90 grain 6.8 SPC loads?

jk2paintworx

I am in the process of working up a load for my 16" AR. The barrel is Ar performance 1:11.25 twist. I am currently shooting NightOps 110g Sierra PH at 2694fps .5"-.75" @100yds. Considering trying a 90grain. Anybody have experience with 90g 6.8 bullets? Using it for coyotes.

90 grain Speer TNT, 90 grain Sierra HP and the 90 grain Gold Dot all are very accurate out of my 16" Bison. The Gold Dots are a bonded bullet and good for anything including deer.

H4198 is my powder of choice with CCI 450 primers. Velocity runs between 2850 and 2900 FPS with all of those bullets.

29.5 of R7 and 90 TNT was super accurate with my AR performance barrel and also in my WOA barrel. .5 moa easily if I did my part..... not a very "fur friendly" load i might add

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Firehand29.5 of R7 and 90 TNT was super accurate with my AR performance barrel and also in my WOA barrel. .5 moa easily if I did my part..... not a very "fur friendly" load i might add

That is very close to my load for 90 gr. TNTs, and 90 gr. Sierra HPs. Both bullets shoot sub-MOA groups, with the same brass, and RL-7 charge, at the same POI. I kind of feel like I won the lottery. Oh, it is also a ARP 11.25:1 5R barrel, too.

Squeeze

I've used every powder mentioned so far (other than Benchmark) and had good accuracy with all of them. Only AA2200 hasn't been mentioned yet and it is good on accuracy and speed. These powders were all shot with 90 and 95 grain bullets, best COAL was 2.9"ish out of an ARP 16".

If you shoot the 90 TNT and hit a little too far back, there won't be much weight/reason to drag it out to your pickup.

And don't shoot your call with it! Kidding, it looked like a good time in AZ.

Last edited:
Shooting the Federal American Eagle 90 gr TNT factory load in a Daniel Defense 6.8 SPC 18" barrel with 1 in 11 twist. Groups are right at 1" with an older Flir RS 64 60mm thermal set at 4 power. It leaves a softball size exit wound on a coyote out to 250 yds.

Thanks guys. Subpar, I will do my best. I would like to think that I would not shoot the call with a rifle but after reading a recent post in the Hunting forum I see that it happens. If it does I just hope it's my own call this time.

90 Sierra AA2200 20inch Stag. 2930fps. I always have to pull one of the five to the right. Not bad for thermal at 100 yards.
9D9MKrRm.jpg

Thanks for the info Guys. I really like the RL7 and 90TNT combo. Initial testings are just over .5 at 100 yds with 29.4grains. Are you guys seeing any pressure signs with 30.5 RL7? Anyone know what the max load is with this powder and a 90g?
Over on the 68 forum guys are getting 3000+ using CFE BLK... might have to try that next.

As far as 90 grain bullet selection goes, are there any that will get the job done but not blow big holes? Not to worried about it this time of year but when the fur is good I would hate to ruin em.

Last edited:
If you're worried about fur just give up on the TNT. I've not shot anything with the gold dots yet. But if you want to load up an expensive round, the Barnes 95 TTSX would probably fit the bill.

Subpar. I look at those Barnes TTSX bullets every time I am at Cabelas. I can’t bring myself to paying that much but it’s getting harder to pass em up. I end up shooting quite a bit at the range and price is so much more than the other choices. Tempted though.

Some of the info I have seen about the Barnes is that you have to clean the barrel very well before switching to Barnes or from Barnes back to traditional.... which brings about investigating bore scopes, solvents and cleaning methods to verify "clean".

I have both the 6.8 and the 6x68.... if I were to do it all over again... i would just go with the 6x68.. shoots 55's to 85's into very small groups and 90grain accubonds about .75 for pigs and deer. No need to shoot expensive Barnes bullets with the 6x68 to get accurate loads and loads easy on fur...

I use the 6.8 on pigs mainly

my .02

Last edited:
Back