M1 Carbine

hm1996

Staff member
Maybe I was just never issued a good one, but the M1 carbine is the only weapon I could never shoot expert score with (2 attempts). First try, the bolt lug cracked through the extractor cut, hopelessly jamming the rifle; last try the rear sight ran down on rapid fire string resulting in a nice little group just out of the 3 ring. I was really happy when I changed MOS and got my old Garand back.
thumbup1.gif

This fellow got hold of a really nice one and it seems to shoot rather well.

Regards,
hm

A 30 M1 Carbine loaded with lead tipped round nose 110 grain bullets and jack rabbits go together like bacon and eggs. They make for a great combination to spend a day jump shooting jack rabbits.

I used to use the Hornady 110 grain V Max to magazine length. Looks a little funny, but operated without a hitch. Pretty accurate and puts Yotes down on the spot.

I grew up with an M1 Carbine. Dad carried one during Korea and through the Formosa troubles shortly after Korea. Dad bought bunches of bulk surplus FMJ and we plinked often with the carbine. Dad could shoot anything well, but watching him with the carbine was special. It was an extension of his being, and it was obvious he knew that rifle inside and out intimately. It was our home defense, truck and farm gun. It was stolen in a home burglary.

Darn, Jeremy, your carbine must be better than most in accuracy dept. what with that pile of tree rats!

Been a long time since I shot mine; had to put a Milett red dot on it since the irons vanished a number of years ago but as I recall, it shot fair but had some room for improvement.

41451792850_2ef57af311_o.jpg

Then I discovered the following articles on the carbine. Just may have to do a little tinkering.
smile.gif

CMP Notes on M1 Carbine

ACCURIZING THE M1 CARBINE

Regards,
hm

Ive not fired neither of my pair. I got a good deal on a pair in VG condition. I guess I never thought of it as a small game or even a varmint getter. Its just been a historical article much like my pre-64 Winchester 94. Newer 10/22 and old faithful .270 WIN have filled the bill for what some are using a M1 for. Im torn between refurbishing (a few wood dents that actually should iron out) the M1 stock or retaining its patina (age era realizm).

Originally Posted By: IdahoRogerI think my dad shot one of these years ago, that would make it very special in my eyes!!! He was a drill sergeant in WW2.

Dad was a Navy CPO and commanded a LCV (landing craft) in the Med. during WWII. He carried one of these M1s. He didnt speak much of his time then, only the best of times. He teared when he mindfully recalled the bad.

Originally Posted By: IdahoRogerI think my dad shot one of these years ago, that would make it very special in my eyes!!! He was a drill sergeant in WW2.

Dad was a Navy CPO and commanded a LCV (landing craft) in the Med. during WWII. He carried one of these M1s. He didnt speak much of his time then, only the best of times. He teared when he mindfully recalled the bad.

My Dad told of some very bad times in the war, he didn't like talking about them either. He was sent over seas after he demanded to be released from being a drill Sargent. He fought in the battle of the bulge, and helped to liberate some of the concentration camps. What you see on TV is the real thing.

My Dad had a soft spot for the little M1 even had a Ruger Black hawk in 30 carbine. No wonder he was hard of hearng.

An employee of mine was moving to another place. As he dug back into the closet he found an M1 Carbine he had forgotten he even had.

It looked like a basket case but it was all there and the stock is not cracked. He brought it to me and though I have never had been a fan of them (anemic ballistics in my mind) the allure of a possible diamond in the rough was too strong. The day was rainy and my employee was interested in a project with the backhoe (has a roof) and I seeked out the roof and walls and heat of my man cave. The owner would drop by now and then to check on progress and lend me a hand if I was stumped on reassembly. Little by little I cleaned this seemingly poor pathetic little rifle.

A friend dropped a few rounds of carbine and the next day a ten round GI magazine.

Another evening under my belt and I was ready to test fire it. I survived!

Next came a few more rounds and the magazine. Not only did I survive and the carbine fire again, it carried up successive rounds and cycled without a hitch!

Another day and I announce the progress to the owner. He nonchallantly announces he ought to sell it. I ask him how much?

He says .... um, a 150.

I ask him if he is sure about that! He is affirmative and I give him a day to think about that some more. Next day he has not backed off so I bought it.

My friend with the ammo and magazine has a gun blue book and I grab the carbine and we discover it is an early Inland . Not the very most sought out but well up in the pack by far. Even in pathetic looking condition it was worth quite a bit more that what I have in it.

Later we handloaded some rounds and I set about working over my stock of golf balls. It is an easy 35 yd gun on them. The only thing I do not like is chasing brass.

Three 44s

Last edited:
I got lucky and snagged an M-1 carbine with a 5 digit serial number on a CMP lottery a couple years ago. It's a really handy rifle. It's no 30-06, but punches above it's weight. I think I read somewhere that the USA made more carbines than Garands.

414238381.jpg

414238382.jpg

414238383.jpg

Back