Leupold CDS

I've had a few and they worked really well. (Never stretched it further than 400 yards however). I did chronograph mine before ordering. I think you'll be happy!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI chronographed my loads this morning also.

Good deal, I bet it'll be on the money.

Which scope are you doing this on? I really like my CDS for a not-so-often-cranked-on scope. I think for a hunting rifle and on a day of steel, they're about perfect. I am not so confident on them for a turret twister type, but that's just me. I really like the zero-stop feature once you get it re-cut by Leupold.

Its a 3x9 VXR with Firedot with the windplex reticle. Its on my 7mm08 hunting rifle. I'm not a knob twister but thought it would be perfect for my hunting rifle. Its usually on a low power when hunting anyway, thats why I just went 3x9.

Last edited:
Just ordered mine last night for my 22-250. I don’t have a chronograph so I went with the specs on the Ammo. Maybe before summer I’ll buy one. Can’t wait to try it out.

I know. But with no chrono and I don’t know anyone with one either. It’s a hunting gun. I’m sure it’ll be close enough

Well,if it doesn't match perfect, its a dial. A few trips to the range and you can figure out what graduations do work. They may match perfect. I'm new to this myself so we may compare notes when we get our dials. Good luck!!

I called Leupold and they adjusted the FPS. Hornady uses a 24” barrel for testing and mine is a 22” so they subtracted 100fps and felt that will be much better for my dial. My gun likes the 50gr Superformance ammo so I’m confident it’ll be more accurate after the adjustment and speaking with them. I should get a chrono in the future though.

I use a ProChrono. Not expensive and works good enough for what I do. About a hundred bucks new but you'll need a tri-pod, but they are cheap to.

Most the factory loads I have chronod have been pretty close (with same length barrel). Another way would be to shoot and get your real world dope at distance, actually the best way. Like mentioned, if it's off you can adjust. I bet it'll be plenty good for you. Now wind.. that's a different animal!

The CDS dial I have on a VX-3i atop my .300 WSM allows me to dial and put a bullet within a couple inches of the point of aim out to 600 yards. It'll crank to 800, but I ran out of room at our range and don't really see myself shooting at critters beyond 500-600 in good conditions.

I generally hunt thick woods and probably didn't need the CDS dial but it was free with the purchase of the scope so I figured I may as well get it. My shots are usually pretty close but I thought, better to have it and not need it as need it and not have it. Maybe someday I'll hunt somewhere and be able to actually use it.

If it’s within a couple inches I’ll be ecstatic. Again it’s a hunting rifle and not a competition gun. Anxious in finding out how it’ll perform. Unfortunately I still have about 3-5 more weeks of waiting.

I got my dial last week. Way sooner than expected. I got it on, (super easy) and dialed it in dead on at 100yds. The range is closed this week for some repairs, but next week I'll run it out to 300 as that's the farthest I can shoot there.

Nice! Maybe mine will be here sooner than later. Let us know how it is out to 300. Our range goes out to 600 so I’ll give a report whenever I can make it out. Don’t hold your breath for my report though it might be a couple months.

Back