and shake it around a bit then spray and shake a second time then open the bag and leave the room to let them dry for ten to fifteen minutes and let some of the lube settle out of the air.

I don't focus on spraying inside the necks and I havent had a problem. I do spray up into the sizing die every 50 or 100 cases and things run a bit smoother.

I am not a fan of the aerosol/fumes that will fill a small room, I plan on trying the alcohol/lanolin spray soon as I run out of the can of one shot I have now, but the stuff lasts a long time.

Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker I put one or two hundred cases in a plastic bag and spray them down,

whoa there buckaroo. you still have some of those nasty plastic bags in your possession? i am shocked. gasp, gag and all that.

Yeah no kidding! To be honest, when I load bulk plinking ammo I head to my buddies place and use his Hornady progressive and I grab one of his old grocery bags.

I have IL relatives in Commiforna, made a long(weekend seemed long to me) visit last summer. After they learned we still have plastic bags in Minnesota they all wanted me to care package them bags. You can get a lot of vacuum packed bags into the small USPS box.

The greenies and city powers that be hatched an ordinance banning plastic bags that was crammed down our throats for a year or so. Then our State AG sued the cities that had mimicked this plan and it was retracted.

You know, I haven't noticed a bit of change in our temperatures before or after the ban, and it is sure nice having the bags back.
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

As hunters and outdoorsmen it's funny to see someone argue against a liberal law that is trying to protect and clean the outdoors and wilderness. Sometimes I hope the most liberal of politicians pass a law banning plastic bags from being warn as face masks.

You're a long ways from me be but otherwise I would be happy to clean garbage out of ditches in my neighborhood and dump it on your land, you'd be a hypocrite if you have a problem with it.

I bought a bottle of this stuff to try out. I have not used it though.

I will clean my die and spray some up in there before i give it a try.

I use imperial right now. Also the RCBS roller pad has never let me down.

Back