Most coyotes you've called in on one stand?

Best one calling has been 7 called 5 dead.
tJkCq3W.jpg

I'll admit I got a bit lucky by oh man was it awesome! I made a thread about it here.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...7848&page=1

Originally Posted By: OchocobullMost I ever called in was 5. Didn't kill a single one. Still hard to talk about to this day.
You're not alone there. I'd go so far as to say the majority of coyotes that come in as a group get to leave no matter who's doing the shootin. Everything would have to work out just right to kill every single one.

Everything has to work out perfectly just to call that many in at once let alone kill them all. That doesn't just happen every day. At least for me that's not how it works.

Last edited:
The very first time I went out with my new e caller I called in a group of 4 adults that came in from over 400 or so yards out like their tails were on fire! The whole group stopped nearly on top of my caller about 80 yards away and I slung an 87grainer right over ones back, to my surprise not a one budged. As i was cycling the bolt on my xs7 it dawned on me I forgot to reset my zero from range shooting the day before. So next I put the crosshairs at the very bottom of the chest of a coyote facing me and that dog didnt budge either, he just went stiff as a 2x4 and fell over almost like in a cartoon. The other 3 ran and I shot twoce more but they didnt connect

Last edited:
Called in 11 one time. They came across a flat 7-800 yds away got below me in the tall sage only got 1 shot big male rest stayed in the tall sage and disappeared fast as they came in
still mad about that

This year called in 4, 1 left healthy, 2 dead, one got away wounded. They were in a shelterbelt 500 yds away and lit up in response to my lone howl. The first 2 died, third should have but missed clean. The last one was at 515 yds and I ran out of ammo and he got away wounded, which ruined what would have been an awesome stand.

Originally Posted By: OchocobullMost I ever called in was 5. Didn't kill a single one. Still hard to talk about to this day.

yup me too.

I had seen a group of coyotes traveling from a heard of cows to pasture land where they would sleep the day. I decided to set up in that pasture after work with hopes of taking a couple out of the pack. made 1 stand with no sign of them so I walk a little ways further and I find all 5 of them in a flat bellow. immediately I drop down out of sight and crawl ahead to get a clear shot. they had no idea I was there and with 4 rounds in the rifle I start with the back coyote. miss followed by a frantic 3 more misses and I still had opportunity to shoot more if I had the ammo as the coyotes were totally confused as to what was going on. I walked away from that stand so mad at myself I just laughed the whole way to the truck. still makes me chuckle thinking about it, that would have been hilarious on youtube

The first coyote stand I ever took my son on I called up 5. Blew a close shot, got nothing on that stand. Ended up calling 10 coyotes on 3 stands that day, he killed 3, I killed none. We all have those days I guess.

One morning out by myself I called a pair and killed both right off the bat. Kept calling and a second pair came in, got one of them. I figured 3/4 solo was pretty good for one stand.

Me and my daughter went 3/3 on a stand one afternoon. It was her first coyote, and I got the other 2. It was a single first, and then a pair about 10 minutes later.

Usually I see singles or pairs. Every now and then 3-4.

We've called in 9 on 2 occasions.

First time we got 9, was the first time I took my wife coyote hunting. We were setup on a quarter section of open hay field, with a creek running behind us. I howled and they answered right now. I waited for a bit then rabbit dried and they came out about 300 yards upwind of us and just kept coming and coming. 9 of em showed up. I wish I had the mojo out as they would've come right to us. But instead they headed straight out from their location and just kept going across the 1/4. Got further and further away. No shot.

Next time we got 9 to show was taking a new hunter out for his first coyote hunt. I howled on the fox pro that was about 20 yards in front of us. One came on a string within seconds and we dropped it. I hit the ki-yi and 2&3 came on the run. I couldn't get them to stop as they flew right past us with no shot opportunity. #4 came straight from behind us and went right to the mojo. We ended his life right there. Coyotes 5,6 & 7, responded to a howl again just about 5 minutes after the last shot. They came on the dead run from our right and I managed to get one to stop and dusted him. Coyotes 8&9 came in right at dusk, right to the mojo after a rabbit cry. We managed to wound one but I found him in the morning. 4 dogs down on a 27 minute set with lots of action! The ne winter was hooked to say the least.

Called in 4 in a scattered pack.Shot the closest one which started kiyi-ing so I shot it again. Changed to pup distress and one came back, but I missed him. Another stayed in the woods barking at me. All this lasted less than 2 minutes and I only fired 3 times with an AR.

Had 3 pairs come in at the same time once.

The 2 from the N stopped about 150yds out, looking to the E. at a pair that was looking W. at a pair that was about 75yds out.

We only got 2.

The most I have seen in one place at the same time was 18-20, in early/mid December many years ago. I actually saw this on the same property, 2 years in a row. I believe this was a pre-mating ritual. One group had 8-9 in it, with 2 laying a few yards away, and the other group was downhill a bit, with about 6-7 in it, also with 2 laying close by.

Every once in awhile, one from a large group would walk over to the pair, circle them, then walk back to the large group.

I figured it was a 'sniff check' from the boys in the large groups to see if the girls were in heat.

Best I have ever seen is a pair. I'm betting that there have been others I didn't see. I have never killed more than 2 on a single stand...but I am still a rookie, An old rookie...
smile.gif

Back