Tandem Coyote Video

Kirsch

This is a video from one of my most recent hunts. My hunting partner and I harvest these two coyotes with simultaneous shots. When editing the footage, I noticed 2 more coyotes were responding that we hadn't realized during the hunt. They are visible on the video between :10 and :14. The video was captured with my Flir PTS536.

Conditions: Temp = 0, 90% Humidity, and 100% snow coverage

Fine job on the two, the others were lucky. Question, when you use a scanner, do you have video with the scanner or no?

My Pulsar Helion scanner does record. However as soon as I see it is a coyote in my scanner, I put the scanner down, hit record on my thermal scope, and don't pick up the scanner until the coyote or coyotes are down. If I happen to be scanning only and having someone else shoot, I will sometimes remember to hit record. I am always the one doing the calling, so there is a lot to do. My hunting partner got a thermal scope this year, so we both can shoot. He plans to get a thermal scanner as well because he believes as I do, a coyote hunter is way more effective if he has both.

For my scanner: I use white hot when scanning because as you said the white-hot seems to pop a little better at further distances when scanning. I use black hot when reading terrain looking for calling spots.

For my scope: I use black hot. This habit started before I had an option for color reticles and backgrounds. When restricted to white or black reticles only, black reticles are hard to see on white hot as the black gets lost in the black background and white hard to see on the animal at times on Pulsar scopes. However, a white reticle on black hot, still typically shows up on the background due to the shading of the background and really stands out against the black coyote.

Now, I am using a Flir PTS scope so I have multiple color options for the reticle and background. I still like black hot, but switched to a red reticle. I also know the target dot is hard to see on the videos, but easy to see in my scope. It makes me really focus my shot which can be an issue especially during night hunting. I personally believe I can see the coyote's features better when they get close using black hot. A good rule of thumb is once the coyote's color shading becomes noticeable, they are close enough to shoot.

My comments are merely my preferences which will vary per person, and I even adjust them based on weather conditions, terrain, and more.

Meant to ask in a previous post but how would you say your image compares to that of an Trail XP50 (what I have)? When watching Flir images of coyotes they seem more rounded then those of my Trail.

I prefer to scan with White hot and shoot with Black hot.

To me I can definitely tell it is a Coyote versus a farm dog when using black hot.

I am using a IR Hunter M250 for scanning and an IR Hunter MK3 for shooting.

I also have an XP50 trail which is on another AR and hasn’t been in the field yet.

Thanks for the videos Kirsch........

Let
Me know if/when you want to come out to Colorado for a weekend if Coyote hunting.

Originally Posted By: case-nhMeant to ask in a previous post but how would you say your image compares to that of an Trail XP50 (what I have)? When watching Flir images of coyotes they seem more rounded then those of my Trail. Very different scopes. The Trail XP50 is regarded by many dealers as the most versatile scope in the Pulsar line up. The 640 core is really nice. It is often recommended when hunting a mix of hogs and coyotes. Pulsar videos don't look nearly as good as what the scope really looks like.

As far as the Flir PTS536 image, the biggest difference is the background. Most of my videos show nothing but a white background. That is because everything was snow covered almost all fall/winter in ND. However, even when it isn't, the background of the Flir PTS536 is still a little "messy". It isn't as crisp as the background on the XP50. However, if you zoomed the XP50 to match the magnification of the Flir, it wouldn't be nearly as clear either.

The image quality on the Flir video and the image through the Flir scope is much closer. The one aspect that is much better through the scope is the visibility of the reticle. Besides this, it is pretty close.

The actual animal through the Flir PTS536 is actually pretty good especially for a 320 core. The variation of color on the coyotes is very good and it is easy to see where the aim point should be. Not sure if this is the "rounded" aspect your are mentioning, but I believe it is the 12-micron sensor helping with the animal detail.

What the PTS536 has is a lot of base mag at 4x. At first, I thought I would miss the PIP of the Pulsar but in reality, I really enjoyed the higher base mag. My eye wasn't drawn in different directions and I was able to concentrate more on the reticle. For someone hunting cover, trees, or any terrain with a restricted view, it wouldn't be an optimal solution. For open field type of coyote hunting, it is very nice to be able to settle in and have a ton of confidence in the shot. I shoot much better groups with my Flir. Not sure if this due to the precision of the scope or simply the fact the base mag is higher. Either way, it groups better and I kill more coyotes that I shoot at.

