Snakehead Fishing in the Orlando,FL area

Top Dog

I plan on doing some Iguana hunting down in FL and was thinking of also going for Snakehead fish in the same canals.

Anyone have any experience of Snakehead fishing in that area??

Top Dog

With both those exotics you'd be much better off driving a few more hours south.

Last edited:
Broward/Dade counties
Dade county has something like 15 exotic fish species in the canals, including numerous snakehead and peacock bass. Not forgetting the iguanas, this morning in the three blocks I walked from my house to Walgreens I counted 27 from 24" on up with two that were pushing 60".

Last edited:
atd,
It looks to me that you are in a "target rich area"!!!!!

I presume that being in a close urban area,it would be difficult to hunt them.

Top Dog

In your own yard with a little discretion, fair game. But yes it would be a VERY bad idea to walk down the side walk and plink them off the seawall in the middle of Miami Beach.

Last edited:
atd,
I agree with you on that 100% but I guess there would be no real problem if you were to after them in a canal??? Of course if it abuts to someone's property that would be off limits for sure.

Top Dog

I think you'll be fine in some of the more remote canals shooting them off the wall or out of the trees. They love hibiscus to eat, so look for an area with that and they should be thick. They swim like fish and will dive in if they feel threatened. I've often wondered how the smaller ones( if I could catch one) would work for large Snook and Tarpon bait here in the salt water canals.

atd,

I think I pretty much have a good idea about the Iguanas,but I am also interested in fishing for the Snakehead fish which,I understand are causing problems in our southern waters.

Very few,if any,have come up to my area so are not a problem.....at this time.

Top Dog

Back