Two coyotes with shotguns today!

derbyacresbob

IMG_1724 by Robert, on Flickr

Got the above male coyote on our first stand of the morning. About 40 yards drt with a 1-7/8 oz load of HW13 Bb shot.

IMG_1765 - Copy (2) by Robert, on Flickr
3 or 4 stands later this female ran up to about 25 yards from jp7mag and then it turned to leave. jp7mag dropped this coyote with a 3" 1-1/2 oz reload of Hevi-Shot BB.

IMG_1772 by Robert, on Flickr

Here is jp7mag with his shotgunned female coyote.

IMG_1807 by Robert, on Flickr

jp7mag walking towards our last rifle stand.

IMG_1823 by Robert, on Flickr

I took the above picture while laying prone with my rifle.

We had a fun day even though it rained and the wind blew all afternoon.

Originally Posted By: btech29That is some beautiful country Bob. Do they run cattle on that ground?

Yes they do have cattle on both the ranches we hunted today.

Thanks for the pics! I forgot what green grass looks like...long winter. Last time I was in California I caught a 7’ mako out of Dana Point. I took a break from predator hunting in AZ and my buddy who lives there trailered over his boat and we fished for a day. Caught it and wanted to get back right away so the meat wouldn’t spoil. Was a neat trip. Some guys from overseas stopped into the harbor that were sailing what looked like an old pirate boat at the time. Got a few coyotes with some old discontinued Remington HD BB shot at the in AZ the next morning. The stuff hits like a hammer! I shoot 99.9% of my coyotes with a shotgun and lead or HD BB shot. I always keep a rifle in the truck just Incase but I seems that most spots I call in I can’t get a shot much over 40/50 yards...even in AZ. I set up that way on purpose. I like the rush of up close, in your face, predator hunting. I switched to shotgun almost exclusively after blowing up a coyote and bobcat at almost point blank range years ago. The cat almost brought tears to my eyes as it was the second one I ever shot and wrecked it. BB shot saves pelts. I’ve DRT’d both cats and Yotes past 65 yards with BB shot. Last trip out I was calling with my buddy who couldn’t see a coyote we called in. It was the third on the same farm that morning. I through it was 75 to 80 yards. I aimed about a foot over its head as it was facing me to give it a Hail Mary. I dropped it! I pulled out my range finder...106 yards! I was using discontinued Remington HD BB shot. After the range finding the coyote got up and drop it’s but slowly till my buddy finished it off with a rifle. I broke both back legs with HD BB shot. HD BB is some great stuff! Wish they’d bring it back and not at $3/4 a shell like it was back in the last 90’s. I am almost out of HD shot. Think I have about 12 left at max. It’s going to be a sad day when there gone. I never made it there this last winter but the winter before I called and shot 9 with HD BB. Under thirty yards I got got complete pass throughs with some of the HD BB pellets. Really bloodied them up. The last one I shot was the only one that didnt DRT. It didn’t go anywhere but it’s tail started spinning around in circles while it was laying there like a windmill...about 20 times and and then it let out one bill last howl! That was all he wrote and was done. That was a dead run shot at about 15/20 yards with a bead on its nose. He was on a bee line to my decoy. Too cool!

Are you reloading the HD shot? I don’t think anyone commercially offers HD shot anymore.

Last edited:
redhaze, I was shooting a Remington Versa Max Waterfowl Pro and jp7mag was shooting a Beretta A300 Outlander.

Dultimatpredator, in my opinion the Remington Wingmaster HD BB Waterfowl 3" 1-1/2 oz loads were a better coyote load than Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot, Remington Wingmaster Predator T shot, Federal Heavyweight Coyote 3" 1-1/2 oz BB shot loads or any lead number 4 buckshot loads are.

The Remington HD BB loads have 70 pellets per shell so they have 20 more pellets than the H-S Dead Coyote and REM HD Predator T loads and they have 8 more pellets than the Fed Heavyweight Coyote BB loads and they have 28 more pellets than 3" lead number 4 buckshot loads.

The 12g/CC BB pellets are the perfect size and density for killing coyotes unless you want to pay twice as much for TSS shot. The very hard 12g/cc BB shot penetrates very deep and break coyote bones much more often than lead BB shot or lead number 4 buckshot does.

The HW13 BB shot that Bucks Run Sports Supply sells "1-507-356-2195" is almost identical to Remington HD BB shot. You can reload 1-1/2 oz 3" loads for about $3.00 per shell. At $3.00 per shell that is about $1.50 to $2.00 per shell cheaper than the Hevi-Shot Goose "B" loads or Dead Coyote T shot loads are selling for now.

I have reloaded lots of the HW13 shot from Bucks Run and I can't tell the difference in performance between the HW13 BB shot and the Rem HD BB shot. You have to call Bucks Run to order the HW13 shot and the SAM 1 wads to reload it.

Back