The Flir PTS536 and the Pulsar XP50 are very different scopes. Both can kill coyotes. When Flir finally releases a 640 core PTS scope, it would be a better comparison to the XP50. The Flir PTS536 and the Pulsar XQ50 would be a closer comparison than the XP50.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisThanks for the videos Kirsch........
Let Me know if/when you want to come out to Colorado for a weekend if Coyote hunting. Appreciate the kind words and the invite. Hard to even find time to hunt in ND, so I doubt I will get out of the state anytime soon for hunting, but will keep it mind.

I knew their cores were different but the heads on the coyotes look more rounded and a little less coyote like and I figured it might be due to the core resolution. I think I would be inclined to choose more base magnification if I was hunting more open areas. I really like the PIP as it lets me find and follow the targets quickly as they can go in and out of cover like one was doing the other night then use the higher mag. to make the shot. They never look that grainy even at the 12.8 power to me. I had to put the scope down and pick up the 19a to get a bigger fov as he was going in and out of a creek/tree line not far from me and I was worried he might pop out right to my left, straight downwind, and at times the fov can be tight even at the base mag. My friend prefers the xp38 especially for that reason, bigger fov to start with. This one took over an hour to get in. More like 1/2 hour but didn't pick him up till I was about to leave. Had played pair yip howls then finished with coyote pupies at end after playing some different female howls and then saw this one out probably 500 yds. Think he may have been coming in to the lone howls but after hearing the pair might have been reluctant. Anyway, wound up throwing the kitchen sink at him. Different rabbit, rodent, bird, coyote puppies again. Nothing seemed to trigger him but seemed content to sit out there while hunting a tree/grassy side hill. Didn't want to go back to a howl and was scratching my head at what else to try when I thought I'd try a domestic/ baby kitten distress. Bingo. Started in but became more cautious as he came. Finally got him across the creek but was bobbing his head trying to check out the sound and made a turn to leave so I lip squeaked to stop him and nailed him at about 130. Never give up, never surrender huh. Next stand got another which turned to leave as one was barking a warning bark farther away. Whistled to stop this one and it turned around and started coming back! Go figure. They keep it interesting. I've made 3 long shots in the last several months with this scope, 240, 250, and one right at 300 so that 12.8x has come in handy. Have not used my D740 much lately; which I really like, as have been hunting a lot of areas that have more cover so the thermal gives me a good edge in these conditions. Really prefer looking at the target through the NV scopes as it is such a nice defined, and real target but the thermal definitely has advantages and recording your hunts is fun. My friend showed me a device they make now that attaches your phone to the side of the NV scope or scope it using a clip on and records. He's got some nice recordings from that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: case-nhI knew their cores were different but the heads on the coyotes look more rounded and a little less coyote like and I figured it might be due to the core resolution. Here are 3 potential reasons. First, to my eyes, coyotes always look fluffier/fuller in black hot versus white hot. 2nd, there is a reason Northern coyotes bring more money as they have thicker fur, so they will look rounder. My wife says some of our coyotes on video look like sheep and/or hyenas. They kind of do at times. 3rd as you said, the 12 micron sensors may change the look of the coyote. However, I watched some video from my Pulsar Trail from last year, and I don't see a lot of difference as far as the shape of the head. Fun discussion.

I'm sure looking through the scope personally would be better. I can tell what they are but when looking at the posted video. Compared with mine here that I have and what I know I see through mine they look a little less defined which I realized is not even close to apples to apples. Just wanted to see what you had to say on comparing the 2 as you have more access/experience with different scopes. Appreciate the input. Always looking to increase my knowledge.

Originally Posted By: case-nhI'm sure looking through the scope personally would be better. I can tell what they are but when looking at the posted video. Compared with mine here that I have and what I know I see through mine they look a little less defined which I realized is not even close to apples to apples. I wouldn't expect a 320 core $3800 scope to be as clear as a 640 core $5,000 scope. The last thing I should mention about the Flir PTS536 that bears mentioning is it has the touchiest focus I have ever seen on any thermal. Just a tiny bit of adjustment makes a huge difference. It is probably my least favorite part of the scope. These coyotes were not in perfect focus the entire time. I am not making excuses because this scope flat out kills coyotes. Whether I can see every blade of grass, etc, doesn't really matter to me as it works. My partner has the PTS233 and that is a 2K scope. Is the image as good as the PTS536, no, but it kills coyotes too.

Back