CCI Quiet 22 LR Ammo

6mm06

Just thought I would share some testing I did today with the CCI Quiet 22 long rifle loads. These are 40 gr. lead solids listed at 710 fps. I used an old Remington 581 bolt action.

These rounds are like a long whereas Remington CBee loads are a short. They are pretty darn accurate considering they are slower at 710 fps vs 750 fps for the CBee's. They chamber easier than the CBee's too. I'll bet these would be really nice with a suppressor.

I shot two, 6-shot groups at 25 and 45 yards. At 25 yards I got .81", and at 45 yards 1.125" for 6 shots. I felt I may have pulled the last shot, but the first 5 shots went 1". On the left target (45 yards), the shot in the white outside the bullseye is the last shot. Four rounds went .688".

I am rather pleased with these rounds since they are quiet and plenty accurate enough for pest control.

47588535021_152e817c1d_b.jpg

32646067667_6b10c062c7_b.jpg

47535574372_3c26bb963d_b.jpg

One of my buddies has a lot of apple trees in his yard and was losing a lot of fruit to squirrels so he had been shooting them with a pellet rifle but had quite a few run off. He decided to try the CCI Quiet in is old .22 pump as he was concerned about one his neighbors not liking him shooting his gun in a (sort of) residential area. To his surprise (mine too) that ammo was not a very good killer and he got a lot of rodents that ran off after being hit. I'm guessing that their apple stealing days were over anyway but for sure they did not all drop at the hit. I have him a box of CCI .22 short hollow points that were sure killers and about the same db as the Quiet ammo so he went to that. He gave me a nice big bag of apples for that 50 round box of .22 shorts so that sure was a good deal for me.

GC, no, not to my knowledge. I picked it up a few years ago at a local gun shop. I haven't done anything to it and it looks original, a few scratches here and there but a very serviceable rifle. The trigger is a bit stiff but I got used to it. It's basically the same rifle as my 541-S, except the latter is more refined, has an adjustable trigger and nice walnut stock.

Actually, I would like to add a nice walnut stock on the 581 if I could find one, reasonably priced of course. That may be asking for too much.

Rusty, I have found the 22 shorts to be definitely louder than the Quiets. I have used 22 short HP’s quite a bit. The shorts are probably better killers though.

I also love those 581's and yours is in great shape 6mm06. It's to bad PMC stopped making the Moderator rimfire ammo. That stuff is very quite, but accurate. I was fortunate enough to squirrel some away.
smile.gif
Some say the Aguila subsonic ammo is the same as the Moderators, but not according to any of my rimfires.
Triggers on the 581's can be lightened and if one is really serious, they be modified with adjustment screws.
Did yours have the rear site?

i ran some testing with those quiet's when i first got m my can because its all i had at the time and 22 was all but impossible to come by (my stamp submitted like a month before sandy hoook)

they were stupid quiet suppressed and shot just under an inch at 50 for me, but of course wouldnt cycle my 10/22

i never considered trying to hunt with them because of course as noted they're not HP's

for hunting i like my norma's subsonic hp's... those baby's hit with authority.

Originally Posted By: Rustydust To his surprise (mine too) that ammo was not a very good killer and he got a lot of rodents that ran off after being hit. I'm guessing that their apple stealing days were over anyway but for sure they did not all drop at the hit.

I'll second that.Even standard velocity is sub par for squirrels IMO. I stick with CCI SGB's. They hammer everything up to a raccoon with ease.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Rusty, I have found the 22 shorts to be definitely louder than the Quiets. I have used 22 short HP’s quite a bit. The shorts are probably better killers though.

You know, I would think that they would be too but I'm just going off what he told me. He lives on 6 acres so I think that he is worrying too much about pissing off the neighbor anyway.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei ran some testing with those quiet's when i first got my can because its all i had at the time and 22 was all but impossible to come by

they were stupid quiet suppressed and shot just under an inch at 50 for me, but of course wouldnt cycle my 10/22

I messed around with shooting some these out in my shop through my Ruger 22/45 Lite and M&P 22 Compact with a couple different rimfire suppressors I have. Plant.One is spot on, this stuff is crazy quiet, I think my pellet gun is louder. I videoed my wife shooting this stuff and the sound of the empty brass hitting the concrete floor was louder than the muzzle blast.

It would just barely cycle the actions but it wouldn't cycle it every time.

Originally Posted By: B23

I messed around with shooting some these out in my shop through my Ruger 22/45 Lite and M&P 22 Compact with a couple different rimfire suppressors I have. Plant.One is spot on, this stuff is crazy quiet, I think my pellet gun is louder. I videoed my wife shooting this stuff and the sound of the empty brass hitting the concrete floor was louder than the muzzle blast.

It would just barely cycle the actions but it wouldn't cycle it every time.

yup. first time i brought my can up to visit at the folks and show it off, i dragged dad outside an just shot one into the hill behind the house - purely to demonstrate the noise thing. he was like "are you gonna shoot it yet?" lol

i had to take aim at the burn barrel and let the bullet go *DOOOOOING* on the drum for him to realize i'd actually shot hahah

his hearing is a bit poorly due to 35 years in the factorys, but yea...

if you hold the bolt closed on a semi with those - you can actually hear the firing pin hit the case rim when you pull the trigger
thumbup.gif

pure 100% giggle factor

These are 68decibels, i think sligjtly quieter depending how long your barrel is...ive killed 2 groundhogs around 8-10lbs with these, headshots, 1 took 2...id say max range is 20-25yds. More on smaller rodents.

Originally Posted By: K22I also love those 581's and yours is in great shape 6mm06. Did yours have the rear site?
Thanks K22. My rifle is in pretty good shape with only a few minor dings or scratches. I would like to find a walnut stock for it.

As I recall, the rifle did not come with a rear sight. If it did I don't remember it. I placed a scope on it right away.

you gotta be careful with those. yes they're stupid quiet... but...

in longer barreled guns they can lodge in the bore. i've had them stick before. buddy brought some up loose and the first one never made it out of the tube on the old 20" bolt gun we were playing with that day. we had to drive it out.

afaik those are designed for pistol use only.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneyou gotta be careful with those. yes they're stupid quiet... but...

in longer barreled guns they can lodge in the bore. i've had them stick before. buddy brought some up loose and the first one never made it out of the tube on the old 20" bolt gun we were playing with that day. we had to drive it out.

hmmmm, i have shot hundreds of them out of a 22" marlin bolt rifle. in fact, in my case that marlin rifle is pretty much dedicated for those little aquilas. never had one not make it out of the barrel.

do need to keep an eye on the chamber though. need to scrub it now and then or cases will start sticking.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneyou gotta be careful with those. yes they're stupid quiet... but...

THANKS! I shoot them in my Browning lever rifle. They do okay, puff and thud.
They have made some varmints sick. I had 3 in one Squrril, once.
Shot young groundhog behind his right leg and he didn't move, he died.
They just do not make a lot of noise.
I have Winchester 67A before I shoot them, I will clean the bore good.

Last edited:

I don't think I want to go lower than the 710 fps of the Quiets, not only for a potential stuck bullet in the bore (even though it may not ever happen), but mainly for dispatching pests. I know hollow points work well, but for reasonably quiet there is a load that is somewhat faster than the Quiets, the CCI Sub-Sonic HP lead at 1050 fps. These most likely will be better killers than the quiets.

I shot these out of a Ruger 77/22.

44005693421_9f85d36770_c.jpg

44005693141_d812036081_c.jpg

43956785432_f8a5e84589_c.jpg

Back