VX-3I vs Weaver Grand Slam vs Nikon Monarch

Redleg84

Looking at ordering an optic and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the ones I'm looking at.

Weaver Grand Slam 4-16x44

Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm

Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42

They're all pretty close in price. I like the reticle in the weaver more so than the other two but I could get by with a standard duplex.

Thoughts?

I've had plenty of Weaver scopes 8or9 with not one problem even mounted on known scope killers, choking dust and rain.
Some concern about warranty when company sold and cutoff dates.
Also had scores of Leopold's some with warranty work which is good as gold so far. Scopes performed well. Some 30 years old did good as new, liked features, lightweight, and eye relief of each.
Never risked Nikon as several friends had warranty issues and I shied away from them.

I have leupold and Nikons, I actually like the glass on the Nikon better. Never had warranty issues with Nikon because I have never had to use it. My opinion they are good scopes.

I went ahead and ordered a Weaver, it's smaller than the other scopes and I think I'll prefer the varmint ebx reticle over the duplex. I just wasnt sure if it was going to be a big drop off optically with it

Grand slams have excellent glass and at least for my eyes much better resolution over the last monarch 3 I purchased. I haven’t owned a leupold for awhile so I can’t compare it.

I'm a die hard Leupold guy but man, where I'm from, they're pretty pricey.
I would go with the weaver. I have one on my 300 and haven't had any issues with it.

I've owned both the Leupold and the Nikon you mentioned and I don't think you could go wrong with any of the scopes mentioned. I prefer Leupold, but I'm a bit of a "fan boy" so take it for what it's worth.

Back