Wilson HAMR 300

I don't see it, and I'm honestly surprised that the 6.8 forums crowd would be all that interested in it. It looks like all they did was lengthen the 7.62x40WT cartridge a little more, so they could stuff a little more powder in it. When I look at the velocity numbers, it doesn't outperform the 6.8SPC or the 6.5 Grendel with 110 or 125 grain bullets. The HAM'R likely has a slight advantage once you get to 150 grain bullets but, because the of the length of the case, you're gonna be strictly limited to shorter bullets with little or no boat tail on them. If you're already running a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC, I just don't see this one doing anything for you.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensI don't see it, and I'm honestly surprised that the 6.8 forums crowd would be all that interested in it. It looks like all they did was lengthen the 7.62x40WT cartridge a little more, so they could stuff a little more powder in it. When I look at the velocity numbers, it doesn't outperform the 6.8SPC or the 6.5 Grendel with 110 or 125 grain bullets. The HAM'R likely has a slight advantage once you get to 150 grain bullets but, because the of the length of the case, you're gonna be strictly limited to shorter bullets with little or no boat tail on them. If you're already running a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC, I just don't see this one doing anything for you.

I have to agree with you. If the goal is to get what you can out of the 223 case then it makes some sense. The new Winchester 350 Legend is one such though it is not a true 223 case like the HAMR or the 7.62X40.

30 caliber does offer a few things just by the cross sectional size but a bit of velocity is helpful IMHO. It certainly fills the bill for hogs but I prefer a bit more umph. The American 30 Ritch designed is my go to small 30 case and it is doing well on big game out to 300 or s. I don't have any urge to build a HAMR. I'll probably do a Legend fr something to toy with but for now the 223 sized ones just aren't cutting it over 25caliber for me. YMMV

Greg

Of course changing over to this when one owns a 6.8 would be just for fun.

But for somebody who did not own a 6.8 it could be more economical and fill a niche

The slow twist really helps the thing get good velocities without pressure. Short flat base bullets allow for the best case scenario powder fill. Very simple concepts indeed.

A 125 grain Sierra going 2450fps out of a 16 inch barrel is not terrible. It will still have close to 1000lbs. of energy at 200 yards.

The following assumes you have a bunch of rifles/parts on hand already. One would need:

Barrel $250
Surefire Muzzle suppressor adaptor $150
Reloading dies $40
Bullet seat gauge $25
Cartridge gauge $25
500 new cases $140
1000 Sierra 125's $300
8lb jug of CFE BLK $165
Case of primers $40

For $1135 you can buy everything you need to assemble and shoot 1000 rounds.

Then have 3-4 pounds left over.

For people who live out in big wide open spaces this is no good.

I live in the mountains and trees. It is a rare shot past 300 yards. With the vast majority being around 75 - 150 yards.

to me the whole concept is pretty meh. why not use a 30 based on the 6.8 case instead of the 223? or for that matter, just get the 7.62x39 going instead. Yeah I know there has been challenges to making that work. I don't see the point of the whole thing. all these new cases for the AR15 should begin with one question how can we get 40 or more grains into a mythical case. When that happens we will finally be on to something.

All good philosophies Steve.

I suppose the 7.62 requires different mags, a different bolt, less bullet selections and lower velocities at a higher price.

I am not sure how to use a 30 based on a 6.8 case?

Any ideas?

I shoot a HAM'R. And a 6.8. And a 30 Herrett AR. And a 308. Not one kills hogs better that the others. But what the HAM'R has an advantage over the others is less cost to shoot. Using Lake City 5.56 brass, resizing, trimming and loading with Speer 125gr TNT cost is $.295/round. You can reduce this to $.21/round if you keep the brass. When you shoot over 100 rounds a night that is a significant advantage. That bullet will run 2600 fps out of a 18in barrel. We hunt at night with thermal shooting mostly running hogs and where the HAM'R shines is very little recoil so you can retain a constant sight picture. It's a fun gun that's very accurate and cheap to shoot.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogBlackout on steroids.

This is what the blackout should’ve been. However, I’m with GLShooter and his line of thinking.

Back