Looking for some non res antelope hunting advice.

Rock Knocker

Me and a buddy are looking to get out and try to do some more hunting around the country. Antelope hunting seems like a good spot to start.

I havent looked into every state but it seems like non resident rifle hunting is by drawing only. No problem, we hope to apply in a few states and see what happens.

What are some of the better states to go? Plenty of public land is a must. And when we apply can we apply in groups so we each get a tag? And how hard are the tags to draw, what sort of wait times are expected?

Wyoming is always good, but a lot of private land. I've killed a 17 incher there some 3 decades ago. My ex gave away the mount to spite me. So now I'm trying to bonus point my way in to a trophy unit in Utah.

My guess is any western state would be good. AZ might be a good bet for a huge trophy. Everything in AZ is huge. Drawing a tag is small chance, though.

Wyoming would be a great bet for you. Do some research and start applying. The highest trophy quality is in the Red Desert but that is well known and the tag is not easy to draw. I would suggest applying for something up around Buffalo or Gillette. There are lots of antelope and ranchers are willing to let you on for a minimal fee. If you want to hunt public land, pick a spot between Rawlins and Rock Springs and apply for it. Compare public land maps with drawing odds from Wyoming Game and Fish and you will find something that works for you. Remember that application deadline for non resident antelope is May 31 and the tag will cost you $341. Happy Hunting!!

New Mexico has some good goats, and recently changed the rules to "expand" hunting opportunities on public land. It remains to be seen if that will actually work. You can apply with up to four hunters per application, and if your app is drawn will all get a tag. However, drawing odds totally suck. But, you can't win if you don't play. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat more.

Back