Need Prairie blaster opinions

000shock

A local guy has a foxpro prairie blaster for sale $300. One of the older models with the tx500 remote and decoy it looks like. Cant see any wear on the buttons at all so im thinking its only been used lightly at best. I live in nodak, where its pretty windy at times. Worth picking up or save for something with the tx1000?

Side question: can this be upgraded with the tx1000 later on?

TIA guys!

I have a CS-24B with the TX-505 remote, I also have a Fusion with the TX-1000.

I run my CS-24B for coyotes and the Fusion for foxes and bobcats.

I like the extra volume when calling coyotes, especially in wind. As for the remote, depends on your personal likes/dislikes. I don't mind the TX-505, I have used it for a long time and know how to navigate through it pretty quickly.

But the TX-1000 has some really nice features, like fox motion, fox pitch, fox fusion, which I think justify the extra expense. These are features that I have had to make up for on my own with the TX-505, so it can be done.

So then it really boils down to the dollars and sense. Can you justify the extra $250 for the new blaster with the TX-1000? If you can, do it. But if you feel that the $250 is too much, buy the older blaster and don't look back.

Thanks for a quick reply snowman. I dont think i can justify an extra $250 for a new blaster, but if the tx1000 really is that much better than the 500, and the volume/sound quality is about the same, i would be willing to go another $100 for a new fusion. I havent really found much for differences from the gen1 to gen3 blasters. Also, if i do go with the blaster i might only do it if hes willing to drop to $250. Have to see how that goes.

My bro in law uses a shockwave and loves the remote. Heavy gloves tend to like the 1000 buttons more from the sounds of it. From what ive read the blaster is better at projecting upwind than the fusion. Is that worth the trade off for the better remote though?

Given that you will be looking to reach out and need the volume, I might lean toward the Blaster and not worry about the remote. I learned to run my TX-505 just fine on my CS-24B and still run it for coyotes. I will go to it without hesitation.

So in the interest of the budget there is nothing wrong with the older Blaster.

Done deal. Offered $200 and he was good with it. Works great, and now time to play with the remote a bit and get used to it!

I also have an idea to make the buttons work a bit better with heavier gloves on, but i will report back if/when i try that out. Thanks again for the help snowman!

Originally Posted By: 000shockDone deal. Offered $200 and he was good with it. Works great, and now time to play with the remote a bit and get used to it!

I also have an idea to make the buttons work a bit better with heavier gloves on, but i will report back if/when i try that out. Thanks again for the help snowman!

For the buttons you can put some of the round rubber cabinet bumpers on the remote. Works really good.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: 000shockDone deal. Offered $200 and he was good with it. Works great, and now time to play with the remote a bit and get used to it!

For the buttons you can put some of the round rubber cabinet bumpers on the remote. Works really good.
Thats similar to what i had in mind. I have some really good cold weather double back tape and i was thinking of cutting some pencil erasers a bit flatter. Tape would clean up well if i decide to sell later on and erasers should work with heavy gloves. Cabinet bumpers would be a bit less work though. Next trip to the hardware store ill check them out. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 000shockDone deal. Offered $200 and he was good with it. Works great, and now time to play with the remote a bit and get used to it!

Sounds like you are a shrewd wheeler dealer! Congrats!

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoSounds like you are a shrewd wheeler dealer!
Ouch...my pride! Jk

He has had it for sale for a while and just got tired of it collecting dust. Sounds like he doesnt hunt much anymore either. I really didnt have much more than that saved up, but also found out this last weekend that the scope on my sons .223 is crap. Ill let him learn fundamentals with it and my .22 but a better scope is in his future for sure. Whatever i saved on this call will surely go towards his rifle. I cant wait to get him out on a stand with this and hopefully get one in the pickup for him!

Oh no, that was meant as a compliment. You hunt deals like you hunt predators and you struck while the iron was hot.

Bummer about the scope. I had a scope go down on me years ago, on Christmas eve. I had a hunt scheduled for the day after Christmas. So I swung by Wally Mart and grabbed a $40 Tasco with the intent to use it for the hunt then replace it. I did replace it...7 years later. Might be something to look at. Grab an inexpensive scope and let him learn on that. You might just find a Gem in there. I am a fan of Nikon's and Bushnell's which have some reasonably priced entry level scopes available.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOh no, that was meant as a compliment. You hunt deals like you hunt predators and you struck while the iron was hot.

Bummer about the scope. I had a scope go down on me years ago, on Christmas eve. I had a hunt scheduled for the day after Christmas. So I swung by Wally Mart and grabbed a $40 Tasco with the intent to use it for the hunt then replace it. I did replace it...7 years later. Might be something to look at. Grab an inexpensive scope and let him learn on that. You might just find a Gem in there. I am a fan of Nikon's and Bushnell's which have some reasonably priced entry level scopes available.
No offense taken...all you can do is throw an offer and hope for the best. No surprise if your told politely to urinate up a rope!

Yea, the scope sucks, but not much of a surprise. Cant complain about winning in a raffle really. I think im just spoiled since almost all of my scopes are AO and this is 100-150 fixed. When we were shooting (at ~25 yards; newer young shooter) it was either blurry target or blurry Xhairs. Im just going to keep him with a .22 and peep sights for a while until he has the fundamentals down, then step out with a center fire. Ill keep whalemart in mind though if the budget is low. Thanks!

Back