Car sales tricks

WeaselCircus

Anybody here with car sales experience? Been shopping for a new truck and without fail if it looks like I'm not going to buy right that moment, the salesman always says "hang on one second" and then drags over the "sales manager" to meet me. Then the manager will try to rehash all the details again, say glowing things about the truck, and ask things like "so what are you going to be doing with the truck?" etc. For the life of me I can't figure out what is the purpose of bringing out the sales manager. Does it really help convert sales? All it does for me is make me angry that I have to go over the same questions again for no good reason, and also makes me feel a bit patronized that if I say I'm not sure about this particular purchase then having some random other guy at the dealer say nice things about the truck will then make me decide to buy it.

Unfortunately car salesmen have learned every ploy known to man. They have earned a spot in the social ladder just above a street wise drug dealer.
The average guy will buy from the 3rd place they look at a car.
With car sales down nationally they will stop at nothing to keep you there in hopes of getting your money.
It seems unreal the things I have seen over the years, so nothing surprises me anymore.

I spent a couple winters doing sales for a local small used car dealership. We did not operate that way, we couldn't get away with it. Where we live its more like here are the keys drive it for a day and if you like you can pay for it when you bring it back tomorrow. But occasionally when a local guy was looking for something particular we would work deals with other dealerships in bigger towns to get what they wanted. Even in that scenario which was not handled the same way as a customer walking on the lot, but much more of a regular business transaction, they were almost unbearable to deal with.

I went shopping for a new Camry the other day. I wanted the XSE, black with black leather, nice stereo and the navigation system. I didn't really need a new car, I just wanted one and planned to keep my old one. Then they told me to get the navigation system I had to have a red interior and I hate red interiors. I actually thought the salesguy was kidding and only had a red interior on the lot that he wanted to move but nope, in order to get the navigation it only came with a red interior. I took my money back home.

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusAnybody here with car sales experience? Been shopping for a new truck and without fail if it looks like I'm not going to buy right that moment, the salesman always says "hang on one second" and then drags over the "sales manager" to meet me. Then the manager will try to rehash all the details again, say glowing things about the truck, and ask things like "so what are you going to be doing with the truck?" etc. For the life of me I can't figure out what is the purpose of bringing out the sales manager. Does it really help convert sales? All it does for me is make me angry that I have to go over the same questions again for no good reason, and also makes me feel a bit patronized that if I say I'm not sure about this particular purchase then having some random other guy at the dealer say nice things about the truck will then make me decide to buy it.

What brand truck?

Originally Posted By: FairChase93I spent a couple winters doing sales for a local small used car dealership. We did not operate that way, we couldn't get away with it. Where we live its more like here are the keys drive it for a day and if you like you can pay for it when you bring it back tomorrow. But occasionally when a local guy was looking for something particular we would work deals with other dealerships in bigger towns to get what they wanted. Even in that scenario which was not handled the same way as a customer walking on the lot, but much more of a regular business transaction, they were almost unbearable to deal with.

That's the kind I like to deal with but is hard to find - low pressure and mellow. I've never been one to make rash decisions on large purchases, so all the pressure and trickery to keep me on the lot longer just doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlue
What brand truck?

Was looking at a 2018 Nissan Titan today with just 5000 miles on it. Had a 2006 Titan in the past and it ran like a champ for years so thinking maybe another one but in the updated version. I also like some of the features on the F150's and Rams, but every other vehicle here in Idaho is one of those two it seems.

Many moons ago I spent too many years in the car business. They bring out the sales manager because most of the time they dont trust that the salesman has done everything to close the sale. The desk manager or "closer" always has to take another run at you before they let you go.

I always get a kick out of their games when I buy a new truck. With all the info available now it is a whole new ball game.

If you want to deal, you want the sales manager. The sales guy is just an info/paper pusher and has absolutely no say in how much a vehicle can sell for. If your going to pay sticker price, then the salesman is just fine.

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusOriginally Posted By: BleedsBlue
What brand truck?

Was looking at a 2018 Nissan Titan today with just 5000 miles on it. Had a 2006 Titan in the past and it ran like a champ for years so thinking maybe another one but in the updated version. I also like some of the features on the F150's and Rams, but every other vehicle here in Idaho is one of those two it seems.
A deal can be very complex if you have a trade in. If you are looking at a used truck with extremely low mileage and late model you are often enough better off buying new. There are so many incentives and low interest rates on new ones.
I can give you the inside info on a Ford. Pm me if you want my help

I worked for over 10 years for a national finance chain that financed auto dealerships. The guy that meets you on the lot or in the show room is called the "hook" His purpose is to get you into a booth and start the paperwork. If the deal stalls, the "manager" shows up with a better deal. Before he is through, the "closer" appears. This is called the turnover or T O system. I have been in the "back room" of several dealerships and listened to the conversations of potential buyers in booths that had been "bugged." If the salesman leaves the booth for a moment and the husband and wife discuss what would be acceptable, either in trade-in, total cost or monthly payments the dealership knows exactly how to proceed.

I’ve never heard any thing as funny as this thread. You guys are so far from the truth it is not even funny. I have worked for a Ford Dealership for 25 years. Car salesmen are some very hard working people. There may be a few bad seeds, just like any other business but most of them are good people. Look at the watch on your arm. You probably paid over a 300%markup. But a car salesman try’s to make a 10% profit and you guys call him a thief. Then you come in and take up a half a day of his time and then buy somewhere else to save 50 bucks. I need to stop right now before I start cussing.

One more thing, you guys don’t sound kind of like a girl, you sound exactly like girls. Grow up and go buy a car. There is tons of info on the internet. Google is your friend. Quit whining and grab yourself by the balls and make a decision. Or do you need to call your wife? That’s what I thought.

Originally Posted By: Rimrock1I worked for over 10 years for a national finance chain that financed auto dealerships. The guy that meets you on the lot or in the show room is called the "hook" His purpose is to get you into a booth and start the paperwork. If the deal stalls, the "manager" shows up with a better deal. Before he is through, the "closer" appears. This is called the turnover or T O system. I have been in the "back room" of several dealerships and listened to the conversations of potential buyers in booths that had been "bugged." If the salesman leaves the booth for a moment and the husband and wife discuss what would be acceptable, either in trade-in, total cost or monthly payments the dealership knows exactly how to proceed.

This is such BS! That is hilarious!

Last edited:
Back