PTS233 Questions and Problems

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterOriginally Posted By: LDhunterI'm in Florida but I've operated mine in 22F temperature and I can't imagine how tough it would be to use gloves and try to operate this or ANY NV or thermal scope I've seen or used.

If you modified your index fingertip in the glove where you could slip your trigger finger out and use that I think it would work. Some gloves are made that way these days for the trigger finger so you can shoot without having to completely remove your gloves. I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine and one finger can easily work all the controls for the PTS233.

The last time I was out at night it was -18, but that is probably below the operating range for the unit anyway. 0 to +20 would be more common in January. Besides turning it on and video/picture functions, what functions of the scope need to be manipulated during the stand? Zoom?
Thanks, and sorry for derailing your thread. The button issue you raised got me to thinking about use with gloves.

Everyone's different but I fiddle with palette constantly on the stand and when I change palette then of course I need to change reticle and zoom is lots of fun but I am getting to where I leave it on 1x until game is spotted.

You might fiddle with more but those are my main things I adjust often and of course as I get more used to it I suspect I'll know what palette, reticle, zoom level etc. I'll need for most situations in advance.

Like Skypup said... 6 months will likely be your discovery months until it's as natural as a regular daytime rifle scope.

I'm headed for the woods...
wink.gif

Keep yer' powder dry....

Main thing is practicing distance estimation. Use it often over and over again in your backyard at night at known distances so that you become familiar with distance estimation on different sized animals at various distances, trying to keep magnification use at a minimum for distance estimation but when done with that use magnification for positive ID.

I've had my PTS233 for a year now and finally got everything working and am getting better using it but somehow I've misplaced my product manual and trying to use this scope without being able to refer to the product manual especially since I haven't used it in a couple months is tough.

I tried googling PTS233 manual got nowhere and the Flir website just sends me in constant loops and I never get to a pdf manual to download.

Does anyone have a link or a pdf of the manual they can send me? If it's a pdf please just PM me and I'll give you my email. I'm hesitant to put it on the open forum for fear of inviting spam which we all have too much of already... LOL

TIA,
$bob$

Originally Posted By: LDhunterI've had my PTS233 for a year now and finally got everything working and am getting better using it but somehow I've misplaced my product manual and trying to use this scope without being able to refer to the product manual especially since I haven't used it in a couple months is tough.

I tried googling PTS233 manual got nowhere and the Flir website just sends me in constant loops and I never get to a pdf manual to download.

Does anyone have a link or a pdf of the manual they can send me? If it's a pdf please just PM me and I'll give you my email. I'm hesitant to put it on the open forum for fear of inviting spam which we all have too much of already... LOL

TIA,
$bob$

I looked around and found nothing. In looking at FLIR's "support" page for my PTQ136, I find the same - no manual, no firmware, just a sell sheet. It seems I jumped on board the FLIR ship while it was taking on water.

Well.... I finally found the user's manual anyway. It was in the bottom of the case the scope came in... Imagine that... LOL

Yes. It seems that Pulsar is rapidly outdistancing Flir in a lot of categories but then I've been looking at Pulsar stuff for a few days so maybe I should be looking at Flir again.

I'm almost for sure going to be replacing my Flir Scout TK with a Pulsar Helion XP38 this week and yes it's a LOT more money but it looks way too good to pass up and it get's phenomenal reviews.

One thing Pulsar is doing is offering a free ballistic app called Stream Vision with their thermal rifle scopes and it's pretty full featured. They also offer a thermal scope with an integrated laser range finder. Also not cheap but it looks pretty amazing.

$bob$

Originally Posted By: ChR1s I looked around and found nothing. In looking at FLIR's "support" page for my PTQ136, I find the same - no manual, no firmware, just a sell sheet. It seems I jumped on board the FLIR ship while it was taking on water. I am not sure why they don't have their manuals online, but if you believe you wish to update your firmware, contact their support department. They will send you to a person who emails you the files. Hopefully, this process will change in the future. Flir definitely experienced some growing pains when they acquired Armasight. I've personally found their service to be pretty good when calling but I haven't had to send any product back for service. That is a good thing, but this would be a better test of their service.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: ChR1s I looked around and found nothing. In looking at FLIR's "support" page for my PTQ136, I find the same - no manual, no firmware, just a sell sheet. It seems I jumped on board the FLIR ship while it was taking on water. I am not sure why they don't have their manuals online, but if you believe you wish to update your firmware, contact their support department. They will send you to a person who emails you the files. Hopefully, this process will change in the future. Flir definitely experienced some growing pains when they acquired Armasight. I've personally found their service to be pretty good when calling but I haven't had to send any product back for service. That is a good thing, but this would be a better test of their service.

We will find out shortly ... they have my 233 called them the day after it got there they told me it should take 3 weeks to a month before it makes it to a bench for diagnostics. From calling them numerous times with various questions I am under the impression they are severely under staffed although Kevin Desmond seems very nice lol he is THE support guy.

Hopefully they will take care of yours sooner than they have my RS32. Unit was sent in mid Dec. Called early Jan and they couldn't find it. Then they found it and told me I'd get a call when the unit was on the bench. That was almost a month ago. Haven't been able to speak with a person since...

Be glad that is the only problem you guys are having. I use mine as a scanner. When the weather gets down below freezing half of my screen turns black. When it does a nuc it will clear up for a little while and then goes back to half a black screen. It is really frustrating. I did the firmware update. I guess I will be sending it back here shortly. Does anyone else have any experience with anything else like this?

Originally Posted By: bobfoxBe glad that is the only problem you guys are having. I use mine as a scanner. When the weather gets down below freezing half of my screen turns black. When it does a nuc it will clear up for a little while and then goes back to half a black screen. It is really frustrating. I did the firmware update. I guess I will be sending it back here shortly. Does anyone else have any experience with anything else like this?
Running a PTS233 and PTS536. Units seem to power off after shot once in awhile (seem to be surrounding ARM shot activation feature). However, nothing like you are describing. We have used both Flirs down below zero. I don't think this is it, but maybe something got changed in the enhancement settings. You could try resetting scope to factory defaults. Also, could try some of the other options under Menu - Enhancement and see if it happens on all of the different options or just some.

If it is still doing this after resetting and after trying some different enhancement options, I would absolutely send it back.

I will try resetting it tonight when I get home. Hey Kirsch I see you are a nightgofgles prostaff. I have called and emailed them with no respnse. I bought two night stalker pro tripods. I am having an issue with one of the ball heads. Any way you can help we?

Originally Posted By: bobfoxI will try resetting it tonight when I get home. Hey Kirsch I see you are a nightgofgles prostaff. I have called and emailed them with no respnse. I bought two night stalker pro tripods. I am having an issue with one of the ball heads. Any way you can help we? Pm inbound.

Update, they sent me a "new" unit. Took about 50 days, but I have it and it works. They said they were sending a new unit but I don't think they did as it appears to me as refurbished. I base this on the fact it doest have the black Flir sticker with S/N etc. just had a white sticker that will peal off over time. Gonna take it out tomorrow and send some rounds if I get a hair I may go hunting.

Back