Picking a scope by calliber or use?

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Across the boards you see the question " What scope for my whatever caliber?".

So how do you determine what is a good scope, by caliber or use?

I'm strongly in the use category. I have a few different 222 Rem's and use determines the scope they will wear. One I use for calling and wears a 1-4x20 scope, perfect for those at your shoelace called critters yet more than enough power for a 300 yard shot on a predator. Another is for targets and varmints, it will more than likely never be shot at anything closer than 100 yards and wears a 6.5-20x40mm scope. Both are perfect for what they are used for.

Years ago I shot a 7mm Rem Mag and a 270 Win for deer, both wore 1.5-4.5x20's not everyone first thought for scoping them BUT they were used for still hunting the forests of northern WI and MN. With 175RN's in the 7mm and 150gr RN's in the 270 they were just about perfect for the task.

So when you see a post "Scope my 260 Rem" do you think of what would work for that caliber or do you say to yourself "I wonder what it will be used for?" before making a suggestion.

Excellent discussion. I too find myself in the usage category.

I look at it in the same way that I build rifles. When a customer wants me to build a rifle I always start by asking, "what are you going to use it for?" This lays out the framework for the build. The same is true for optics.

For up close and personal, I usually run scopes lower than 2 power. If I have to go further out, 4 power and up. I tend to run Nikon Coyote Specials since they have the circular reticle that helps with running shots. I have a 4-12x40mm on my PTG-10 .308 that I use for coyotes. I have a 4-16x50mm with an illuminated mil-dot reticle that I use on my 6.5 Grendel for night hunting. My .17 Remington AR-15 I use a 2.5-10x42mm with BDC's.

I personally like BDC's and Mil-Dots as they give me multiple aim points. I missed a couple of foxes a few years back because the scope I was using was a "donut dot" style that did not have multiple aim points and I had to guesstimate my aim point and that didn't work out well.

I use to think Bigger was Better but not anymore.Paper puncher's get bigger scopes and hunting rifles get lessor power. My hunting rifle now wears a 3x9 and for the most part it sets on 3 power.

When I buy a new scope it is very purpose oriented. For my predator rifles they are in the 1-6 or 2-7 power range. 90% of our hunting is up close and personal.

My big game rifles also are scoped with "for use" scopes. I like lightweight with mil-dot in the 3-15 4-16 power range.

have never even considered the caliber or cartridge when choosing a scope.

Use for sure, but I can't say its always been that way. My 'everyday' truck gun wears a 3-9, my prairie dog guns go up to 15 or 20x on the top end. Calling guns have 2.5-10x or 3-15x if they might go to the dog towns some. Experiences and terrain seem to weigh in everyones choices it looks to me like.
I carried a 4-20x on a Colorado elk hunt once, NEVER AGAIN. Live and learn.

I also choose a scope based on what I plan on using the rifle for. For the most part, I like to keep things simple and low power for hunting. Prairie dog rifles usually wear something with the top end around 14-16x with a hold-over type reticle. I do have one rifle setup for PRS style shooting which wears a heavy scope with exposed turrets. Also do have one rifle that is used for "longer" range shooting and hunting that has adjustable turret with zero stop.

Anyway, none of the scope choices are really based on caliber, just what I plan to use the rifle for.

I not only choose the optic for the intended use of the rifle but I also choose the rifle for the intended distance of the quarry that I am going to pursue and the game that I expect to encounter.

I lean towards caliber potential then quarry. Flat shooters get the long range scope and heavy weight calibers get the close range fittings.
.270 Flat. >400 8.5-25, .308 Mid.

Caliber or use? It's kinda the same isn't it? I'm not going to take the 30-30 with a 1-4 scope on a mountain hunt where I plan on shooting 1000 yards across a canyon, nor would I take a 338 lapua with 7-35 scope for a white tail hunt in the timber.

I guess I would be in the use category, but when I make my choices the cartridge is part of it as well.

Always go by use. A 1-4x24 or a 4-12x44 can be thrown on a 223 but each will serve a particular purpose better than the other. One thing to add about choosing by caliber is if you have something that kicks make sure you get a quality scope and mounts regardless of what power you choose. Whenever you hear someone complaining that their lower quality scope keeps rattling off zero you laugh under your breath when they tell you it sits on top of a 338 Lapua (true story).

Generally target size determine's the scope for me. At say 300 yds a coyote is actually a pretty big target, something like a 3-9X is more than enough. At the same 300 yds a sage rat is a very small target. 9X might then be on the low side. I have several 3-9X scope's on different rifle's but mostly because they are much easier to find than other power's. A 243 has a 4 1/2-14 scope I got for a different rifle just to fool with. Only thing I ever shot at with it was a paper target at 500 yds and I used 8X. I think seeing well can be shot down when you use to much power and watch your heart beat in the scope!

The correct way to choose a scope involves several factors. First you need to decide on an general price range that you are willing to pay. Next you need to know how the scope will be used - hunting stalking with no rest you use lower magnification from 1x up to about 6x. If you hunt from a stand you may want a variable power scope with the ability to use higher power to get a closer look and examine which of several animals you are after so something in the 3-9 or 4-16 power range might be a good choice. If you bench rest target shoot you may want even more magnification like 5-20 or eaven more. The down side to higher power scopes is that they are not as bright in low light.
42mm objective scopes are brightest at 6x or less.
50mm objective scopes are brightest at 7x or less
56mm objective scopes are brightest at 8x or less

a 2x scope makes something at 100 yds look like it would 50 yds away.
a 10x scope makes something at 100 yds look like it is 10 yds away.
People tend to buy scopes that are more powerful than they really need.
To get onto a moving animal at about 50 yds a 2x or 3x is about right and you may not be able to get onto it rapidly with more power.
1st focal plane scopes the reticle appears to grow from small at low power to larger at top power but the marks usually mil dots sometimes MOA in the reticle always represent the same thing.
A second focal plane scope with a balistic reticle is ususally only true at the highest power of the scope and as you dial down you tend to shoot over the target.

I’m a firm believer that the shooter’s needs to meet the application is the driving factor to determine barrel length, cartridge, bullet choice, rifle weight, and optic. The optic is for the shooter, not for the rifle.

Its all about use, nothing to do with caliber. Scopes are the biggest can of worms though. When you ask about them you will get answers to the same question that will be from 1x to 32x and from a walmart cheapo to a S&B... It really is insane what you see recommended. Last good one I saw was a guy wanted a hog hunting scope. Someone suggested fixed power 10x or 12x SWFA LOL. A fine scope indeed, just not when a pig is cornered and wounded!

Back