Crimped primer Pockets on 22-250

Jetboat1

I purchased some Winchester 22-250 brass yesterday. When I opened the bag to inspect the cases before starting to work them, I noticed there were crimps in some of the primer pockets. They are similar to what you would normally see in some military brass. 20 piece of the 100 had this. Has anyone experienced this before?

I do not claim to be an expert by any means on reloading. What I do know is that it is not the way it is supposed to be. Whether it’s a crimp or not I guess would be left to some expert, possibly yourself. I do not know how to share photos on here, and that is the reason I don’t have one posted. Thanks for your reply, even though it was of zero help.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI would say that you don't know what you are looking at.

sounds like the first time i saw a picture of pelosi. i had no idea what i was looking at. scared the crap out of me. seen mangy coyotes that looked better. yuck.
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetboat1I have not tried. The primer pocket I measured with the crimp is 15 thousandths smaller than the regular case primer pockets.

.015" smaller!?
scared.gif
Large rifle primer pocket should be right at .209". Sounds like you got a bad batch of brass.

Regards,
hm

New brass never primed would not have a crimp. It is crimped after it is primed. If anything you have a bad bag of brass

Originally Posted By: reb8600New brass never primed would not have a crimp. It is crimped after it is primed. If anything you have a bad bag of brass

Yes.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: Jetboat1I have not tried. The primer pocket I measured with the crimp is 15 thousandths smaller than the regular case primer pockets.

.015" smaller!?
scared.gif
Large rifle primer pocket should be right at .209". Sounds like you got a bad batch of brass.

Regards,
hm

If the primer pocket is .015"smaller than the rest (.194"), a .210" primer definitely won't go; bad brass.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: Jetboat1I have not tried. The primer pocket I measured with the crimp is 15 thousandths smaller than the regular case primer pockets.

.015" smaller!?
scared.gif

Regards,
hm
Well, he did say it was new Winchester...

Maybe someone made 22-250 out of military 30-06 or 308? If that is possible. Winchester brand though so that wouldn't make sense. Winchester doesn't make military rounds that I know of. Of late Winchester is about the worse brand of brass a person can buy.

Rudy

Sounds like one of the machines lost a finish primer pocket punch. Some of the infinished brass got mixed in. A call to winchester should get you replacements

Typical Winchester brass roulette as of late. You're likely going to encounter a few split necks of the first firing or two as well...Lapua makes good 22-250 brass, Norma next. It pays to pay for the good stuff.

I have been having problems with WW brass too.

Federal Premium is my go to brass now. I have never shot such amazing and consitant groups.

No culls etc.

Back