Reducing Remington R-25 weight ???

pd1

I have a Remington R-25 in 7mm08. Will changing the stock and handguard reduce the weight a noticeable amount ?

Imo, not much. ARs just seem to be awakardly heavy. Ive had everything from 24" heavy barrels down to 16" pencil barreled carbines with different stock and forearm sets.

About a week ago i built my first 10.5" pistol upper with an omega suppressor and an Odin lite handgaurd....now im in heaven. Im never going back to a 16" barrel.

Last edited:
Keep it and do some push ups.lol I have a 22” heavy barreled 243 so yours is a lightweight compared to mine. I bought it for long range shooting with precision accuracy. Your not going to get that with a lightweight AR. My 14.5” POF P415 shoots .3” groups at 200 yards and that little thing is a tank. If you want light weight forget the AR and buy a bolt action. Years ago they made a lightweight 5.56 by I believe para ordnance. It’s not made anymore because the lightweight parts brake every other time it’s shot. Saw one at s gun show the other day and they were asking a grand for the POS. Lightweight and ARs don’t go in the same sentence. Imo the lighter the AR the less accurate and realistically your AR is around 7/9 pounds stripped so they really don’t make them much lighter especially in the oddball caliber you have.

Last edited:
Light is all relative. Light might be nicer to carry, but it comes at a price. Lighter parts tend to be more expensive and for the few ounces that you save, well, it might not be too cost effective.

There are skeletonized stocks available, as well as things like carbon fiber hand guards, but the reality is that the R-25 chassis is heavy because of it's overall size, not the furniture.

I run our PTG-10 in .308 with a fluted, stainless, 16in barrel, and when I slap my suppressor on it, she weighs in at 14lbs loaded.

Seems like a lot, but I find that it settles the rifle into my shoulder on stand, and steadies it while I am taking aim. I find that lighter rifles tend to waiver a bit for me.

If it's a shooter, stick with it and forget about the weight. If you can't, then you gotta let it go.

heavier is nicer shooting a non moving target off sticks or some rest. lighter is way better when you have to swing and track a target. you probably could put a minimalist stock on it to save some weight. but that is the wrong place you want to take off weight. I don't see they make them in 7mm-08 only 308 am I missing something? 7 5/8#'s is the listed weight which is pretty darn good actually. I would be interested in a 243, maybe. its too bad those gen 2 parts aren't sold as components. I think DPMS etc, has really sucked at pushing out their gen 2 ar 10 product. I think selling just parts to the builder crowd would actually help them sell more complete guns. heck maybe a standardization of parts happens as a result.

Steve they made them 15 to 20 years ago in 7-08. It’s an older, 1st gen, production rifle. They sold them for about 5 to 6 years of I remember. Good, accurate, rifles. They chambered them in n 243, 7-08, and 308. Don’t remember if they did a 260 at the time as well. DPMS and bushmaster juggled between them. Now it’s bushmaster in current production rebranded as Remington.

I always wanted one in 243 as well but didn’t want to spend $1200 at the time they were in production and wanted a longer barreled version so I finally after all these years I put together a complete 243 AR 10 for $650. Complete Aero lower for $200 on Black Friday and a complete heavy barrel air stoner upper for $449 shipped last fall when they were on sale for a $100 off. It’s a buyers market for AR’s right now.

Like all 243 and other AR 10 calibers in both bushmaster and DPMS they have 15 year old pictures of them in their websites but never in production. When they do it’s never advertised and you magically see them available in limited quantities on GB and then their gone for years again. I believe there is a lot of feeding and functioning issues with them in the past and that’s why they never were pushed marketing wise.

My guess is they’re having just as many issues with the gen2’s and that’s why your not seeing any push marketing wise again...or they produced very limited quantities as usual with committed buying dealers on the waiting list for them waiting to double retail them on GB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorSteve they made them 15 to 20 years ago in 7-08. It’s an older, 1st gen, production rifle. They sold them for about 5 to 6 years of I remember. Good, accurate, rifles. They chambered them in n 243, 7-08, and 308. Don’t remember if they did a 260 at the time as well. DPMS and bushmaster juggled between them. Now it’s bushmaster in current production rebranded as Remington.

I always wanted one in 243 as well but didn’t want to spend $1200 at the time they were in production and wanted a longer barreled version so I finally after all these years I put together a complete 243 AR 10 for $650. Complete Aero lower for $200 on Black Friday and a complete heavy barrel air stoner upper for $449 shipped last fall when they were on sale for a $100 off. It’s a buyers market for AR’s right now.

Like all 243 and other AR 10 calibers in both bushmaster and DPMS they have 15 year old pictures of them in their websites but never in production. When they do it’s never advertised and you magically see them available in limited quantities on GB and then their gone for years again. I believe there is a lot of feeding and functioning issues with them in the past and that’s why they never were pushed marketing wise.

My guess is they’re having just as many issues with the gen2’s and that’s why your not seeing any push marketing wise again...or they produced very limited quantities as usual with committed buying dealers on the waiting list for them waiting to double retail them on GB.

I think you are 100% spot on. I too believe they have had issues and don't really even try to crank these out. They are also very very hard to find locally and rare to see a gen 2 on the shelf. man its really too bad its kinda like they want to suck. they had the 30 rar, which I think all of us would have found to be really cool in other calibers, like .22 and .24, The only conclusion to be made is there just isn't a big demand for AR's and the varmint market. everyone wants to shoot heavy bullets and long range. I fantasize about a 55 grain 243 bullet screaming out of an AR at 4000 fps, knocking the pee waddlin out of a coyote or exploding a jack rabbit or pdog.

Last edited:
Lol...that’s why I bought the midway AR stoner upper in 243. Always wanted a 4K predator lazer AR with a 24” barrel. The uppers in stock again for $549.oo I’d tell you to check them out. Very heavy...with a 22” stainless fluted barrel. Nothing but great reviews on function and sub MOA groups according to the reviews. I loaded up a bunch of various loads with 55 grain CT NBTs to try once my warne scope mount shows. I put a CMC single stage trigger in it that brakes a little over 2 lbs. I never thought I’d get a complete AR10 in 243 minus a buttstock for $650 total. I had to sweet talk bushmaster and Remington to sell me the last black R25 butt stock they had laying around last fall for it. It’s a heavy log but I don’t care what what I’ve got into it. Any complete 243 AR is selling for $2/3G.

I’m curious how the 55 gr bullets will stay in place. I had to load them under minimum recommend OAL since they are are very short bullet. If they don’t I’ll probably run my old faithful 70 gr NBTs.

Here the one I put together. I did buy a few add ons like the trigger, grip, magazine, butt stock, and threaded end cap.

mEsydAt.jpg

I know when I talked with bushmaster on the stock they were changing out the magazine style on their new 450 bushmaster because apparently it has had feeding issues the last couple of years according to the person I talked to. I believe it’s every thing not chambered in 5.56 that they have issues with.

Last edited:

I have 2 DPMS AR-10 in 243 and 308.
I do rifle drills. Years ago it worked for my M14.
Over the head, drills helped the most.
I hit the gym for 2 days a week.

I find balance more important than absolute light weight. I had a 18" SPR profile that was nose heavy . Made it seem much heavier than it was. I think it would be cheaper to replace the barrel or even the upper and barrel and then sell the leftovers as opposed to sending it for a turn down.

Last edited:
Back